Metal scene in Atlanta

Hey Dan.....sounds cool! Maybe we can get Enders Game on the bill too....we're available in January, so let me know what you come up with and we'll confirm with you....

Just finding the thread, better late than never... :)

Atlanta has a smallish metal scene for its size, but I think it's growing, albeit slowly. Judging from the phone calls we get at WREKage, it does seem like there's been an increase. We're also trying to list metal shows on the website as a resource.

Better to blame Clear Channel, maybe, than Iron Maiden, for that tour not coming here. Heck, maybe it -was- Maiden's fault; I don't know how much they were asking for their guarantee. (Incidentally, I'm not blaming Atlanta venues for the Cradle of Filth tour not playing here; they were asking too much.)

I can't go to the Soilwork etc. show tomorrow night, but I should be at this Saturday's show with Shadow's Fall, Killswitch Engage, etc. Hope to see some of y'all there..... It was cool to see such a great turnout at the Dimmu/CoB/Hypocrisy/Nevermore show last week, too!

Well, CoF did end up playing here (Ozzfest). Not the best of venues, but I was impressed with the second this time around. Very rarely does Ozzfest impress me with their concept of metal on that stage.

~note: it was not CoF that impressed me on the second stage :)

freakchylde said:
Well, CoF did end up playing here (Ozzfest). Not the best of venues, but I was impressed with the second this time around. Very rarely does Ozzfest impress me with their concept of metal on that stage.

~note: it was not CoF that impressed me on the second stage :)
Ozzfest is a bit different, of course, than CoF's tour with Type O Negative.

CoF were great on the second stage, but I also liked Killswitch Engage and what I saw from Twisted Method. (I got there at around 2pm and left during Manson's set -- I'm happy I had a comp. ticket, whew. The day starts wayy tooo early at OzzFest.)

I left just before manson's act, glad i got there early, though there were heat issues for me. the second stage was much better than the main stage selection. as for the type o tour, i'm not in to either bands, so i still would have missed it ;)

For the first time since 2002, and even longer for an extreme-metal show (if ever it did), the Masquerade sold out for a metal show....last night for God Forbid/Shadow's Fall/Killswitch Engage/Lamb of God -- and they turned away about 200 people.

Even though it was the MTV2 Headbangers Ball tour, you have to wonder, maybe the times, they are a-changin'.

Pellaz said:
For the first time since 2002, and even longer for an extreme-metal show (if ever it did), the Masquerade sold out for a metal show....last night for God Forbid/Shadow's Fall/Killswitch Engage/Lamb of God -- and they turned away about 200 people.

Even though it was the MTV2 Headbangers Ball tour, you have to wonder, maybe the times, they are a-changin'.
not to take away from this momentous occasion, and granted it still wins for an extreme metal show, and this is awesome news, but didn't the Type O Negative/Lacuna Coil show just a few months ago sell out? (It certainly FELT sold out, and i think that my roommate got turned away when he showed up late)

I certainly hope the times are changing, and with all the good metal bands kicking around atlanta nowadays (Burial Rites, Daath, Ender's Game, Halcyon Way, Lilitu, Manic, etc...) maybe, just MAYBE we're a real live metal city now?

Ryan

Se7enChurches said:
not to take away from this momentous occasion, and granted it still wins for an extreme metal show, and this is awesome news, but didn't the Type O Negative/Lacuna Coil show just a few months ago sell out? (It certainly FELT sold out, and i think that my roommate got turned away when he showed up late)

I certainly hope the times are changing, and with all the good metal bands kicking around atlanta nowadays (Burial Rites, Daath, Ender's Game, Halcyon Way, Lilitu, Manic, etc...) maybe, just MAYBE we're a real live metal city now?

Ryan

Yes, the Type O show was sold out also. What was the 2002 show you were referring to, Paul?

At the show Lamb of God Saturday, a TON of people left after Killswitch Engage (only Lamb of God was left to play). I wasn't expecting that, but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I figured Killswitch Engage being on Roadrunner would encourage the mallrats that subscribe to that label to check out other heavier bands, but I guess not.

ratanda said:
Yes, the Type O show was sold out also. What was the 2002 show you were referring to, Paul?

At the show Lamb of God Saturday, a TON of people left after Killswitch Engage (only Lamb of God was left to play). I wasn't expecting that, but I guess I shouldn't have been surprised. I figured Killswitch Engage being on Roadrunner would encourage the mallrats that subscribe to that label to check out other heavier bands, but I guess not.

i'm actually sorry i missed the show, those were the two bands i wanted to see again. :p

as for the mallrats, if they can't get it there, they probably won't go anywhere near other bands. they prefer to be spoon-fed :p

however, it has been nice to have several concerts to pick from, of late. i wish my monetary situation would have provided my ability to go this last week.

ratanda said:
GWAR in 2002 sold out. My roommate Tim Hurd wasn't counting the Type O show because he doesn't consider them to be that "heavy" of a metal band.

ratanda said:
Yea, a shame, too. Lamb of God aren't a huge personal fave, but they're a decent band and put on a good show.

It was a great show overall, too! Unbeknownst to many upstairs, some bands also played downstairs in Hell and were pretty good: Manic, from Atl. and Severe, from Alabama. (I missed Prime Mover's set downstairs.)

Brian from Shadow's Fall is happier now... Knowing he's a big fan, I tossed him a copy of Ozric Tentacles' Live at the Pongmaster's Ball 2-cd live set. :)

ratanda said:
There's a black metal show at the Masquerade this Saturday Dec 13th

Demoncy - http://www.infernalhorde.com/demoncy
Crimson Massacre (from Texas) - http://www.crimsonmassacre.tk
Blood Stained Dusk - http://www.angelfire.com/zine/jackalblaster/bloodstainedduskreview.html
Lament Configuration

Doors 7pm
$5.00 Advance
in Purgatory
Crud, if I hadn't been reallly tired (little sleep, advance movie screening early on Sat. morning) and knew about it, I coulda gone to that show. The only show I knew about last night at the Masq. was Nonpoint et al. upstairs.

The Christmas doldrums are fast approaching. :(

Hey all, this just announced! We'll be opening for Helloween on January the 20th at the Masquerade. We're supposed to be going on just before they do, and there's supposed to be another local band before us from what Steve told me.

We've gotta sell a bunch of tickets, so now's the time to support your local metal! Email me at halcyonwayband@aol.com and I'll hook you up. They're going for $20 advance + "convenience rape fee" at Ticketmaster, and they'll be about $25 at the door...but we're going to give you a break and sell them for our cost, which should be about $17 or $18. We'll leave them at will call for you or mail them, whichever you like.

As soon as we can get the website updated we'll have it set up to do paypal like we did with SYL, but for now shoot me an email....

Later on!

Jon Bodan
Halcyon Way
www.halcyonway.com