GUITAR PLAYERS WITH A TREMOLO: READ THIS ASAP!

@clockwork: my bridge basically looks just like that, aside from the fact i have a different FR than that but it looks completely normal. (id post pictures but i lack a camera at the moment)

I thought it might help to see the ends of the strings after they've been clipped so we ca nsee whats slipping out. You've already tightened the saddle block screws as much as possible right? It sounds like you're doing everything you should be. Is it all of the strings that are slipping out or just certain ones? If so which ones is it?

If you're concerned about your upcoming gig, is it an option to just go back to your old string guage? That might be the most advisable solution for the short term.

well when i clip them, they just look "fresh" and as of today, mainly the high e string is whats popping out. the others manage to stay in there, but the action is a good few hundred feet off the fretboard.

and as far as my gig, im borrowing my friend's rg321 \m/ only downfall is that its tuned to A# with like .10-.46, though it will make my leads way easier to play.

Well the higher stings will always be more prone to slipping. Have you tried adjusting the height of the two balance posts? (the two posts at the front of the tremelo that the FR is held on via the string tension) by lowering those deeper into the body it should bring the height of the bridge down. Just grab an alan key, I think clockwise rotation lowers, don't really remember. That should help rectify any major action problems.

Not to be a dick, but what genious that known nothing about setting up a guitar changes string gauges the day of a gig ..... ughhh

You have 2 problems ....

#1 Springs, you need to get them set so the trem FLOATS. If you have them wrenched down so that the tram sits flat on the body you fucked up. Lossen the springs and start again.

#2 Truss Rod, Your trussrod was set for your old set of strings that were at LESS tension then the new one. So therefore you need to tighten the truss rod.

#3 If you cant figure it out get it to a guitar shop NOW, stop fucking with it, you dont understand how it all works, so stop fucking with it before you fuck up your guitar.

If I see you still attempting to fuck with it and ask questions after this advice you are officially a tool or a troll.

To easily setup a tremolo with new string gauges you should proceed like this :

- without strings, increase the spring tension a lot
- Put some wood block under the tremolo to get it parallel
- Tune up your guitar (the extra tension will stick the tremolo on the wood blocks)
- Release slightly the spring tensions until loosing the contat between the tremolo and the wood blocks
- Fine adjust the tuning

And that's all.

Best advice in this thread

If the strings are a mile off the fret board how does the FR height have nothing to do with it?

They're probably a mile off cause the increased tension of the higher gauge strings has caused the neck to have a forward bow.. ie too much relief.

FYI, Clockwork not to be a dick but you have given him some shitty advice. His trem height has nothing to do with it. It needs a trussrod adjustment AFTER he gets the trem to float properly.

thank you for the truss rod tip. i had the idea that adjusting it might be helpful, but i was told otherwise earlier in the thread. now i just need to go get my sockets and see what that can do.

and in response to your previous post, i bought the strings yesterday ( wednesday) and the gig is on sunday, do you always anticipate problems like this every time you change string gauges? i wouldnt assume so, therefore, i didnt anticipate this to happen, giving me what i presumed to be ample time to get accustomed to the new gauge. i take that kinda offensively tbh, your implication is that im a guitar noob with no idea how a guitar works. like i said earlier, i know how it all work, i know how to set up a guitar, but since this problem arose, i was asking for further help from different perspectives as to what it could be.

also, im about to upload some pics i just took
EDIT: no pics are necessary because if its enough of a problem where i need to take pictures, i might as well take it to a shop.

To easily setup a tremolo with new string gauges you should proceed like this :

- without strings, increase the spring tension a lot
- Put some wood block under the tremolo to get it parallel
- Tune up your guitar (the extra tension will stick the tremolo on the wood blocks)
- Release slightly the spring tensions until loosing the contat between the tremolo and the wood blocks
- Fine adjust the tuning

And that's all.

I do not advocate having your strings completely off of the neck for an extended period of time ever. But promplty following the steps above and being cognicant of the degree of string gauge change itself you should be fine. The only unsaid thing "so far" that has saved me a shit load of time is to tune from the outside strings in. If you do that and you have serious non-flush issues either way you are off. When I am off I will over or under compensate with the tuner by 50%. This may be bogus but it makes my shit go quicker and with no adverse results so far. i.e. if you are 20 cents flat on your low E, tune up an additional 40 cents. May be way off base but it has always worked for me. BTW that was a very hypothetical example. Hope that helps.

thank you for the truss rod tip. i had the idea that adjusting it might be helpful, but i was told otherwise earlier in the thread. now i just need to go get my sockets and see what that can do.

and in response to your previous post, i bought the strings yesterday ( wednesday) and the gig is on sunday, do you always anticipate problems like this every time you change string gauges? i wouldnt assume so, therefore, i didnt anticipate this to happen, giving me what i presumed to be ample time to get accustomed to the new gauge. i take that kinda offensively tbh, your implication is that im a guitar noob with no idea how a guitar works. like i said earlier, i know how it all work, i know how to set up a guitar, but since this problem arose, i was asking for further help from different perspectives as to what it could be.

also, im about to upload some pics i just took
EDIT: no pics are necessary because if its enough of a problem where i need to take pictures, i might as well take it to a shop.

