Anthrax at Madison Square Garden 1991

timmyc

Dec 16, 2002
Hey people - I'm just wondering..... Scott Ian has always said that one of his career highlights was playing on the Clash of the Titans tour and playing at MSG. Was this show (or any other on the Clash tour) ever captured in full on video??? I would love to see it someday.

timmyc said:
Hey people - I'm just wondering..... Scott Ian has always said that one of his career highlights was playing on the Clash of the Titans tour and playing at MSG. Was this show (or any other on the Clash tour) ever captured in full on video??? I would love to see it someday.

I was the Clash of the Titans tour in Philly and that was such an amazing show...I too would like to know if there's a video of that tour that exists somewhere out there :headbang:

I was at there, it was a great show. First time they did "bring the noize" live with Public Enemy. The band was excited about it and the crowd went nuts. Alice in Chains, Slayer, Megadeth also.

timmyc said:

There's at least one bootleg video that hasn't been circulated. I don't have it.

My old boss at Starbucks saw the tour at Alpine Valley in East Troy, WI. He said that Dave Mustaine threatened to walk offstage because the Slayer fans were throwing things at him.

jdelpi said:
There's at least one bootleg video that hasn't been circulated. I don't have it.

I have the philly show on audio. I've only listened to it once. The sound quality is so shitty. I don't even know where the CD went. Must be around here somewhere.

JohnThrax said:
I absolutely cant stand when fans of other bands throw shit at people on stage.

I would have loved to have seen that tour. On the subject of shitty crowds; I was at the Lollapalooza 96 when Metallica headlined. The first shitty thing I saw was after the first song from the first band (Psychotica), the singer said "Hey! How is everyone?" The dude next to me shouted, and since there wasnt very many people there (maybe 100 at that point) yet, you could hear him plain as day. "YOU SUCK GET OFF THE STAGE!!" Kinda felt bad for the band, first tour and first album, first show....first asshole. Then (Metallica bashers will love this) after Soundgarden, Chris Cornell told the crowd "Metallica is up next, you can all go home now." The first 2 rows did an about-face and left. I was thankful otherwise I would have not gotten front row center!!

metal_thrashing_kansan said:
I would have loved to have seen that tour. On the subject of shitty crowds; I was at the Lollapalooza 96 when Metallica headlined. The first shitty thing I saw was after the first song from the first band (Psychotica), the singer said "Hey! How is everyone?" The dude next to me shouted, and since there wasnt very many people there (maybe 100 at that point) yet, you could hear him plain as day. "YOU SUCK GET OFF THE STAGE!!" Kinda felt bad for the band, first tour and first album, first show....first asshole. Then (Metallica bashers will love this) after Soundgarden, Chris Cornell told the crowd "Metallica is up next, you can all go home now." The first 2 rows did an about-face and left. I was thankful otherwise I would have not gotten front row center!!

Chris Cornell really said that?? What a dick?? Hard to imagine him saying that as I have always liked his work with Soundgarden and Audioslave. I wonder if it was a cut at Metallica or Metallica being booked on Lolapalooza. Lolapalooza was so much fun when I was like 15. Dad driving me, my brothers and my friends out to some field in West Virginia to see a festival. Then it got all stupid and eventually died.

I think the law fucked up the fun you can have at festivals. That's why their so huge still in europe. Why can't there be those kinds of shows here in the states?? Because a 3 day camp festival would be a jarhead cop's field day.

spacebeer said:
Where was the "live noize" vid shot then?

It was shot at Irvine, CA on the "Bring The Noise" tour with Public Enemy. If memory servees, it was about a year after Clash.

Crabmeat said:
It was shot at Irvine, CA on the "Bring The Noise" tour with Public Enemy. If memory servees, it was about a year after Clash.

No, it was the same year as Clash in the United States. Clash was in the summer of 1991 and Live Noize was Oct. 19, 1991.

