Anybody familiar with Kansas City?

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
I've been offered a job with a company just outside of Kansas City (Olathe, KS) with the possibility of relocating there from Chicago area. What can anybody tell me about the area....which places to live or avoid....what it's like down there....etc?

I've lived in west suburbs of Chicago my whole life, so probably looking for something similar.....far enough away from the downtown area, yet close enough to get to the action if needed.

I keep hearing about how the "cost of living" is less there. How does one take this into account for determining if the offer is decent? i.e. if I was making 50k at my last job here, and they offer me 50k to go down there, what's the comparative salary up here...?

Mr. Biffle lives in nearby Lawerence. I'm sure he can help you out :)

KC is laid back compared to most urban areas. I'd move back there if I didn't have a really good paying job where I'm at now. My family is from Kansas so that would be nice to be back there again.

I lived in Olathe from 87-02 and my parents still live there. So I am an Olathe expert, but I have never been on a salary and am only familiar with what my parents make. But if u have any questions in regards of how much stuff costs ie apts, houses, gas, food or other general info I am sure I can provide u the info.

When I lived in St. Louis and worked at the ad agency, one of our clients was in Kansas City. I visited there a few times. I believe I was even in Olathe.

From what I recall, Kansas City is a great city. Lots of night clubs, restaurants, a pro football team (I saw Pink Floyd at the KC Chiefs Stadium), a fairly hip place. Kind of trendy, at least in the downtown area. Sort of like Minneapolis in that respect. Of course, that was 15 years ago. But I remember liking KC and surrounding areas a lot.

Of all the cities I've visited, I'd rank KC in the top 15 in the U.S. If the job's salary was good, and the company itself solid, I wouldn't hesitate to move there.

My wife and I are going down there this weekend to visit with some of her relatives in the Overland Park area. This will be the last thing to do prior to my decision day on Monday.

Besides Overland Park and Olathe, any other 'burbs to recommend for nice homes/neighborhoods? Perhaps an older area as opposed to brand new development. I'm a sucker for a lot of mature trees in a neighborhood....most newer places have no trees for miles.

If u want an older area check out Shawnee, Mission, or Merriam, the closer to Kansas City the older the area for the most part. But if u want to stay in Overland Park u could as well like around the 80th street, which is North Overland Park. Downtown KC and Westport (the bar area) starts at about 40th to give u an idea of how far u would be from a clubs etc. Whereas my parents live in South Olathe which is about 140th and there aint shit for old trees unless u had them transplanted. Essentially all the cities run together it is just a big soccer mom metropolis if u r outside Kansas City.

It is definitely cheaper then Overland Park. Depending on the part of Overland Park u live houses go up as high like 600K or so and as low as probably 180 or 200k. Whereas Merriam 200 k is probably the high end with like 110k on the low side

Scott, do a google search for "cost of living comparison calculator" ... lots of stuff will come up. Some seem better than others. It might be worth your time to give it a look.

Good Luck !!

Britt

Here's what my buddy said about Olathe, KS. He's from the Chicago area, so some of his references are Chicago-centric.

Olathe! Its a great area - broken in two sections. Old and new. Older stuff I guess would be like Des Plaines while the newer area would be comparable to Deerfield. Kind of a stark difference =)

Cost of living is quite nice. You make a little less here but spend a lot less on things like housing. Rentals go from 450+ while homes are quite low. I have a four bedroom four bathroom full finished basement that would run 400+ in Illinois. I paid 250.

If you are used to Chicago and love the downtown then KC is not for you. Our downtown has very little night life and not so much in the "things to do" scene. There is enough to do sure - but over time its really kind of dull.

This area (Johnson County) continuously is called one of the best places to raise kids and usually fairs quite well as a top educational institution.

To add to mike's post - Johnson County ranks in the top five richest counties per capita in the country. We have some of the best schools, our junior college is also ranked in the top five in culinary arts schools across the country as well.

Also really there are like three different areas of Olathe, there is downtown olathe which is the old classic olathe where houses cant be more then 200k, then there is east olathe where my parents live and houses are close to what mike says 400k, and then there is west olathe which is like east olathe but a smidge cheaper due to the fact that its not as centralized with highways.

Thanks for the information. We visited the area last weekend and really liked it. Our hosts drove us all over the various neighborhoods so we got a feel for the various different communities. Needless to say, we were very happy with what we saw and took away no negatives. Some of the notables we liked were Overland Park, Prairie Village, Mission, Lenexa, and the older section of Leawood. Olathe was ok, but it seemed like a lot of the homes were the same style, and we want a bit of variety....maybe that was just the section we saw?

We are negotiating with the company, and it's looking very promising....but we have not officially decided.

What about the rock scene in the area? Are there places to go see live bands? Do you ever get any PPUSA style bands come through....or would I still have to road trip or fly to see decent shows? If not in the KC area, what about the surrounding larger towns (if any)?

What about the rock scene in the area? Are there places to go see live bands? Do you ever get any PPUSA style bands come through....or would I still have to road trip or fly to see decent shows? If not in the KC area, what about the surrounding larger towns (if any)?

Unfortunately, our scene blows. Every once in a while we get some good shows, but typically KC will get skipped. Plenty of places to see bands just not metal bands. Tulsa is about 5 hours, Saint Louis is 4, Des Moines is 4, Chicago is about 9, Minneapolis is about 7, Denver is 10, so yeah u gotta drive some times for good shows.

MGG0116.gif

:lol:

When I lived in Overland park for a year or so we lived next to a donut shop kind of on a hill.

One day I went out for a smoke and there was some guy behind the donut shop pissing. Since I was kind of behind a fence, he didn't see me. But I sure as shit saw him. Of course I hollered at him to stop. The guy jumped, but kept peeing as he looked around. I kept yelling at him to stop peeing. (Not that I really cared, but just to spook him). After he finished, he walked into the back of the donut shop.

Needless to say, I lost the urge to check out the place.

Oh, and I love "The Paseo". It was something that stuck with me. It's not a street or a road or anything of the sorts, it's just The Paseo.

-MetalRose

Regardless of MetalRose' experience near Overland Park's "finest" donut shop...

I have accepted a position with Garmin International based in Olathe, KS, just soutwest of KC. I start on February 22nd. "Kansas City here I come..."

Regardless of MetalRose' experience near Overland Park's "finest" donut shop...

I have accepted a position with Garmin International based in Olathe, KS, just soutwest of KC. I start on February 22nd. "Kansas City here I come..."

Oh Garmin is right by my parents place. You have to hit me up when u are settled and we will go out for drinks in KC at the good bars for our crowd.