Any tips for recording........

madbutcher

May 23, 2005
St Louis
www.harkonin.com
A bluesy,hippie jam band style music?

I'm recording one this week. Just seeing if any of the engineers here have anything to help with...I'm used to recording heavier music and hip hop so this is going to be a change for me.

not that I have any experience in this department, but I do have two small recommendations:

A) have some ribbon mics around. they might be handy for this kind of thing.
B) if the band is actually improvising (jam band?), make sure the environment they are in is comfortable, not just white walls and bright lights.

Carrier Flux said:
not that I have any experience in this department, but I do have two small recommendations:

A) have some ribbon mics around. they might be handy for this kind of thing.
B) if the band is actually improvising (jam band?), make sure the environment they are in is comfortable, not just white walls and bright lights.

A) I don't have (and actually have never used) any ribbon mics yet....Still have a decent selection though

B) Covered.

Basically, mic them up but put up a ton of room mics too. The live vibe of a band can be amazing, if captured correctly. If the room is great sounding, use the room, and if otherwise, use artificial rooms and reverbs to create the room. Jam bands sound the best when they sound like they're specifically playing for the listener.

rhythmicpunisher said:
For starters let them jam as a whole band.. Unlike many metal productions.

I usually record bands as a whole anyway, no problem there.

And as for the room mics, any tips on using those? I havn't used a room mic in a long time because I never got one to sound good to me. I do have a really nicely designed, good sounding room though. I have the band all jam in the same room, but from the design of the room and some baffling a get practically no bleed.

Set up is tonight......