Local Atlanta rock scene

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
My friend of mine is thinking of relocating to Atlanta from Chicago. His wife's company has requested that she move down there since the corporate HQ is there, otherwise she will probably be laid off. She is the breadwinner in the family so this is something to consider seriously.

He is in his mid 40s and plays guitar in a couple of classic rock bands here in Chicago, and basically is assuming that he would need to learn to play Lynyrd Skynyrd and southern rock songs or rap if he was going to get in some bands in ATL. His background is in 70's hard rock and metal.....Nugent, UFO, Deep Purple, Rainbow. He has great vocal range and sings like Paul Stanley or Dave Meniketti (Y&T). Can somebody tell me what the bar scene is like for cover bands, and do you think he may find some like minded folks and places to play to potentially ease his mind about moving to Atlanta? Is there a known source that he could research to find out more about the Atlanta rock scene? In the Chicago area, we have a free newspaper/website called the Illinois Entertainer. Appreciate your input. Thanks!

No, it's not all Lynyrd Skynyrd and rap here. :lol:

Creative Loafing used to be THE weekly source for bar and show listings, but it seems like their presence (and their music calendar) is getting smaller and smaller each year.

If he's good, he'll probably do okay.

No, it's not all Lynyrd Skynyrd and rap here. :lol:

not if I have anything to do with it. :Smug:

:lol: and I have had something to do with it for about three years now. I think we've broken some barriers and made some strides in the classic hard rock and traditional metal areas.

KingsGene - please be sure to tell your friend to contact me as well. I have some sources that could help point him in the right direction. Have him write me at pathfinderhoyt [at] gmail [dot] com.

Thanks!

~Hoyt.