Any Godspeed whores around?

Décadent said:
Off topic a little, but WTF is post-black? Are Solefald any good?

Solefald , Arcturus and all this avant-garde stuff I guess. You gotta be careful though : it's used loosely and while some bands totally rule , some may be only decent (Frantic Bleep anyone ? :D ah it's not "post-black" .. :oops: )
Solefald totally rule . Eventhough they're not a hightly emotionnal band , they somehow compensate with their crazy concepts and lyrics and their instrumental polyvalence."In Harmonia Universali" and "Pills Against the Ageless Ills" I have . Both are good , the latter being , IMO better on the long run for it is a little less polished.The first is bordeline Black-Metal on some passages , the rest is just crazy . "Neonism" is the most :loco:.

Dev said:
Eventhough they're not a hightly emotionnal band [...]

I think Solefald's music is fairly emotional. In fact it's an emotional mess most of the time. Expect something from them and you'll get exactly the opposite o_O
Also the cool thing is, all of their albums have their own story, their own flavour. "Neonism" never did the trick for me (too much intellectual shit and too little actual music) but I'd recommend any other of their material eyes shut. A friend of mind used to call their music "baroque" in the architectural sense, and I think it's a fairly accurate way to put it.

On a side note, Ensoph from Italy have some similarities to Solefald. They use more typical black metal patterns on the whole, the type of extreme shrieks Solefald have dropped after "The Linear Scaffold", and their concept is centered around kabbalistic mysteries and shit... "Opus Dementiae" released back in 2004 is a lethal weapon of sorts for anyone who'd like a crossover between, say, "La Masquerade Infernale"-era Arcturus and Nocternity.

Thanks for all the info. Checking out Solefald now, and I'm going to keep a look out for any releases by the suggested post-rock bands. Any good distro's people could link me to?

The White Birch is also some nice post-rock. But I guess it's even more gay than those bands listed :) Anyway, the Star Is Just A Sun album is really good.

Jumping from Godspeed to Solefald, this thread has the highest musical value ever on this board. If I Hadn't started it, I'd five-stars it with glee and worship.

Anyway, who else checked The Evpatoria Report and wishes to drool along? I'm listening to it again right now and, fuck, it's SO good... :OMG:

Décadent said:
Thanks for all the info. Checking out Solefald now, and I'm going to keep a look out for any releases by the suggested post-rock bands. Any good distro's people could link me to?

Once again, www.aquariusrecords.com should be one of your first destinations. And for reviews and opinions on this music relatively free of indie smugness, check out www.almostcool.org or www.fakejazz.com (despite the idiotic Born Into Trouble review on the latter...)

Ellestin said:
Anyway, who else checked The Evpatoria Report and wishes to drool along? I'm listening to it again right now and, fuck, it's SO good... :OMG:

Seriously, I love this so much - I think I've listened to it four or five times in the two days I've had it. Taijin Kyofusho is so sad :(

Ellestin said:

Hmm, it's not good THAT much...
I feel something missing in that kind of music (or there's something here that I can't understand, if you prefer)...