Any advice or opinions on this mix?

Zozobra

Feb 11, 2006
UK
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3702469/Memento Mori.mp3

What you think? (of the mix; each to their own musically, and I hope you enjoy it but I aint rewriting it for you! Except the drums, which I dont like, just played to then added bits; they need a rework, but you get the idea of how they sound)

I'm a n00b at recording, and this is only about the 5th song I've layed down in full, but its about my best yet and I'm about ready I think to get whatever advice those folks here with far greater expertise than me are willing to offer. (previously may well not even have understood it, and my recordings would have probably been laughed out)

Recording is two guitars panned hard for most of it. The right gutiar is untreated in any way, the left track has some compression applied to about 200hz and down, because its low end is less controllable than the gutiar on the right, and a bit of eq adding some 4 through 6k, since it doesnt cut quite as well either (this is a killer guitar, its just the other is better). Other than that the guitar tracks are untreated.

Drums are superior 2.

Bass is a schecter duluxe 4 smashed to fuck and eq'd to all hell and back then mixed borderline justice for all style, cos I aint got the hang of this bass recording lark yet. Only really prominent in one part of the track (when the guitars are playing the high A sharp + minor second stocatto thing that it opens with the second time around). Mostly its just adding a bit of thunk in a you-dont-really-know-its-there-but-you-know-its-gone-if-you-mute-it sort of a way.

The powerball was boosted very slightly with an award session JD10 and the treble and bass on 0, mids dimed. On the clean, it just adds a bit of warm breakup, on the distortion it mainly smooths it out a little.

Some of the settings on the PB escape me now but it was something like
- channel 4
- Gain 3
- Mids focussed, dimed
- bass 3ish
- Treble 9ish
- Preamp 10
- Master 1
- Presence 0
- Depth I think was about 3 or 4. Either that or 0. Cant remember now
- Low end button engaged.

There are 2 eqs in the loop - an EQ20, which is a big part of my sound because its as transparent as a brick wall, but I like the effect it has (tightens and thickens lows, smooths top end). This is also used as a low pass (bottom band killed mercilessly, the next one about 10 db down). Then an MXR 10 band was used to fine tune the lows and low mids a bit. Nothing drastic, just some tweaks because of the room resonances still getting in there a little and palm mutes being too loud.

The speaker is a V30 in an Ubercab, close miced with an MD421 pointing more or less at the edge of the dust cap, dead on, up to the grill.

Some attempt was made to isolate the cab from the (small, 3.5ish by 4ish meter) room and its nasty reflections with plywood boards with acoustic foam on them, inside and out. The cab is firing down a 10m+ archway that ajoins two rooms because I didnt like the closed in dead sound from micing a totally enclosed cab.

An NT1A is a little further back and mixed about 9db down in the harmonies.

Any opnions?

The guitars are distractingly loud. I can faintly make out a couple cymbal crashes and snare hits but thats about it. For starters, turn them down and let the drums come through so we can hear what they sound like and go from there.

Thats mainly in the intro; I'm aware of it. I'll turn the intro guitars down. Thanks for the confirmation. Have you listened to the rest (or have you already and are you applying that advice to all of it?)