Any experience with scalloped guitar necks?

Shard

The Unholy Thpoo
Dec 19, 2002
(UC)Santa Barbara, CA
Just try not to fret the strings too hard. With the extra room, you could bend the strings out of pitch by grabbing the neck too hard. :)

Basically, you have to play VERY light and be aware of how much pressure you are applying to the neck. It's hard to master, but as I understand, if you become skilled at playing on it, you can do some cool microtonal bends, etc.

Yngwie and Blackmore seem to like it quite a bit.

I have a half scalloped neck on my heavily customised 1st guitat, it's great for the upper-register but I find it hard to use anywhere lower.

Blackmore's strat doesn't actually have a full scallop, it is sloped so that the scallop is only over the first 3 strings (E, G, B). It basically gives you the best of both worlds, un scalloped for lower rhythm playing and scalloped for higer lead playing.

Shard said:
Recently jammed with a friend and noticed he had a scalloped fretboard... I fucked around with it for a bit, found it kind of interesting. Any advice/opinions on them? Do strings break faster? Will my left hand get weaker? Is it more fragile?

Thanks,
-Tim

I've only played one a few times, but I found I am too heavy handed for it. I tend to fret too hard and detune the notes. If you naturally have a light touch when fretting, I think using a scalloped neck will give you an advantage in using vibrato without bending strings up or down the fretboard. That seems to be the only advantage I see in using one, but I suppose if your style integrates precision and quick vibratto along with the fact you have a light touch, a scalloped fretboard is for you.
As far as string breaking, left hand getting weaker, and the neck being more fragile, I seriously doubt it. I also think a scalloped fretboard is for an intermediate player. A beginning player will detune too easily and it will pose an additional obstacle to overcome to become a proficient player. An advanced player will probably use the neck in his/her fireplace. Too much stuff to learn over due to having to be so precise on fret pressure.

Bryant