Any thoughts on this year's ProgPower USA CD sampler so far?

Kyo

Myung at Heart
Oct 20, 2009
Nuremberg, Germany
www.myspace.com
Hey everyone,

hope you're enjoying the festival so far! I haven't seen any mention of this year's CD sampler yet, so I thought I'd start this thread. I hope that after the last note is played at the festival, everyone who was there discovers some great new music through this sampler! :)

The thing is, my band has a track on it this year. We're called Relocator (as is the track and the album) and we have former Dream Theater keyboardist Derek Sherinian guesting on all tracks of our debut. If you like the track on the CD, you can check out all our other songs on these two sites:
http://www.myspace.com/relocatorproject
http://www.facebook.com/relocatorproject

All the best,
Michael | Bass | Relocator

I love Track 9 on CD 1. Halycon Way - The Age of Betrayal. At least I think that's the name of the track. The print for the track listing is a bit small making it difficult to read with my old fart glasses on.

I put all the tracks on my Ipod, and interestingly enough, the first track it played on random from the CD was the Relocator track.

I'm not big on instrumental prog, but it was pretty good actually, so that means people who do like that style will probably really dig it.

Not had a chance to listen to it yet. If I can ever get this fucking Creation's End CD out of my player, I'll have to go give the sampler CD a listen :lol: Damn, that is a fucking awesome album!

I have listen both disc of this years sampler, and it is full of really kickass music! The song by Halcyon Way on this sampler made me buy the album!! The Guardians of Time song is kind of old,I have that cd Machines of Mental Design, but it's good to get their name out there again with the new stuff coming out. Aeon Zen Kicks major Ass well I could go through the whole list but I won't. If you haven't listened to it yet give it a spin. Great new finds on there for me this year. There is only on band that I didn't enjoy on it Pathfinder(sound like dragonforce,and thats never good)

Quick first impressions on the sampler cd: king crow, relocator, southern cross, halcyon way, neverland, black mass rising, aeon Zen and noumeno songs all grabbed my ear without even a repeat listen. Going to take a couple of days and listen through both disks again.

I've listened to disc 1 so far and off the top of my head right now Kingcrow jumped out immediately. Very impressive. I also enjoyed Guardians of Time. I also mean to pick up the new Division album at some point.

Disc 2 listen will be tonight.

The big problem with the sampler, which is a problem that I've had every year since 2004, is the vendors merch room! I buy so many cds that the ProgPower cd never gets a chance to make it into my player! I tell myself every year to give the sampler 1st shot at making an impression, but every year I fail. This year it was Fractures cd which took precedence over all else, followed by While Heaven Wept, Voyager, Creations End and James LaBrie. Speaking of LaBrie, WTF is with the vocals on the 1st song??? HOLY SHIT did I not expect that!!! The new LaBrie cd is amazing!

This year might be the most successful in terms of buying cds that are actually good. Every year I buy 30 or more and I get latched on to 10 or so and the others never get a chance to make their mark. Having an iPod this year helps in terms of having the music with me wherever I go, so...

Carry on

I've listened to disc 1 so far and off the top of my head right now Kingcrow jumped out immediately. Very impressive. I also enjoyed Guardians of Time. I also mean to pick up the new Division album at some point.

Glad you liked it - that's one of my personal favs from the disc. Obviously, you know where to find me when you decide to buy, or just hit Lance up. ;)

I have listen to the first cd and thouht everthing was really good, except for the Vector. KINGCROW was by far the best on cd one. The only one on the second disc I listen to was IN THE MACHINE because Corey Brown sings on it. song was soso, sounded kind of demoish. will listen to the rest today.

Thanks for mentioning the IN THE MACHINE song on the sampler CD. Good call on the song sounding like a demo. We really should have specified on the title for the CD track that the song is in fact a demo version. The new studio version of the song sounds bigger and better (IMHO).

We are in the studio working on our debut CD. Just this past Tuesday night Corey and our drummer Doug finished up the vocal tracks and they are sounding great. We have posted videos on our YouTube channel of some behind the scenes shot of us in the studio (some funny stuff out got captured) if anyone is interested in checking those out.

Thanks again,

Ian
Bass

Love the VOR

also heres what stands out to me

Pathfinder
Halcyon Way
Neverland
Dakrya
Hedda
Seven Kingdoms