Anthrax review-Heavy Montreal 2014

sufferer

Feb 18, 2002
St. Petersburg, FL
Most all live reviews we read are positive but this one not so much, from MetalSucks...

6. Anthrax’s Caress Is Cold
6:15 pm
Huge stage A
Halfway through Voivod’s set, the sun had dropped to a spot just above their stage, so I blindly stumbled forward and into the shade. But I realized too late that the wiseass sun had tricked me back into hose range — and yep, that jerkass hose blasted me yet again right before “The Unknown Knows.” Later, my post-set mussing and pouting was interrupted by a text message of “Miss you!” from the girls back home. Totally cosmic, right? Somehow they sensed that I needed a cheer-up right then, all feeling unsexy with my thrice-drenched/-dried hair? And I’m sad to report that I got more bummed moments later at Anthrax: The problem is not that a fan has seen their set so many times — it’s just that the set is not great. “Among The Living” and “Indians” shouldn’t make the cut for any show, long or short; for “Anti-Social” and “Got The Time” the band was 60% indifferent; and the godly Charlie Benante sounds like he was checked out of drumming. If singer Joey Belladonna hadn’t been sprinting around the stage, cheering doob-smokers, and being as hilarious as Scott “Not” Ian is creepy, I would’ve bailed on one of my most beloved bands. Hey Anthrax, are we breaking up? There’s no love in your eyes :(

Sounds like this guy was having a bad day and decided to take it out on Anthrax. Fuck him.

I will say this. I saw Anthrax a few years ago at Soundwave when Bush was kind enough to fill in for a few gigs (post the Nelson shit on Frank exit saga). Whilst it was still great fun the fact was the energy and chemistry was missing. You just knew the band was in some form of holding pattern. Still a great show.

Fast forward to 2 years ago at the same festival and Anthrax was on early with Joey in tow post Worship Music hype and WOW... what a difference. Incredible chemistry and energy.

Not bagging Bush either as I love the guy and that era of music too but just highlighting that is probably the closest I've come to a bad Anthrax show in the 5 times I've seen them live.... and they still fucking kicked ass.

I will say this. I saw Anthrax a few years ago at Soundwave when Bush was kind enough to fill in for a few gigs (post the Nelson shit on Frank exit saga). Whilst it was still great fun the fact was the energy and chemistry was missing. You just knew the band was in some form of holding pattern. Still a great show.

Fast forward to 2 years ago at the same festival and Anthrax was on early with Joey in tow post Worship Music hype and WOW... what a difference. Incredible chemistry and energy.

Not bagging Bush either as I love the guy and that era of music too but just highlighting that is probably the closest I've come to a bad Anthrax show in the 5 times I've seen them live.... and they still fucking kicked ass.

I was at that exact show too, and agree with you 100%. Cool show but lacked the magic.

They received mostly bad reviews of their Sonisphere show in Cz, 2010. But the show was really not good.

Yeah I can only go off years of reading mags or internet stuff and I have rarely seen a bad word about live show,maybe just a winge about set list,they obviously cannot be 100% every night,back on wcfya tour chuck was on a drip the night previously and anthrax had to borrow all there gear from a local music shop and the show was still outstanding!you would not have known anything was different lol,respect right there

Definitely, the one aspect that this band has never waned on is their live performance. They go nuts and destroy the stage every night with more energy than any 20-something bands out today.

Their setlist sucks, I keep saying they should just put cardboard cutouts on stage. I bet every penny to my name Overkill did a better set. :headbang:

I thought Montreal was solid. As good as the shows I saw in Europe this Summer? No. But they were still very tight, high energy, and clearly having a great time.

Honestly, even having seen the band 20 times, I wouldn't say I've ever seen a "bad" show. Obviously they aren't all going to be on the same level and some gigs will stand out above others, but all in all Anthrax are one of the most consistent bands out there IMO.