Antimatter 060603 Live Video E.P.

breaklose said:
it's pretty reassuring to know that you guys review albums without knowing what the band has been up to before or what the previous material sounds like - it makes me want to trust your word :erk:

He was reviewing the ALBUM, not the BAND.

I would say there are two entirely different schools of thought on the subject of music reviews. Depends on whether you wanna show the bands progression or whether you wanna judge an album on it's own merits. Better yet, when you think about it people who ALREADY know the bands work have an idea of what to expect, where as people who are new to the band will be after a review with the same perspective they are likely to share, that is that of a first time listener. Now, if you were writing a review and trying to get across to a larger audience (depends on if this is a positive or negative review), would you be writing said review with the band stalwarts or the mildly interested newcomer in mind?

I'd say theres another school that says people who write reviews are generally pretentious knobs and downloadable previews tracks have made their reviews thankfully redundant.

Spike said:
judge an album on it's own merits

by making the dude review 400 albums a year? Not like we were unreasonable in our ridicule here. I'm the good guy, yee know.

Spike said:
I would say there are two entirely different schools of thought on the subject of music reviews. Depends on whether you wanna show the bands progression or whether you wanna judge an album on it's own merits. Better yet, when you think about it people who ALREADY know the bands work have an idea of what to expect, where as people who are new to the band will be after a review with the same perspective they are likely to share, that is that of a first time listener. Now, if you were writing a review and trying to get across to a larger audience (depends on if this is a positive or negative review), would you be writing said review with the band stalwarts or the mildly interested newcomer in mind?

well for a start i wouldnt write a review of a band ive never heard of, playing a music style i dont know shit about. im sorry man but you dont make any sense, how would you feel if jazz fans started to review your favourite death metal bands' albums? when i read reviews, i want to know that the reviewer as a solid knowledge of both the bands and the style, and if the reviewer is good, his review will make sense to both newcomers and veterans. but thanks to webzines, every young lad with an internet connection and a cd player thinks hes a journalist now and can write smart reviews, but if i bought a big hammer and an anvil, that woudnt make a blacksmith of me would it (how much do you like the metal analogy heh)?

sorry for telling you the truth :wave:

breaklose said:
well for a start i wouldnt write a review of a band ive never heard of, playing a music style i dont know shit about. im sorry man but you dont make any sense, how would you feel if jazz fans started to review your favourite death metal bands' albums? when i read reviews, i want to know that the reviewer as a solid knowledge of both the bands and the style, and if the reviewer is good, his review will make sense to both newcomers and veterans. but thanks to webzines, every young lad with an internet connection and a cd player thinks hes a journalist now and can write smart reviews, but if i bought a big hammer and an anvil, that woudnt make a blacksmith of me would it (how much do you like the metal analogy heh)?

sorry for telling you the truth :wave:

i agree: webzines make you believe the world is full of journalists, but in fact they're almost all opportunists.

someone said "everything you know is wrong" :)

breaklose said:
i wouldnt write a review of a band ive never heard of, playing a music style i dont know shit about. im sorry man but you dont make any sense, how would you feel if jazz fans started to review your favourite death metal bands' albums?

well, to review music style you don't know and to review the band you didn't know earlier are 2 completely different things i think.