Anthrax: Live - The Island Years (Audiophile Limited Vinyl Edition)

Edward Yawn

New Metal Member
Sep 14, 2005
Under your bed
I recently got a brand new unplayed vinyl copy of Anthrax's live album "Live - The Island Years". It is supposedly the "Audiophile Limited Vinyl Edition", but I do not understand what is audiophile about it. The LP is not 180 grams and it is not 45 rpm. It is a standard 33 rpm 120 gram disc it seems. Anyone heard this edition of Anthrax's live album? Any idea what makes it an audiophile pressing? I have only heard the CD version and I do not have a turntable to test the LP. It is certainly unusual to find heavy metal on vinyl labeled as "audiophile". Very mysterious. The LP cover is not even a real cover. They just enclosed the CD booklet. See these pictures:

anthrax2.jpg

anthrax.jpg

anthrax3.jpg

Audiophile Guide, Meaning , Facts, Information and Description.

An audiophile, most generally, is a lover of sound or music, but the word is more commonly used about someone who cares about hi-fi playback of sound recordings, rather than live performances. In some cases, an audiophile desires an improvement in the sound quality of live performances, which is often remarkably poor.
Audiophiles are constantly searching for ways to improve their hi-fi system. There are discussion forums, magazines and clubs for audiophiles to share their discoveries. While audio purists try to find objective improvements in sound quality, a few focus on the subjective; "what sounds better". This can lead to changes that are not improvements, even though some perceive a difference.

As a result, some audiophiles have claimed improvements from a wide variety of changes, from the ordinary (adjusting speaker placement) to the bizarre (attaching plastic tags to the power cables of non-audio equipment, such as toasters).

In some cases, the opposite is true. A change degrades the fidelity of the signal, while making it sound "better" to the listener. For instance, it has been claimed that certain hyped, "hard to come by" electronic components are more "musical" than others. When tested, they are actually found to be of such low quality that they introduce inductive feedback, resonance, and hence, reverb effects; making the music sound "better", while actually degrading the signal. The low-quality components, which are practically worthless, are then sold at very high profits to so-called "audiofools". There is also a lot of mass market gear that will not have high fidelity. Some of the "high-end" gear measures well, subjectivly sounds good, and is not disposeable.

This tendency pervades the entire professional sound engineering and production industry, which to this day heavily uses analogue tape and vacuum tube equipment because it sounds "warmer". Often, such techniques are used to get a better, "warmer", sound on purpose, such as overdriven tube amplifiers for guitar, or saturated tape recordings of drum tracks, during the recording phase of music. This is a different concept than the audiophile ideal of "perfect sound reproduction", and is a "valid" use of these effects.

http://www.e-paranoids.com/a/au/audiophile.html

I think you misunderstood me. I perfectly well know the meaning of the word "audiophile". I am one myself. What I was specifically asking is this: what is "audiophile" about that particular Anthrax LP when it is neither a 180 gram pressing or 45 rpm?