GUITAR TECHS: How to change strings with a FR equipped guitar

kernelxsanders

Bam Bam Boogie Bear!
Jun 11, 2010
Tallahassee, Fl
ok, again i apologize but i didnt get any help from my last thread about this. since my FR equipped jackson is broken due to the changing of thicker strings, i borrowed a couple of my friend's guitars, both being an Ibanez; one with a FR and one with a fixed bridge. first i restrung the one with the fixed bridge with some 13-59g strings, the same brand and guage on my jackson. all was well. played perfectly, was sad to give it back to him since that was his primary guitar. and since i couldnt really tune lower than C on his other ibanez, being the FR guitar, we just got some strings today. some ernie ball 7 string power slinkys (14-58, not counting the 7th .11g) and i just tried to restring it, but im having the same goddamn problem as my jackson! as i tighten the strings, it raises the FR. and guitar adjustments ARENT HELPING! the springs arent doing a damn thing, lowering the bridge for action isnt doing anything either. i changed the strings one at a time, and right now im tuned to dropped G and the strings are a mile off the fretboard, so im not even going to bother tuning up to my usual dropped A#.

again, sorry for posting a second thread about this issue, but there isnt any fucking thing in the world that will help this. FOR ALL OF YOU PEOPLE WITH FR EQUIPPED GUITARS, HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU CHANGE STRINGS WHEN UPPING THE GAUGE?!?!?! seriously this is really pissing me off and i now have no guitar to play with, so i cant record anything and i cannot continue to play with my band until this is remedied >:[[[

FUCKKK!

there are three springs, and i have not tightened them all the way, but a good amount, and still nothing. but i fee like if i tighten them more, then its more prone to breaking the strings, and i wont be able to tune higher. but i'll try that. if that doesnt work, what would be suggested, besides taking it to a real tech for them to fix? like what would they do to fix it?

Block the bridge, tune up and lock down the nut. Unblock the bridge and tighten the springs until it flattens out. If there's not enough tension with the springs tightened all of the way, add an additional spring and/or stronger springs.

Floyd Rose guitars, don´t like Thick gauge strings, if you need to tune that low and with those strings, you may want to check a baritone guitar, or change to a fixed bridge, i use a floyd rose equipped guitar with .56 and tune to C standard, and i feel like i can´t go thicker, case i have tightened the screws more than enough.

ive had that suggested as well, but i have yet to try it. what is something good i can use to block it with?

I use a 9 volt battery and a couple guitar picks of the right thickness behind the sustain block. Add or remove picks as needed to get the Floyd parallel with the face of the body.

-Block the bridge.
-Tune to the pitch you want.
-Check neck relief.
-Check/adjust intonation.
-Lock the nut.
-unblock the bridge.
-Adjust the spring claw to bring the strings back to proper pitch. (When they are in tune again the bridge will be level.)

And you're done. Perfect setup! :kickass:

I tune to drop f with .70s on a fr guitar it can be done i use 5 springs & put them in most of the way... You will also need to adjust the intonation...

well after letting it sit over night with the strings on it, i tuned it back down, then tuned up and the trem is now sitting in place.

just wish my jackson would be fixed :/

You will need to add a fourth spring. I had to do this to oli herberts guitar the other day.

This.
Don't block your bridge because of that, it kinda takes the fun away, plus this is not a Stratocaster, if it's not staying in tune, it's not properly adjusted.

I use .60 gauge on my jackson RR with a Floyd Rose (Tuned to E, so I can really give it a beating), I have 5 springs in there, and the screws are almost all the way in. I admit there's a lot of tension there, but it's what it takes to keep the balance perfect.

So all in all, either mess with the screws or add a spring or 2, but don't block it.

This.
Don't block your bridge because of that, it kinda takes the fun away, plus this is not a Stratocaster, if it's not staying in tune, it's not properly adjusted.

I use .60 gauge on my jackson RR with a Floyd Rose (Tuned to E, so I can really give it a beating), I have 5 springs in there, and the screws are almost all the way in. I admit there's a lot of tension there, but it's what it takes to keep the balance perfect.

So all in all, either mess with the screws or add a spring or 2, but don't block it.

Keep in mind that not all springs are the same, either. Some are looser than others...shop around online and ask how stiff they are before ordering, its not like they're super expensive or anything so it could be worth experimenting with.

Can you even get a standard guitar to intonate right with drop F??? :confused:

I got a Les Paul to intonate pretty well with a low E string. It was tuned in fifths. Used a .90 for the low string. Calculated the tensions so it played similarish to a standard guitar. Didn't even need to adjust the truss rod.

If you want a temporary fix so you can just play the damn thing, just block the trem. I just went from E standard with 10s to B standard with a regular 7 string set on my FR equipped LTD with no problems. I don't even have a trem blocker, I just stuck a stack of paper on each side of the block to keep it in place. Ghetto as fuck, but it works.

i'd say it's going to come down to the springs... going to 4 springs on my RR1 rhoads, 12 - 60 in Drop B... it's perfect... and also, the positioning of the springs matters!

EG...
1 - 1
2 - 2
4 - 3
5 - 5

4 springs, but they aren't 1 to 1 connections, I have the higher strings with less tension this way as i need more tension on the lower strings :)