Metal scene in Atlanta

Daybreaker

Red, Hot, and Heavy
Jul 6, 2002
San Antonio, TX
Visit site
I was wondering. Is the metal scene in Atlanta fairly strong? I am wondering because PP seems to be pretty succesful each year and I am considering relocating in the not too distant future as theres no way in hell I will ever find a metal band where I live and one of my considerations is to go to PP IV, and well, not come back and stay in Atlanta. I am just curious to see what the metal scene is like there before I make such a drastic move.

Ben

Daybreaker said:
I was wondering. Is the metal scene in Atlanta fairly strong? I am wondering because PP seems to be pretty succesful each year and I am considering relocating in the not too distant future as theres no way in hell I will ever find a metal band where I live and one of my considerations is to go to PP IV, and well, not come back and stay in Atlanta. I am just curious to see what the metal scene is like there before I make such a drastic move.

Ben

Hey, what's up man, i live in Athens, about 80 miles northeast of ATL and I figure that i can try to answer your question. Atl is not a big metal city, but it is not a non-metal city either. last year, Kreator came, and they are comming again halloween night. Dio, Hammerfall, and a Kings X had a show last november, and it was awsome. PP will probably stay here because of Glenn living in Rome, Georgia. Um, Soilwork and Inflames are playing here in a few weeks and so are some other bands in the future. But if you are looking for a huge metal city, Atlanta may disapoint you, but we do get our fair share of bands here. A couple of months ago, Opeth, Lacuna Coil and Yakuza came. that was a good show. As for original atlanta bands, there is this really good band called Lilitu that played with Opeth and LC and they were awsome. If you are into the Southern Rock/Stoner Rock scene at all, there is a really good band out of atlanta called Asphalt Blaster that is fronted by ex-Black Crowes bassist, Johnny Colt. I like them a lot and they frequent Atlanta. So, if you want to move to Atlanta, by all means do so, but take in the information above before you do. If it helps, Atlanta is a huge Rap city. But that can be easily ignored.

Hmmmm. Would you say that a band prospected to be in the vein of Pretty Maids meets Judas Priest could kick off in Atlanta? The problem with most, hell ALL, the people I meet that want to start a band well its all MALLCORE!!!! "Man, we're like really heavy shit like downtuned and stuff, and like man we go really crazy and stuff and its like music to break shit to man." So as you can tell bands that like that dont really fly too well with me. Seriously, a mixture of the lyrical content and hookiness of Pretty Maids with the keyboard textures that they use, combined with heavy (yet melodic!!!) traditional guitar work like Judas Priest. My glory band it will be. hahahahha

Ben

try Tampa, the metal scene is making a strong comeback.. Nasty Savage is recording their new album (actually they just have to mix the vocals, Ben Meyer played me the new album after our band played locally and it's AMAZING sounding!!!)

Path of Man will be one to watch (James Rivera's side project with the guitarist from Cannibal Corpse and I think someone from early Flotsam & Jetsam) .. got to see them after we played and they're damn good. I got to talk to James and he's very cool as well.

I actually hope that this is going to be the comeback of power-metal for Florida. The popularity is growing.

Suprisingly we actually don't have many "nu-metal" bands around anymore [[ waits for applause and cheers to die down ]] Tampa's scene is leaning back towards the good ole heavy days.

here's the premier metal bar in Tampa (more are coming every month it seems as well) www.brassmug.com

and for a laugh you can check out our band (humor-metal, influenced by MOD, SOD, Anthrax and a touch of Weird Al) www.ttops.net / www.mp3.com/tabletops

Daybreaker said:

Ben

Metalmilitia is right in the fact that Atlanta is mostly a rap city. The Masquerade and Nine Lives Saloon are about the only two venues who consistently have anything close to metal sounding music concerts. The more I get into the wider scene, the more I notice that, while the scene here isn't that big, we do have a smaller scene. I can't comment on other cities, because I've always hung out in more of the goth communities than the metal communities, so there's not much on comparison here either. We've got a couple good local bands, Lilitu (having been mentioned) and one I'd suggest checking out, if you can ever manage it, is ShockPlate. They've been doing small concerts around the area and recently headlined at the Masquerade. Given what I've heard out of small bands, I was impressed with this one. I'm not sure if they've got any MP3's out, so you'd have to look around.

Valhallen said:
I'll be heading to Atlanta tomorrow to catch Fates Warning/Dream Theater/Queensyche at the Tabernacle. For tommorrow night, that's Metal enough for me. Is anyone else attending this show?

I will be at that show. Look for me to be wandering the crowd before the doors open handing out flyers for a new Atlanta band called Brazen Angel. I'll have my PP3 or Fozzy shirt on. :D

As for the scene here (to add my two cents to the thread topic)... I would say that there is a much better rock scene than metal scene. We get a good number of shows, but some of the really good ones (see: Iron Maiden :cry: ) tend to skip over us. If you want an east coast town with a good local scene that also gets good shows, you'll want to move to the Washington DC area. I road trip up that way a good bit to see some good shows.

--Mike

We still should be in mourning for the two excellent friends of mine and great guitarists who died a month ago that were involved in the Atlanta music scene. Though not metal, THE WOGGLES and THE PENETRATORS,
Kicked ass.
They were damn good musicians.
R.I.P.

I've only lived here for a year, but there is little in the way of LOCAL metal. I have a band, but we're recording only righ tnow as the other main member is back in Louisville where I used to live. I have yet to seriosuly look for someone interested in drumming because im still buying up recording equipment and stuff for the next cd, but I'm not too optimistic. I was at Dream Theater/Queensryche though. It was packed, which says SOMETHING! Especially considering everyone there knew all the words to walk in the shadows etc. These are people who love metal. Where are they every other day of the year? Eh. Anyhow, im pissed as hell that Maiden will visit 5 towns in Texas but give noithing to ATL. BAH!!! My band also needs someone to fiddle and to play bagpipes. Bah, I think for now I am doomed to use synthetic instruments. I hate that.

Well, welcome to Atlanta...there is not much of a scene here at all. I never go out anymore unless there is a good national act coming thru.
Some of us on the board should get together once in a blue moon...it would be cool... I know Mike (Wishmaster) would be up for it.

Wandrail said:
I've only lived here for a year, but there is little in the way of LOCAL metal. I have a band, but we're recording only righ tnow as the other main member is back in Louisville where I used to live. I have yet to seriosuly look for someone interested in drumming because im still buying up recording equipment and stuff for the next cd, but I'm not too optimistic. I was at Dream Theater/Queensryche though. It was packed, which says SOMETHING! Especially considering everyone there knew all the words to walk in the shadows etc. These are people who love metal. Where are they every other day of the year? Eh. Anyhow, im pissed as hell that Maiden will visit 5 towns in Texas but give noithing to ATL. BAH!!! My band also needs someone to fiddle and to play bagpipes. Bah, I think for now I am doomed to use synthetic instruments. I hate that.

rottingflesh said:
Well, welcome to Atlanta...there is not much of a scene here at all. I never go out anymore unless there is a good national act coming thru.
Some of us on the board should get together once in a blue moon...it would be cool... I know Mike (Wishmaster) would be up for it.

So glad to see that you're doing ok.

I don't know any of you, but i'd sure as hell go. I have to say the progpower crowd has been one of the best to be around, and thats saying something compared to the rest of the types you get lumped in with when you listen to this music.

freakchylde said:
I would love to do that, too! Count me in.

Well, we should get a time to meet down in L5P or something or in a central area to where we all live. I am up for having a gathering at my place sometime in the near future.
Looks like that is 4 of us so far and I know a couple of more people as well.