Any shows in NY on Saturday, May 2

I'll be there wearing a Meshuggah shirt. :B

Not even kidding.

Yeah. I normally carry my Epica shirt in my bag for out of uniform stuff. If I decide to go to see Nightwish, I can't wear that. I'll have to go with Iced Earth or Therion or something like that.

Crap. None of them run late enough. I could get there, I just couldn't get back after the show. Maybe I'll rent a car (airline discount), or maybe I'll just blow it off and hang in the hotel bar with the crew. I'm not big into new NW anyway. Volbeat might be cool to see though.

Crap. None of them run late enough. I could get there, I just couldn't get back after the show. Maybe I'll rent a car (airline discount), or maybe I'll just blow it off and hang in the hotel bar with the crew. I'm not big into new NW anyway. Volbeat might be cool to see though.

Definitely not $50 cool. I'm not even sure why I'm going really.

I caught last night's show so I have to say that Volbeat was absolutely awesome (they played 45 minutes and fit in all my favorite songs) and Nightwish played a really good setlist. We weren't even planning on staying the entire time but changed our minds midway through the set. It's pretty much what they've been playing in Europe the past two months if you keep up with that, but it's a nice change from the last time through here. First time I was finally able to hear one of my favorite songs of theirs.

Also, Nightwish was filming the show and had Troy Donockley with them. He's going to be at all but the Atlanta show I think.

Only crappy thing was that Volbeat's merch didn't arrive on time so I couldn't get anything of theirs. Supposedly it'll be there today.

Looks like I'll be going, not because I'm looking forward to the show, but to see friends. I'll be the tall guy with short hair and a PPUSA III t-shirt (hopefully will meet up with Paula, Zod, and Stardust 2112).

Sure had a good time last night! The best part was getting out and seeing friends again. Thanks to all of you who came by to visit me in the handicap area. Must say, the Nokia did a bang up job of taking care of me and my wheelchair. Couldn't have possibly asked for more. My friend had a VIP ticket and they let me AND my husband backstage with her. Was kind of fun, but for anyone who has never done it, don't pay for it. Jens from Strato was there looking well and pretty muched stoked for the upcoming tour. I'll be back to the Nokia for that one, no doubt! Especially, with Pagan's Mind warming up.

Back to last night, Volbeat was fantastic. First two songs were decent, but not mhy favs. Then they really picked it up with a lot of energy and interaction with the crowd. They are a GREAT live band and I really hope to catch them again with a longer set.

I've seen Nightwish a LOT, so I might be a little jaded. They put on a very good show, but not one of their best. I liked most of the setlist. Anette did a nice job of "The Siren". It was extremely touching when they did "Higher Than Hope" for Marc Brueland's family, who were in the audience. Anette did a good job last night, but was off on occasion and the outfit, I hate to say, was awful. I really hate when people get picky about what performers wear, so I rarely say anything, but this sack thing was truly awful. And they were filming this? Bad choice.

Being in the back balcony, I didn't have quite the connection with the performance as usual, but from my perspective, Jukka owned the stage. His energy and playing was the highlight of the show for me, along with guest, Troy's variousl instrumental additions. What were those things he was playing?

Overall, a great show. So very glad I screwed up my courage and went. :headbang:

Thanks for the report AMBR! :headbang:

Anette wearing a "sack thing"? :cool: She has an endorsement deal with this Swedish fashion house and the Swedes are not particularly acknowledged here for having the best taste in fashion :heh: :p
(Sorry, for any Swedes around this is a j/k ...honestly :saint: )

The "thing" Troy plays is called Uileann pipes, the national bagpipe of Ireland.

The uilleann pipes bag is inflated by means of a small set of bellows strapped around the waist and the right arm. The bellows not only relieves the player from the effort needed to blow into a bag to maintain pressure, they also allow relatively dry air to power the reeds, reducing the adverse effects of moisture on tuning and longevity. Some pipers can converse or sing while playing as well.