No offense man, but if you know how to set up a guitar, wouldn't you have realized a different gauge string would require some tweaking? I haven't changed gauge strings in probably 6 years because my guitar is so used to being set up that way.

It sounds to me like you have too much tension due to your trem not floating flush with the body as it should be.

Stop touching your guitar, leave it to a tech before you fuck it up.
Then take your time to read ALLOT about setups before trying it your self.

From what I've read, i would already suspect that you probably managed to strip the knifes as well.

Im not trying to be a dick, im just trying to help you NOT destroying your guitar. ;)

#1 Springs, you need to get them set so the trem FLOATS. If you have them wrenched down so that the tram sits flat on the body you fucked up. Lossen the springs and start again.

IF he had the trem setup so that it it tilted against the body even at full tension, then im 100% sure that he stripped the knifes, which would mean that the floyd is fucked until someone can re-edge them.

Its possible he hasn't fucked up the knife edge. Honestly he needs to just take it to a shop.

And the comment about "Do you always anticipate having to re-setup a guitar after you change string gauges" just shows he really doesn't know anything about this as the answer from anyone who knows anything about guitar setups will tell you is YES!

The only thing I cannot agree with is that it needs a truss rod adjustment. If the guitar is a cheap piece of shit, then yeah maybe. But, usually your neck is going to naturally adjust/conform itself to the new level of tension over a few days. Let someone who repairs/techs for a living look at it and fix your issues. If it's a strong neck, it won't need truss rod adjustment.

In response to what you said about whether or not to expect problem when making these changes... Yes. Always expect problems when changing string gauge, tunings, etc. especially with a floating tremolo. I realize you THINK you know your guitar, but you don't. If you knew how to change string gauging and/or tuning on a Floyd, you'd have blocked the trem before putting the new strings on. You'd have been expecting spring/tension adjustment from the start. If you love your guitar, take it to a pro.

Its possible he hasn't fucked up the knife edge. Honestly he needs to just take it to a shop.

And the comment about "Do you always anticipate having to re-setup a guitar after you change string gauges" just shows he really doesn't know anything about this as the answer from anyone who knows anything about guitar setups will tell you is YES!

It might be possible, but as the tension has been put from an unnatural angle, its very likely that they have been smushed completely.. but it really doesnt matter, it still needs to get to a shop.

The only thing I cannot agree with is that it needs a truss rod adjustment. If the guitar is a cheap piece of shit, then yeah maybe. But, usually your neck is going to naturally adjust/conform itself to the new level of tension over a few days. Let someone who repairs/techs for a living look at it and fix your issues. If it's a strong neck, it won't need truss rod adjustment.

Im not sure i would agree with this.. its pretty common practice re-adjusting your neck when you increase string gauge(Even though its usually less then the standard quarter turn.).
However, im still doubting that the neck is causing any problems in this case.

In response to what you said about whether or not to expect problem when making these changes... Yes. Always expect problems when changing string gauge, tunings, etc. especially with a floating tremolo. I realize you THINK you know your guitar, but you don't. If you knew how to change string gauging and/or tuning on a Floyd, you'd have blocked the trem before putting the new strings on. You'd have been expecting spring/tension adjustment from the start. If you love your guitar, take it to a pro.

Agreed.

Im not sure i would agree with this.. its pretty common practice re-adjusting your neck when you increase string gauge(Even though its usually less then the standard quarter turn.).

I have always believed that people are too quick to touch that truss rod instead of trusting the build quality of their guitar. Maybe it's because I've always played top notch shit. My Gibson Flying V has gone from E-standard to B-flat and everywhere in between, with string gauges ranging from 10-46 thru 13-70. It's never needed one truss rod adjustment. The neck has always adjusted itself within a couple days of any major changes. It also doesn't hurt I suppose, that I've always gone up to a proper string gauge for each level of down tuning, respectively. I saw that the OP is going to be playing a guitar tuned to A# with 10-46's on it? That's stupid as fuck. Seriously, those strings have to feel like spaghetti noodles. May as well not even have strings on the fucking thing. Now that guitar almost assuredly needs truss rod adjustments.

Tommy,

As someone who has been working on and building guitars for nearly 20 years I can tell you, YOU ARE FUCKING CRAZY IF YOU THINK THAT'S THE CASE.....

A PROPER Setup on a guitar when you change string gauges REQUIRES:
Truss Rod Adjustment
Intonation Adjustment
Pickup Height Adjustment
and if the guitar has a floating trem it NEEDS to have the trem adjusted for the new string tension.

Ughhh

Tommy,

As someone who has been working on and building guitars for nearly 20 years I can tell you, YOU ARE FUCKING CRAZY IF YOU THINK THAT'S THE CASE.....

A PROPER Setup on a guitar when you change string gauges REQUIRES:
Truss Rod Adjustment
Intonation Adjustment
Pickup Height Adjustment
and if the guitar has a floating trem it NEEDS to have the trem adjusted for the new string tension.

Ughhh

Guru... all I said was that it may not need truss rod adjustment. Of course it will need intonation tweaks. And yeah, if your action changes, you have to adjust pickup height. But from someone else with 20+ years, a truss rod adjust is not always needed. It's a case-by-case basis IMO.