Any Sepultura fans here?

edgeofthorns

24 Hours Ago...
Jan 2, 2005
City beneath the surface
I've honestly never given this band a fair shake, until I came across the remastered edition of their Beneath The Remains disc the other day. I bought it on a whim and I've been lovin' it! It's pure thrash, so if you're not into that scene, I wouldn't recommend it.

With that said, I'm not too familiar with the band's history. How do their other releases measure up to Beneath The Remains?

~Brian~

Oh boy...

Sepultura fanboy here since I was growing up, maybe 9 years old... Possibly one of the most important bands in the history of metal, and whoever says otherwise, deserves to be shot on the face (and not just because I like them).

I'd go with Chaos A.D., Arise and Roots as well. The new material (with the new lineup) is not as good as the old stuff... I have to admit I enjoy Dante XXI immensely though. Stay away from Roorback.

Morbid Visions, Schizophrenia, Beneath the Remains, and Arise are my favorite discs from them. Really the only ones that I like. Roots is basically the first nu-metal album.

:lol: Oh yeah, you are absolutely right.

I forget that anything that's not Manowar, Savatage or Iron Maiden for some people in this forum, is Nu Metal.

Well..seeing as how out of those 3 bands, the only one who I listen to regularly is Iron Maiden, that doesn't really apply to me. In fact I think most bands discussed on this board suck, but I don't call them nu-metal at all.

Take away the Brazilian influences from Roots and what are you left with? Vocals that sound like the guy from Drowning Pool and guitar lines that sound exactly like something Korn would write. I'm not saying that they hopped on the trend, but that they had a big part in starting it (although looking at release dates, it seems Korn released an album 2 years before Roots came out). I'm not the only one who feels this way seeing as I've had this same conversation with many people both in real life and on various forums.

But hey, I suppose that I really don't know all that much about metal after all, since everything that doesn't fall into something I like is really just nu-metal.

Edit: Oh, and members from Korn and Limp Bizkit had guest appearances on this album. No way is it related to nu-metal AT ALL.

Well..seeing as how out of those 3 bands, the only one who I listen to regularly is Iron Maiden, that doesn't really apply to me. In fact I think most bands discussed on this board suck, but I don't call them nu-metal at all.

Take away the Brazilian influences from Roots and what are you left with? Vocals that sound like the guy from Drowning Pool and guitar lines that sound exactly like something Korn would write. I'm not saying that they hopped on the trend, but that they had a big part in starting it (although looking at release dates, it seems Korn released an album 2 years before Roots came out). I'm not the only one who feels this way seeing as I've had this same conversation with many people both in real life and on various forums.

But hey, I suppose that I really don't know all that much about metal after all, since everything that doesn't fall into something I like is really just nu-metal.

Dude, that was meant to be a joke. Don't take it seriously bro, chill out. :lol:

I agree with you in parts. It is a more modern, different sound than say Beneath the Remains. But you can't just blatantly call it Nu Metal, cause it still isn't a Drowning Pool or a Chevelle album, ya know? Can't just push it like that imo...

Dude, that was meant to be a joke. Don't take it seriously bro, chill out. :lol:

I agree with you in parts. It is a more modern, different sound than say Beneath the Remains. But you can't just blatantly call it Nu Metal, cause it still isn't a Drowning Pool or a Chevelle album, ya know? Can't just push it like that imo...

Ah yeah, I wasn't sure if you were joking or not, since a lot of people here (myself included) wouldn't know a joke response if it slapped them in the face.

On a side note, I actually really like the first Chevelle disc. Weird I know, but it has some catchy tunes.

Ah yeah, I wasn't sure if you were joking or not, since a lot of people here (myself included) wouldn't know a joke response if it slapped them in the face.

On a side note, I actually really like the first Chevelle disc. Weird I know, but it has some catchy tunes.

Hahahah you do deserve a slap on the face now :lol:

Another Sepultura fanboy here. The first album that I got my hands on was Beneath The Remains too. It was the first thrash/death outfit I ever listened too, and loved every second of it.
Arise, their next album, I consider it one of the best thrash albums of all time, right up there with Slayer's Reign in Blood. It is fast, technical and the production was excellent.
Then Chaos A.D. after that, and they came out with a different sound. From them on, Sepultura concentrated a little more in the heaviness of their sound than on the speed, mixing a lot more hardcore and punk influences. And this album became a landmark for the 90's more heavy approach on metal. I will say it has become Sepultura's most influential album, music scene wise.
Roots to me became a statement album. They exposed totally their latin american heritage, and mixed it up with their new heavier than life sound, which makes it a very special work. Later during the 90's, bands like Il Nino and Puya, did their own thing, experimenting with latin sounds, too each their own (Puya was more latin jazz oriented).
After Max's departure, all other albums maintained some of the Roots sound, getting even darker (if that's possible). but more hardcore/punk oriented in my opinion. Derrick Green's vocals gave them a little more room to work melody wise, and still mantain their agrressiveness.
Their last effort, Dante XXI, is a great album. They went back to the thrash years a bit, and got themeselves a mix of everything Sepultura has experimented with, and got out a very good record. In my opinion, they have been pioneers (specially during Max's years) to some sounds and they still have a lot in them. So to this day, they are still one of my favorite bands of all time:headbang:

If you like Beneath the Remains, you can't go wrong with Arise or Schizophrenia. I strongly recommend getting the remasters of either.

Morbid Visions, Schizophrenia, Beneath the Remains, and Arise are my favorite discs from them. Really the only ones that I like. Roots is basically the first nu-metal album.

?!

I think you're alone in that thought. No problem with your opinion, but I'll put Roots up against any Korn or Limp Bizkit any day. Having artists from those bands guest on your album doesn't mean a thing to me. No one called Motorhead a sell out when they cut a track with Ice-T and whats-his-nuts from Ugly Kid Joe or something.

Roots, to me, was the final stage of Sepultura blending metal and heritage.

?!

I think you're alone in that thought. No problem with your opinion, but I'll put Roots up against any Korn or Limp Bizkit any day. Having artists from those bands guest on your album doesn't mean a thing to me. No one called Motorhead a sell out when they cut a track with Ice-T and whats-his-nuts from Ugly Kid Joe or something.

Roots, to me, was the final stage of Sepultura blending metal and heritage.

Sorry bro, but where did I call Sepultura sell-outs? I said that they helped start the trend, not that the "sold out" and joined it.

As for me being alone in my opinion, go ahead and read the reviews for the album on Metal-Archives. I'm not saying that I only believe this about that album because people there do, but what I am saying is that there are plenty of people who feel the same way about Roots.

Starting with Bestial Devastation split album, then onto Morbid Visions, Schizophrenia, Beneath the Remains, Arise and Chaos A.D. are the ONLY cds to get by the band. Starting with Roots the band completely changed their sound from thrash and they completely lost me. I was a fan since 1986 but after a decade the band jumped the shark. Too bad, because they were one of the defining thrash bands of the genre.