Any guitarists on here?

mts1979

May 3, 2006
I just found this forum today, and I must say it's pretty kickass. Cool to see Paul on here as well.

Anyways...I am trying to put together a band, and we are short a guitarist. We've already got a vocalist/guitarist, a bassist, and Sasha Horn (played for Novembers Doom) on drums. The style of music is pretty different from N.D., it's more thrash based I guess. We are based in the Chicago area.

You can hear some of our stuff at:
http://www.myspace.com/trials

Send us a message there if any of you are interested. Thanks!

mark
TRIALS

Oinkness - we're getting so desperate at this point, a downtuned banjo might work out!

Well I'm in PA (not Finland or Chicago)

And honestly, I just checked out your stuff, and I'm honestly too much of a noob to figure out how to get my guitar detuned that low. I'm in D Standard right now though. ^^

Good ear, dude! It's actually A# standard (or B flat, if you're one of those "glass half empty" types).

Ahh inflames tuning aye! or least the more modern albums. Ha i just go to whatever my tuners say. my gt8 says A# and the Korg says B flat, in other words im completely fucked. I could record the guitar playing over the net and then when you play the UK il play live lmao :D :D

B flat huh. Not sure my guitar knows how to play that low. I got it down to B once but the strings almost fell off. And how come nobody ever tunes up? It's always down. I think I'm going to write some songs tuned up to G. :loco:

yeah and also by tuning down too low, if your bass player doesn't pay close enough attention to what he's writing, you can lose notes. Most sound systems will only create sounds down to 30hz or something (much worse when talking about headphones/ipod) if I remember correctly and some of these low bass notes are much lower than that. Therefore they are essentially gone. I like the sound of the low guitars, but you have to pay attention to the bass.

which is why its good for 5/6 string bass's. although it would actually be rather difficult to loose those notes. for example if you listen to massive attacks 'angel' the bass in that is so damn low its actually rather difficult to hear the definition of the notes. but even if you were to tune a bass down to the guitar equivalent of B flat you would be hard pressed to loose any of the notes.

On many home sound systems you may hear faint harmonic frequencies but the fundamental frequency can be lost. Granted, they need to be really low notes. But if your speakers can only do 30hz and the fundamental frequency of the note is 15hz, you aint gonna hear that frequency. But it appears that the B#/Ab is right around 30 hz so you I think most sound systems can create that (had to look into this a little more). But here;s the big problem with these low notes. Human hearing can go down to about 15 hz give or take based on the person, but apparently drops off very quickly after 42 hz. So that's were the muddy sound and lack of definition is coming from. You could combat the loss of definition by boosting the fundamental frequencies some but you of course have to make sure you aren't infringing on other instruments too much.

My own headphones don't play much bass, which is why I try to maintain some kind of decent mid to high tone on the bass.... so even though you may not hear the actual "bass" sound, you will be able to tell what the bassist is playing.... Sometimes that's all they care for in the end. Bass isn't usually very high in metal in general. I can't wait for the day when bass gets a fair shake... such an awesome instrument. :)

Whoa...I didn't check this thread for a couple of days and it got REALLY interesting. Cool.

And whoever mentioned Massive Attack's "Angel," that song rules. I was listening to it the other day on one of those clock CD player/radio crappy things, and it sounded like nothing was playing because the radio couldn't handle all that bass.

yeah but if you have a 5 string bass, the lowest string is tuned to B anyway. And honestly if all the other frequencies like treble and the mid are equally balanced then there should be absoloutley no problem at all.

Ah yes, but what is the proper balance? If you simply turn them all to zero, that may not work either. You may give the mixer fits. It has everything to do with what's going on with the rest of the instruments. Proper bass mixing (assuming you have good drums of course) is probably what makes a recording sound pro or amatuer. Finding a home for that bass is one of the more difficult things to do.