:lol:
Thanks for the report AMBR! :headbang:

Anette wearing a "sack thing"? :cool: She has an endorsement deal with this Swedish fashion house and the Swedes are not particularly acknowledged here for having the best taste in fashion :heh: :p
(Sorry, for any Swedes around this is a j/k ...honestly :saint: )

The "thing" Troy plays is called Uileann pipes, the national bagpipe of Ireland.

The uilleann pipes bag is inflated by means of a small set of bellows strapped around the waist and the right arm. The bellows not only relieves the player from the effort needed to blow into a bag to maintain pressure, they also allow relatively dry air to power the reeds, reducing the adverse effects of moisture on tuning and longevity. Some pipers can converse or sing while playing as well.

Thanks for the clarification on the instrument. I had known that at one point, but forgot. :oops: I dunno about Swedish fashion or what designer is picking her wardrobe, but that outfit was a miss. Big, baggy shift with a gathered up swoop of cloth just under her rear end. Made her look large and shapeless, which she surely is not. Rather good description, Kaosaur. :lol:

I don't understand Metal Concert Fashion Ettiquite.

Don't want people to think I'm only into girlie metal. ;)

It was SO cool to hang with everybody. It was cool to meet Kaosaur, AngraRules, and AMBR, and hang out with Stardust 2112, Zod, and Paula. I can't wait to see your tats AMBR. Get cool ones. It was an expensive night, but worth every cent.

I'm glad I was able to bring some sun to NYC too. ;)

I was impressed by Volbeat. I don't have their album, but they were fun live. Great energy even though the singer was sick. The 2nd guitar player was lots of fun to watch too. I think they would have rocked PPUSA.

While I though that uilean pipe was cool, I got bored half way through the intro (it was WAY too long), so I hit the bathroom and the bar. When I came back, they were playing 7 Days to the Wolves. I thought it sounded like crap. I saw them the first time they came around and it sounded much better than this did. I don't know if they played around with the arrangement, or if the venue's sound was off or what. It didn't sound great though.

Her outfit was horrible!!! MY first though was, "WTF? Is she trying to look like Debbie Harry?" It was an epic fail.

I'll see Volbeat again, but I won't see Nightwish again.

I don't understand Metal Concert Fashion Ettiquite.
Rule 1... never wear the t-shirt of the band you're seeing.

Rule 2... always wear a t-shirt from a band heavier than the one you're seeing.

It was SO cool to hang with everybody. It was cool to meet Kaosaur, AngraRules, and AMBR, and hang out with Stardust 2112, Zod, and Paula. I can't wait to see your tats AMBR. Get cool ones. It was an expensive night, but worth every cent.
It was good seeing you as well. Glad we got to hang while you were in town.

I was impressed by Volbeat. I don't have their album, but they were fun live. Great energy even though the singer was sick. The 2nd guitar player was lots of fun to watch too. I think they would have rocked PPUSA.
Volbeat is an awesome live band.

Her outfit was horrible!!! MY first though was, "WTF? Is she trying to look like Debbie Harry?" It was an epic fail.
Yeah. Not something I typically care about... but wow.

I'll see Volbeat again, but I won't see Nightwish again.
Agreed. We didn't even make it through a full Nightwish song.

Zod

It was a fun evening, for sure. Very nice to meet you, Yipee, looking forward till next time. As usual, hanging out with Mr. and Mrs. Zod (Greg & Paula) was great as well!! One of these days I'll come visit you guys in Jersey.. And AMBR, I hope you feel better soon!

Now as for the show... Volbeat SLAYED and they were super cool guys too. I would go back to see them anyday. As far as Nightwish goes, absolutely boring. The setlist was crap, Annette sung like crap and looked like she was beaten at home.

Oh yeah, and I wonder why she was wrapped on the New York Times for an outfit. What an ugly dress...

Rule 1... never wear the t-shirt of the band you're seeing.

Rule 2... always wear a t-shirt from a band heavier than the one you're seeing.

Because of Rule #2, I have to break Rule #1 whenever I see Meshuggah. :D (Actually come to think of it, I don't really think I have but it's still funny.)

Maybe I'll pick up some drone metal shirts.