Anthrax: The Greater of Two Evils (Double LP)

Edward Yawn

New Metal Member
Sep 14, 2005
Under your bed
Has anyone heard the vinyl version of this album? How does it sound compared to the CD version?

anthrax_tgote2.jpg

anthrax_tgote3.jpg

anthrax_tgote.jpg

anthrax_tgote5.jpg

anthrax_tgote4.jpg

Any of you got a good quality pic of the band and crowd photo in there. I tried to scan it off the cd I have but the resolution came out like shit.

THAT'S pretty fucking cool. Is that from Nuke Blast? Must be. I'd imagine it wouldn't sound too different from the CD.

Drokk said:
I'd imagine it wouldn't sound too different from the CD.

Different but better. Because on the vinyl version you don't have the limitations of the 16 bit / 44.1 khz CD format. The LP is essentially an analog transfer of the 24 bit mix-down format so on a good turntable with a high-quality pick-up cartridge it will sound better than the CD. Also, when mastering for vinyl the mastering engineer can't manipulate the sound as much as he can when mastering for CD so you get a more "honest" transfer.

Edward Yawn said:
Different but better. Because on the vinyl version you don't have the limitations of the 16 bit / 44.1 khz CD format. The LP is essentially an analog transfer of the 24 bit mix-down format so on a good turntable with a high-quality pick-up cartridge it will sound better than the CD. Also, when mastering for vinyl the mastering engineer can't manipulate the sound as much as he can when mastering for CD so you get a more "honest" transfer.
Hmmm, you've piqued my interest. I like vinyl, even though I don't have a damn player. I've always preferred older recordings on vinyl rather than CD. Interesting that you say more "honest" transfer; as I've said before, I think the CD of 2 Evils is mastered way too damn loud, with a lot of clipping. Is this type of mastering (in most modern rock CDs, it seems--Dance of Death, Slipknot's Vol. 3 is particularly terrible mastering-wise) possible for vinyl?

johnnieCzech said:
Well, shit, I had better pop in that bonus disc.... :p

I probably don't listen to it because it's only 3 songs. I usually listen to stuff in my Discman, so I never bring it. I need mp3, goddammit...

Drokk said:
Well, shit, I had better pop in that bonus disc.... :p

I probably don't listen to it because it's only 3 songs. I usually listen to stuff in my Discman, so I never bring it. I need mp3, goddammit...

Oh yes you do, but maybe your discman will be worth bringing today.:Spin:

Drokk said:
Hmmm, you've piqued my interest. I like vinyl, even though I don't have a damn player. I've always preferred older recordings on vinyl rather than CD. Interesting that you say more "honest" transfer; as I've said before, I think the CD of 2 Evils is mastered way too damn loud, with a lot of clipping. Is this type of mastering (in most modern rock CDs, it seems--Dance of Death, Slipknot's Vol. 3 is particularly terrible mastering-wise) possible for vinyl?

About the CD version of "Greater of Two Evils" being mastered too loudly: I am not surprised. This is unfortunately a problem that 99% of modern CD releases suffer from. Everybody is competing to make the loudest CD. Often the mastering engineer digitally compresses the living piss out of the recording leaving zero dynamic range. Fortunately this kind of violent mastering is not possible with vinyl. There are simply physical limits that prevent the mastering engineer from putting too much volume into the modulated grooves on the vinyl disc.

If you want to learn about good mastering, join Steve Hoffman's forum:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/

And if you want to learn more about why everything is mastered so loudly these days, read this:

http://www.johnvestman.com/disease.htm

Steve Hoffman is the masteing engineer who used to work for DCC. Among many things he did the 24Karat Gold CD remasters of Metallica's Ride The Lightning and Master of Puppets.

Thanks for the links, Mr. Yawn. An engineering friend of mine told me about CD mastering and sent me a bunch of links, I have to find them again. I've seen analyses of Dance of Death and Rush's Test the Echo, which has audio-minded people absolutely livid. I would love to do one for 2 Evils.