Oh, and the venue was Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre, now known like 25 dozen other places as the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre.

AlexStomp said:
Chris Cornell really said that?? What a dick?? Hard to imagine him saying that as I have always liked his work with Soundgarden and Audioslave. I wonder if it was a cut at Metallica or Metallica being booked on Lolapalooza. Lolapalooza was so much fun when I was like 15. Dad driving me, my brothers and my friends out to some field in West Virginia to see a festival. Then it got all stupid and eventually died.

I think the law fucked up the fun you can have at festivals. That's why their so huge still in europe. Why can't there be those kinds of shows here in the states?? Because a 3 day camp festival would be a jarhead cop's field day.

I am not sure there why he did that. I know there was ALOT of contraversy about them (metallica)even being on the tour. As I look back on it, perhaps it was meant as a joke to the popular opinion? I still had a damn good time. And there are a few festivals like that here. Metalfest is one (I think its in Michigan?), its two or three days. There are a few others that are underground, metalcore stuff, but not with big name bands.

metal_thrashing_kansan said:
I am not sure there why he did that. I know there was ALOT of contraversy about them (metallica)even being on the tour. As I look back on it, perhaps it was meant as a joke to the popular opinion? I still had a damn good time. And there are a few festivals like that here. Metalfest is one (I think its in Michigan?), its two or three days. There are a few others that are underground, metalcore stuff, but not with big name bands.

Yeah, I just like the diversity of the some of the line ups for the the festivals in europe. Metalfest can be fun and all, but seriously, out of all that metal, there are maybe 2 or 3 decent bands and the rest are always mediocre or just bad.

jdelpi said:
No, it was the same year as Clash in the United States. Clash was in the summer of 1991 and Live Noize was Oct. 19, 1991.

Oh, and the venue was Irvine Meadows Amphitheatre, now known like 25 dozen other places as the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre.

Jeff went to it. The one that was taped. I don't know if this Live NOize tour ever hit the DC area.

Black Thirteen said:
Good work Justin.
MSG was great. I wish I had a video of it.

Scott,

Me and Tom M. never gave you or Charlie a copy of the MSG video? That's strange, I thought we did. It's not an amazing video, since MSG is of course a union hall, I just went into the loge towards the back curve on the right side, and held the vid cam up to my face, no pass on.
I guess Justin can give me a mailing address where you'd like the video on DVD-R sent to?

Side note : We were on an elevator at that MSG show somewhere in the backstage area, and the other 2 people on it were some unknown girl, and Eric Carr. I had never met him before, and he just looked at us and nodded his head and smiled (looking like the really nice guy that tons of people have testified that he was). I was too stunned / bummed to say anything to him because I noticed right away that his face was basically white as a paper plate, he didn't look well at all. That was 6/28/91, and for those who don't remember the timeline, it was only 3 months later in September he left consciousness, and then passed away 11/24/91.

AlexStomp said:
Yeah, I just like the diversity of the some of the line ups for the the festivals in europe. Metalfest can be fun and all, but seriously, out of all that metal, there are maybe 2 or 3 decent bands and the rest are always mediocre or just bad.

I wasnt going to say it...but yeah I TOTALLY agree with that. One of the bands I have played with from Kansas has been there 2 or 3 times. A band called Crop (Dead Orchestra played about 10 years ago). Crop is not all that great. They have been a band forever, but just dont have anything "new" to offer. Anyhow, any band can get on metalfest. Either come up with $1500 or sell 500 tickets to it. Or that is what I was told. Now, if I could go to the Dynamo Open Air, or the Open Air in Brazil, THAT would be cool.

Descendent said:
My old boss at Starbucks saw the tour at Alpine Valley in East Troy, WI. He said that Dave Mustaine threatened to walk offstage because the Slayer fans were throwing things at him.

The singer for AIC did that at the Weedsport show--because the fans kept chanting Slayer and throwing rocks at the band