Any guilty musical pleasures outside of Metal or HR?

That was the one I was listening to last night!! It tends to drag a little bit towards the end because some of the songs are a bit too long for that style I think! However, Lovesong is one of the best songs ever!!!

I always though 'Love Song' was the one track that did not fit on the album.
I can't say I follow, "for that style" because most of The Cure's material is more like the majority of the album than it is up-tempo pop songs. It was very much in that Joy Division vein.
Damn and without them were would Katatonia be? HAHA

Aquaman was the best analogy I could think of. Nothing but undeserved disrespect. Mardoch expressed what I apparently did not. I love DeYoung and Shaw. Too bad they couldn't get along.

I always though 'Love Song' was the one track that did not fit on the album.
I can't say I follow, "for that style" because most of The Cure's material is more like the majority of the album than it is up-tempo pop songs. It was very much in that Joy Division vein.
Damn and without them were would Katatonia be? HAHA

Yeah, I mean, for their style, that album drags a little. I don't have their whole collection, and perhaps I am being blindsided by having two 'Best Ofs' from them, and not listening to older records in their entirety. That said, I thought Bloodflowers was pretty good, even though songs are also looong. Saw them in concert in MA once. Hell of a show, with one set of Bloodflowers stuff and another one full of their most known material. A great 3 hour extravaganza.

Aquaman was the best analogy I could think of. Nothing but undeserved disrespect. Mardoch expressed what I apparently did not. I love DeYoung and Shaw. Too bad they couldn't get along.

Yeah, but have seen them with their current incarnation a couple of times and they bring it on. Too bad they haven't released anything new of value in a long while.

I saw them on the Return to Paradise tour in 96. That was absolute and pure magic for me. I will not see them again without a reunion. I'm probably missing out, but that's a stand I'm taking.

Yeah, I mean, for their style, that album drags a little. I don't have their whole collection, and perhaps I am being blindsided by having two 'Best Ofs' from them, and not listening to older records in their entirety. That said, I thought Bloodflowers was pretty good, even though songs are also looong. Saw them in concert in MA once. Hell of a show, with one set of Bloodflowers stuff and another one full of their most known material. A great 3 hour extravaganza.

Sadly I have never seen them live which is odd as much as I am into the Cure.
Best of.. yeah probably aren't the greatest representation though they are all good collections.
Bloodflower' admittly I have not listened to that many times.
I find The Cure to be a band that there certainly has to be the right mood sort of like listening to Camel or Pink Floyd.

I really don't have "guilty" pleasures, mostly just pleasure.
But if I had to pick a genre of music I really enjoy outside of metal, rock and prog, probably smooth jazz or 80s weird ass pop music.

Not particularly feeling guilty about too many of these.....

Dead Can Dance
Ozric Tentacles
Hidria Spacefolk
Lotus
Celldweller
Bella Morte
The Last Dance
The Cruxshadows
Godhead
Emerald Rose
How to Train Your Dragon soundtrack (like Viking metal...without the metal)

...and so many more....

Where do I start:
Right now I am really into this band from Tucson Az called Calexico, mixture of Mexican style rock with old school 60s and 70s

Also a band that has been around for awhile saw them on tour in 1994 with Steve Perry, BONEPONY

Oh I forgot THE GYPSY KINGS, saw they live last Tues in Albuquerque, awesome show, they still got it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Styx is awesome up to Edge of the Century and during their heyday (imo Equinox to Mr Roboto( were a hit machine. I loved Kansas also, imo they could do no wrong.

My other guilty pleasure which I hadn't thought about till I saw it posted was Dead Can Dance. I love Into The Labryinth and some of thier early stuff had some amazing tunes. Cantara, Fortune Presents Gifts Not According to the Book, Enigma of the Absolute, were all amazing songs.