Amp Spectrum Pack v1 (for Curve EQ)

VH100R

Jul 13, 2006
Porto, Portugal
This is a fraction of the amp collection clips I have so I named it Pack v1.

EDIT: Updated dead link.

Get it HERE

You'll need Voxengo's Curve EQ (NOT FREE!)

To apply the spectrums read here

For the lazy asses:

1. Insert Curve EQ on your guitar track.
2. Click "F" on the Curve EQ GUI to open the file dialog.
3. Load an Amp spectrum file (.cqs)
4. Click "M" and choose the number of bands (sometimes 60 works best, sometimes 7, sometimes others, try it)
5. Play your guitar track for some time (20 - 30 seconds)
6. Press "S" to stop the match. You will hear now the matched guitar track.

NOTE:

A) When matching the spectrum of a certain amp to your guitar track, sometimes the results are to drastic (to much boost in the lows, treble etc) in order to minimize this use the up/down arrows on the Curve EQ GUI these are used for atenuation.
I find that sometimes I need to use 3 or 4 clicks of atenuation (click 3 or 4 times with your mouse on the down arrow in curve EQ) in order to balance the original track to the matched spectrum.

B) I included the Engl Fireball Preamp spectrum for a more mids and more scooped sound. These spectrums should be applied to your preamp tracks (pre cab/impulse). Like using it after Wagner and before slamming an impulse.

AMPS list for Pack v1:
---------------------

BLANKENSHIP (Variplex)
BOGNER (Uberschall, Duende)
ENGL (Fireball+Fireball preamp, E530 preamp, Powerball, Savage, Savage SE, SpecialEdition)
GARLAND (Shadow Walker's custom amp)
Krank (Revolution)
LABOGA (Mr. Hector)
LANEY (VH100R)
MARSHALL (Superlead)
MESA (Dual Recto, F50)
PEAVEY (5150, 6505, JSX, XXX)

most amps feature several spectrums.
About file naming: [BRAND][MODEL][LETTER][NUMBER][DESCRIPTION]

- LETTERS (A, B, C, etc) are for different sources
- NUMBERS A1 (Mids) , A2 (Scoop) mean they are the same amp/configuration but different EQ.

That's it!
More amps coming in the future.

take care

LG

Thanks for those :)

It's worth noting that the effect of these depens on what riffs your playing before pressing 'save' and what riffs were played for the creation of those curves, e.g. open chords will be a lot different from palm mutes.

Thanks for those :)

It's worth noting that the effect of these depens on what riffs your playing before pressing 'save' and what riffs were played for the creation of those curves, e.g. open chords will be a lot different from palm mutes.

Yes. I try to use clips that have different kind of riffs and chords to capture as much information as possible.

The thing is. Curve EQ is really precise.

Try making a Curve'q file from your amp then apply it to the source track. It stays the same! So the Curve EQ isn't just about staging EQ :) but real spectrum match.

Don't forget to use the Atenuation arrows, these are critical to get the best out of the spectrums and your tracks.

I normally load the file and click the down arrow until I'm happy with the sound.

take care!

Hey VH100R, can you post a quick of the EXACT riff you played to capture the spectrums? In my experience, each riff will generate a different tone when EQ matching, especially when palm mutes are involved. I have found in my Curve EQ collection that riffs I copy off CDs with a lot of low end palm mutes do not match well at all to the original source while open chord riffs match extremely well. All the Curve EQ files I stolen from riffs with no palm mutes.

Hey VH100R, can you post a quick of the EXACT riff you played to capture the spectrums? In my experience, each riff will generate a different tone when EQ matching, especially when palm mutes are involved. I have found in my Curve EQ collection that riffs I copy off CDs with a lot of low end palm mutes do not match well at all to the original source while open chord riffs match extremely well. All the Curve EQ files I stolen from riffs with no palm mutes.

I didn't use clips from cds. I used clips made from the owners of the amps. Selected the ones I considered to be the best recorded ones, trimmed the clips to include riffs with palm mutes, open chords, high notes, solos etc. and made the files.

Of course It will capture the spectrum of the amp thru the setup used (from mic to pickups) and the files are limited to the information available in the riffs. Now if we could capture the spectrum feeding a signal to the amp that would cover the entire frequency spectrum that would be great :)

awesome man. I'm glad to see my amp in the list (F50). I can't wait to try these out. Does anyone have any other tips on how to use the curve eq?