Any guilty musical pleasures outside of Metal or HR?

My other guilty pleasure which I hadn't thought about till I saw it posted was Dead Can Dance. I love Into The Labryinth and some of thier early stuff had some amazing tunes. Cantara, Fortune Presents Gifts Not According to the Book, Enigma of the Absolute, were all amazing songs.

Their performance last year at Cobb Energy Centre near Atlanta was easily the single best performance I saw all year. New album is really good, too.

IAlso, do like to occasionally spin my David Arkenstone albums, especially Quest of the Dream Warrior. I'll have to go get the others in that trilogy as well (In the Wake of the Wind and Return of the Guardians)

Good stuff, there. I saw him on a Winter Solstice tour (I think Wyndham Hill put it on) and the whole show was great. Nice guy, too.

New Age- Example: Yanni

Dark Age- Example: Florence + the Machine

Bollywood music, KPop, JPop

Christian contemporary

Lot of female singers Sarah Brightman, Tori Amos, Kate Bush etc

Soundtrack music from LOTR to Broadway to Disney

Don't feel too guilty about most of these, as I think it's important for people interested in creating music to listen to everything, though admittedly there's some pretty terrible and or boring Bollywood, Kpop/Jpop and Christian contemporary music. The wider the palate the more potential for an interesting unique sound, I think at least.

Haha and Aquaman was a perfect analogy, he's a boiest.. besides it makes no sense to rag on the poor one armed sea prince while leaving Namor unscathed.

I enjoy late 70's-early 80's arena rock--bands like Styx, Foreigner, Night Ranger, Journey, REO Speedwagon. They put a great deal of energy into the music and can still deliver very good live shows. My only major problem with bands like this is that after 30+years, most of them have standardzied their live sets with minimal variation. For example, with Foreigner, the only major difference is what order the songs will be played--and sometimes not even that.

Another so-called "guilty pleasure" I have enjoyed over the years is country music--particularly the more mainstream country rock of artists such as Garth Brooks, Kenney Chesney and Tim McGraw. I've seen all three of those acts in the last five years, and they put on one hell of a live show.

Not a guilty pleasure because I don't hide it or give a shit about what people think about it, but closest I have to something like that is disco. I love disco music.

I have a confession to make. I like classical organ music. My favorites have to be Bach played by the late great E Power Biggs. This stuff is powerful folks, and Biggs was a master at it.

Outside of my usual binging of prog metal, I will tune up some Hall & Oates and Toto. In fact, last year I saw Iron Maiden & Ghost live in Nashville within two weeks of seeing Hall & Oates and Tears for Fears in ATL. I also dabble in late 90, early 2000s alternative/rock like Days of the New which would not be considered a guilty pleasure I wouldn't guess. Nice to see so many eclectic musical musings on here though
Oh yes I forgot Toto. I can't believe I forgot them. And, I also forgot the Brian Howe Bad Company years. Loved it. Especially, Dangerous Age.

Last edited:
Oh yes I forgot Toto. I can't believe I forgot them. And, I also forgot the Brian Howe Bad Company years. Loved it. Especially, Dangerous Age.

This may be heresy, but I prefer Howe era Bad Company over Rogers-era Bad Co. I saw the Howe-helped version of Bad Co three times, and they always delivered, particularly on the Holy Water tour where they co-headlined with Damn Yankees (who gave an awesome show in their own right).

the theme musics to TV shows
i used to have to have the "full-length" version of The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air on my phone
with all the extra verses that never made it onto TV, and the extra loops of instrumental in-between each verse so that the thing was twice as long as what played on TV