Antimatter

batmura

Sea of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2001
www.seaoftranquility.org
About ten years ago, I picked up the first Antimatter album, Saviour. I remember buying it because of former Anathema keyboardist, Duncan Patterson, whose work on the Alternative 4 album was simply masterful. Unfortunately, I had a hard time getting into the disc. It was too abstract and the music was perhaps too far removed from my tastes at the time, so I set it aside.

A couple of weeks ago, I broke it out to give it another chance. It sounds a lot better to me than it did so many years. I like the hypnotic quality of the songs moreso than the vocals. The keyboards generate dense atmospherics and the arrangements are actually very tight.

So my question is how do the following releases compare to Saviour? I can only imagine Antimatter got better with time, honing their craft and furthering their songwriting. Of course, I could be wrong and they may gone down the drain.

If any of you have heard their CDs, could you throw in your 2 cents and rank them among each other? I saw the Planetary Confinement album in my local store and just loved the artwork. Has anyone heard that one?

Thanks!

I'd say their most recent releases with Planetary Confinement and Leaving Eden are easily the best they have put out. The one thing to note about Planetary Confinement is it is 100% acoustic, if that will lean your decision one way or another. This years Alternative Matter wasn't bad, but was mostly just remixes / new takes on old songs.