Any opinions on Spectraphy?

MKS

May 24, 2005
http://www.crysonic.com/spectraphy.html

Spectra'Phy™ -is the first Mastering grade look-ahead brickwall limiter of it's type to utilize the principals of mechanical physics for Audio processing. The innovative approach represents a paradigm shift in the way these types of DSP effects have been designed to date. The unique method employed easily allows the mastering engineer to achieve maximum perceived "loudness" transparently without ever getting overshoots (Digital-over's) with minimum audible distortion. The characteristics of the final audio can quickly be adjusted to taste, be it analog or digital with only two rotary-dials. The drive / color dial component also allows the addition of analog saturation when "running hot", this can naturally be disabled if not required. Spectraphy has been designed for ease of use and efficiency in mind without sacrificing creative freedom.

Spectraphy_screenshot.jpg

MKS said:
Spectra'Phy™ -is the first Mastering grade look-ahead brickwall limiter of it's type to utilize the principals of mechanical physics for Audio processing.

Haha, that's a brilliant bit of marketing nonsense - mechanics isn't even remotely applicable to a limiter. Mechanics is the movement of physical objects and the forces relating to them. There are no mechanics in a limiter, it's all electrical regardless of whether it's analogue or digital (well, maybe with a tube you could be pedantic and say there's some thermodynamics from the heat given off). I love the way they're implying that other limiters don't follow the laws of physics or something - so what, L2 works on the principles of Faery Magic? Personally I'd like them to come up with a limiter that works on the principles of Non-Newtonian fluids so I can have one made of custard.

It all looks very pretty, but the quote is just hyperbolic crap and buzzwords.

Steve

Come on, that tube is fucking awesome!!!

Actually, I've read some positive posts on the Sonar forum. I was just curious if any of you guys had any input since Sonar users don't tend to be metal oriented.