Any old timers (or new timers) remember Tony Carey??

metalprof

Ken Luther
Mar 11, 2005
Valparaiso, IN
faculty.valpo.edu
Anyone remember Tony Carey?

Not metal, of course, but probably on the radar of anyone who likes melodic rock (for his solo albums) or prog rock (for his Planet P project). He played keyboards for Rainbow at one time, if you do want a sort-of metal connection.

I saw that Planet P has a new CD out, but I haven't heard it. However, I just listened to Carey's first record Some Tough City for the first time in a loooong time and was reminded what a great record that is! The famous tracks were A Fine, Fine Day, and First Day of Summer, but I Can't Stop the World is the best song on the record, and is one of those I'd put on a compilation for the general masses of "the best songs you've never heard".

Has anyone heard his more recent solo material? I only know Some Tough City and Blue Highway.

Ken

I have 'Pink World' on vinyl, but I have to admit I can't really get into it (although the whole they may be pink, but their money's green thing is a private joke now). The hubby's a fan. :) I don't think he knows a new CD is out, so thanks for the info.

The only solo stuff I've heard is what he's played for me, which has been little and not particularly memorable to me.

Anyone remember Tony Carey?
I do! I do! I do! :hotjump:

He played keyboards for Rainbow at one time
Rising! See, I do remember.

I just listened to Carey's first record Some Tough City for the first time in a loooong time
I guess it was. ...and maybe that's why you decided to forget about these albums recorded/released before 'Some Tough City'

Yellow Power -1982
In The Absence Of The Cat
I Won't Be Home Tonight 1982
Explorer 1982
Heaven 1982
No Human 1982
Planet P Project 1983
and I think even the second PPP album Pink World was done before STC
Pink World is, btw, in some ways and in some ways clearly not my favorite Tony Carey album.

I saw that Planet P has a new CD out
It's finally out? I heard about this long ago... Gotta check it out.

The famous tracks were
If you must call them famous, then I would agree with you.

but I Can't Stop the World is the best song on the record
Good chorus but I find myself still singing 'A Lonely Life' and 'Eddie Goes Underground' when I'm working on stuff like raising the roof by a meter, building water cooling systems or anything else that doesn't require me to actually sing specific words at a specific time at a specific pitch. :) Whereas you'd hardly ever hear me sing 'I Can Stop the World'.

Has anyone heard his more recent solo material? I only know Some Tough City and Blue Highway.
I have most of them. Heard every album except one, I think.
...and more recent on this subject might very well begin as far back as 1987, I guess? At least it's later than 'Blue Highway'.
But why restrict ourselves to albums after since you haven't heard some earlier releases?

If we forget about the production and focus on the material I'd say that "Some Tough City" is one of his better if not the best.
Looking at some of the others my favorites would be, I won't rank them but I'll pick a favorite track or two...

The Long Road 'Ogalalla Boulevard', 'Goodnight America' and 'Jail'.
Special note to anyone that knows PPP and Pink World in
particular, listen to 'Dancing Days' and then find the relevant
section on the double concept album. :)

For You 'Heard it On the Radio', Can put it on repeat for hours...
Come to think of it, I never play anything else off the album.
Must mean I don't really like the album that much but this song
makes it worth buying.
Bedtime Story 'Do You Really Wanna Live Like That'
Storyville 'Stoney Daze (And Rainy Nights)'
Cold War Kids 'Cover it Up' I don't really like this album but I thought it was
fun hearing him do this. Ok, so I kind of like that song.

Oh, well, there's more but if you're looking to buy 1 album I'd say go for 'The Long Road' but I've probably overlooked something. I should go check my albums...

Outside of the Planet P recrod and the album he did with Rainbow, can;t say I have anything else by him.

I remember hearing him on the radio. He had a "small" hit did he not in the early early 80s or late 70s? I also "had" a lp.album of his but have no idea what it was or where it is.

I guess it was. ...and maybe that's why you decided to forget about these albums recorded/released before 'Some Tough City'

Yellow Power -1982
In The Absence Of The Cat
I Won't Be Home Tonight 1982
Explorer 1982
Heaven 1982
No Human 1982
Planet P Project 1983
and I think even the second PPP album Pink World was done before STC
Pink World is, btw, in some ways and in some ways clearly not my favorite Tony Carey album.

Hmmm - the original Planet P Project (1983) may be what put me on to Carey in the first place. I also saw him open for Jethro Tull (I think) as a solo act in Cincinnati back in the mid 80's. I have heard of I Won't Be Home Tonight, but didn't know when it was released. RockDetector.com has it listed as being released after Blue Highway, but it wouldn't be the first time something was wrong there. After all, it's the site claiming to be the "The World's Biggest Rock Music Database" but doesn't have an entry for the Moody Blues. :rolleyes:

TONY CAREY | Discography | Rockdetector

I don't know about Explorer, Human, and No Human. Are those solo records or records with another band?

It's finally out? I heard about this long ago... Gotta check it out.

"New" was the wrong word for me to use. "Newly observed by me" is more like it; it's a 2004 release that I just noticed at Ken Golden's site:

Planet P Project - 1931 - Go Out Dancing Part 1

Good chorus but I find myself still singing 'A Lonely Life' and 'Eddie Goes Underground' when I'm working on stuff like raising the roof by a meter, building water cooling systems

I would spend all my time cursing and injuring myself while doing things like that, so it's good you can sing while working. Actually, you should be singing "Power Tools" from that first Planet P Project album!!

Cheers,

Ken

Loved Pink World(Secont Planet P CD),weird concept CD
Have both Planet P projects
Rainbow Rising rules(Stargazer=top 25 song ever written,might hear a newer version by someone here in the future)