Control a synth/any vsti with your guitar in reaper

LeSedna

Mat or Mateo
Jan 20, 2008
Montpellier, France
Hi guys

Just played today with a few reaper plugs today, and discovered you can use its autotune/melodyne equivalent, reatune, to control a vsti.

It's not big news but since it's fun and I didn't know, I think maybe some of you could find it fun/useful too.

The drawback is that it has latency depending on your setup so it may only work for slow parts, or will need a bit of editing. You need to play with no vibrato, tight and clean, of course !

I'm sure you can adapt this to any DAW/pitching software.

1. Have two tracks : Guitar, synth (or orchestra or any vsti).

2. on guitar track, insert ReaTune, stay on the tune

3. tick "send midi events when pitch changes" and "live input"

4. now go to your guitar track I/O option, send to the second track, remove the audio but be sure midi channel send is "all -> all"

Done. You can record the midi too.

For fun, did this little mp3 : left is a guitar track i recorded years ago (i have no guitar for the moment so I cannot do a live test) and right is a synth controlled by it. It fails for fast parts but for slow strings it can be fun to use your guitar for recording. You can imagine using it live, dunno if there are easier solutions. But anyway it is fun :) BTW, I have a high latency cause where I am I don't have my profire installed so I'm using my internal card. Maybe with a good soundcart latency is okay. Tell me ?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/881054/Sneap/fun/vsti control.mp3

If somebody could try it with his guitar, playing very clean and setting the "window" of reatune to a faster value, to see if it can handle taping or at least decent speed ? Cause my recording is not played for that specific use, it has vibratos etc. Could be fun to scratch write vsti with a guitar on the go.