Any thoughts on your labelmates, AYREON?

StocktontoMalone

The Cynical Realist
Dec 12, 2002
Tiverton, RI
Visit site
Just downloaded(yes, I will buy a legit copy on May 24th), 'Human Equation'

These CDs rock!!! Have had 'Into the Electric Castle' for years...Arjen is a genius. :worship: :worship: :worship: 'Star One' was great as well....

Anybody? Beuller? :tickled: :tickled:

Right here!!! :hotjump:

BIG Arjen fan. Started with the Flight of the Migrator CDs - then got Electric Castle and it's one of my favorite concept albums. ("Across the Rainbow Bridge!!")

STAR ONE kicked major ass - great CD. (cool DVD too!!) And really anxious for Human Equation - that comes out next month I believe - around the 25th?...
(and LaBrie on it too - been waiting for THAT for a while... sweet!:headbang: )

[Hey Disco - What's up man? Just remembered the other day about the conversation you and Kevin and I had at dinner right before the IMusicast show about bands we liked - I was gonna list a few out for you I think - just listening to EVERGREY's new one on the way into work today and I think that was one of the ones for you to try - Start with 'In Search of The Truth' (concept album about an alien abductee), then 'Recreation Day' (truly their masterpeice), and the The Inner Circle (which just came out this past week - 1st listen this morning and it kicks ass.)]

I have the single which I bought a the pre-listening party. There are 2 album tracks on it. Haven't heard the rest of the album. Still I'm not over exited. I was with Into the Electric Castle though. 12 different vocalists on this new album. It seems a bit over the top. Wonder if I will like this one as I don't like everyone's voice. It was cool to see the DVD at The Human Equation party. Arjen explains how he went about this project and how he got all the singers involved.

Hey, Burke =). I've added those to the list...unfortunately, due to financial complications, I haven't been able to buy a new cd in...well....um....I think the last cd I bought was at the Enchant concert, amazingly enough. I've got a list of stuff I need to buy as soon as I can scrape some pennies together, and Evergrey is definitely on that list =).

Demonspell: I asked Ted about Ayreon, and he wasn't too familiar with the band (took a bit to figure out who I was talking about)...I'm convinced Ted would fit in perfectly with a lot of Arjen's other singers.

I'm excited about it, but my optimism is guarded. While "Electric Castle" is one of the top 10 CDs in my collection, what Arjen has released since (Universal Migrator and Star One) have been pitiful excuses for music, imo....

Hopefully he figured out how to write songs again.

-matt

DiscoDave said:
Hey, Burke =). I've added those to the list...unfortunately, due to financial complications, I haven't been able to buy a new cd in...well....um....I think the last cd I bought was at the Enchant concert, amazingly enough. I've got a list of stuff I need to buy as soon as I can scrape some pennies together, and Evergrey is definitely on that list =).

Demonspell: I asked Ted about Ayreon, and he wasn't too familiar with the band (took a bit to figure out who I was talking about)...I'm convinced Ted would fit in perfectly with a lot of Arjen's other singers.

Disco - hey man - send me an email with your mailling addy and I'll hook you up with a burn or two of Evergrey - save yah some green, bro!! :headbang:

I appreciate the offer, but that's okay...I try to stay away from burns, especially when I'm broke. BTW, my car muffler fell off yesterday. Another $200 in repairs needed. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!

I must admit that I was a bit afraid of the new forthcoming album by the hand of Mr. Lucassen. Star One never fited so well in my collection, I didn't like it so much, although I know it was pretty good, I found that "cosmic" tinge too much annoying. That EP, "Ayreonauts Only" also left me freaking totally out, thinking that Lucassen had lost the direction and was taking an experimental new path.

I also downloaded the new Ayeron's album and I'm eager to grab the original special edition, this album is the most complete album Arjen has never released: the concept is way more solid than the previous ones (because the previous ones were cheesy, yes), the music, the singers... everything!!!

So, Enchant kicked some asses with "Tug Of War" and now Lucassen do the same with "Human Equation". Really something to... jump!! :hotjump:

|ng.

I just recently got the limited edition digi-book 2CD + DVD version of "The Human Equation" and the thing is worth the price for the artwork/packaging alone!

Truly beautiful!

I haven´t fully digested the music yet, but especially the voices of Buddy Lackey/Devon Graves and Eric Claydon are spot on!

...and the drumming of Ed Warby is equally impressive...

This COULD turn out to be a contender for my album-of-the-year 2004...

...we´ll see...

Just got my boxed edition yesterday - will post up a review wqhen I get into it.

And yeah, the packaging is killer! Good job Inside Out!!!:headbang:

My previous post on this topic was on April 29. In the meantime I have had the album since it was released in Holland on May 21. I've been listening to it for a couple of weeks and it has grown on me. I was amazed by Devin Townsend. Too bad he's not that much on this album. I think the music is very diverse and the performance of the folk musicians is a welcome extra. I like the way the characters are personified by all these great singers. This is another good Ayreon album.

Some very tame responses, IMO. The Human Equasion is easily my album of the year. I can't imagine another release topping this, its that good! Lucasson has reached new heights this time around. The mix of heavy parts with folk and prog has never been done better as far as I'm concerned. The vocals are amazing, all of them gave great performances. But my favorites arer Irene Janson, Mike Baker and James Labrie, they gave unbelievable performances. And the guy from Savior Machine was an inspired choice. He's got such a wierd but interesting voice. And I never thought I would ever say this, but the growling by the guy from Opeth actually fit the part! Of course its only a few seconds worth. I really like his 'clean' vocals though. My favorite song is Day 11, a song that should be on radio everywhere, but obviously that will not happen.

yyzmoose said:
My favorite song is Day 11, a song that should be on radio everywhere, but obviously that will not happen.

Well Day 11 was released as a single as you probably know and even had a video for the Music Box in Holland. Unfortunately it didn't get airplay.

My favourite songs is "Accident". But I like the album as a complete concept. Lucassen is amazing.

Ayreon and nearly everything else Arjen does has been one of my favourite bands/projects ever since hearing "Into the Electric Castle". His way to blend probably every genre of music in a crispy bun of Prog Rock with choice melodies is absolutely outstanding. I love the hell out of "The Human Equation", especially its heavier, darker moments and fantastic vocalists (best cast ever on an Arjen records, and that´s saying quite a lot).
Main contender für Album Of The Year, easily, I don´t really know what could possibly dispute it...