Metal scene in Atlanta

Q: Why Atlanta? That's not a “metal city.”
A: It's the perfect centralized location for domestic and international travel. It also helps that I live near there.
That was taken from the ProgPower IV Faq. I knew I remembered seeing that somewhere.

James:

The Free metal show was us, Lilitu, Take as Needed, and Enders Game at the Masquerade. And I can assure you that there are some great bands here in atlanta. The local scene is what sucks here, no one wants to support the bands here. Even the good ones! I can say this because I experience it first hand, as I am in a band that promotes our shows; so when distributing flyer etc about the shows, people just look at you like you are crazy. People only come out to National Acts.

Also, the general perception is that if a band is not on a label, then they are shit. We get this all of the time until someone actually takes the time to download or purchase the album. Most of the people that you see at National Acts are not even from Atlanta; mostly from the surrounding states. When we opened up the Opeth show back in May, people were suprised that we were from Atlanta, saying that they never heard of us, it's amazing how many people live under rocks!

Anyway, I think that Glen moving ProgPower would be a bad idea since it's associated with Atlanta now. Plus, moving it out to the sticks would suck. The area that you guys are referring to is terrible. At least Earthlink is a great venue, you wan't find that in Spartanbug! Plus, it's not like this festival is not pulling people.

You can download a new track from our upcoming release at our site, on the home page, so you can hear a local band worth checking out, and maybe next time we can have 31 peeps at the next show!

Cheers,

"JP"

www.lilitu.ws

JP,

Thanks for the info; I have seen your band favorably referenced here (along with Ender's Game) several times, so it sounds like you guys are definitely doing something right. As I peruse your website, it looks like you've gotten some very nice praise from the press, as well.

Sorry to see that Georgia ranks among the "dislikes" on your profile, though.

Anyway, continued success with the band; I hope to catch one of your shows sometime soon.

Jim LotFP said:
Atlanta really does not have a store like that, and there are a lot more bands that play out more around that area if my email spam is any indication.

wax and facts is really good about getting anything that's requested (ask victoria, she's wonderful at this). they may not carry much, but they have no issue with getting anything a customer wants.

freakchylde: Jim does not have a problem with getting CD's. He's more or less stating, that if a city has a record shop of that caliber, than most of the time, it has the clientel for it, unlike Atlanta.

James: Thanks, check out the MP3 if you have not already. We are playing a show in November, and hopefully a few before then. Check the site for updates.

"JP"

www.lilitu.ws

Aethyr said:
What show is on Nov. 1st? I was thinking about seeing Kreator, etc. on Oct. 31st so if the 11/1 show isn't too expensive I'd probably go to that one too.

I didn't see anyone else answer this, so i will. Apparently the show is at Breaker's (don't know exactly where that is) and is Lilitu, Signs of Dying, and Burial Rites. No idea how much it will cost, but almost undoubtedly less than the Kreator show the night before.

Ryan

ruinandmisery said:
freakchylde: Jim does not have a problem with getting CD's. He's more or less stating, that if a city has a record shop of that caliber, than most of the time, it has the clientel for it, unlike Atlanta.

i know he doesn't have trouble getting cd's *grin* my response was in response to what he's said, for other people in atlanta who might have been reading his post. i know we don't have stores that regularly stock cds of interest, however, there are places where requests can be put in for special orders that don't revolve around using the larger stores (e.g. borders/barnes and noble).

i would definitely love to have a store around here that would cater more towards my tastes, that way i'm not stuck wandering around on recommendations, instead i can go in and look around. i had a store like that in IL, the guys there were awesome and more than happy to point me to stuff i'd like, with at least one copy in stock.

Thanks for responding Ryan, I didn't even see the question :)

Breakers is in Jonesboro, in the south side. Cover is $5. I *think* $7 if you're under 21. Email me for directions or I can post them here or on our website shortly.

Good sources to find out about Atlanta shows:
metal - http://pub27.ezboard.com/fatlantametalfrm12
metal and everything else - http://www.atlantashows.org

Other upcoming local shows that I know of (and yes my band is in a lot of them, but that's just because I happen to know when my band is playing! :)):

Sept 16 (Tonight!)
Swayzes - Structure of Lies (from AZ, did a split with Misery Index), Signs of Dying, The Soul's Unrest, Kshatriya, 7pm http://www.swayzesvenue.com

Sept 21 (This Sunday!)
Masquerade (Hell stage) - Burial Rites w ???, doors 6pm, $8

Oct 4 (Sat)
Breakers - Ender's Game, Burial Rites, The Blue Druids, 9:30-ish, $5-$7

Oct 24 (Fri)
The Revolution - The Soul's Unrest, Signs of Dying, Withered (A new local black metal band who I hear is really good), Escape The Crash, 7:30, $5 http://www.vivalarevolution.org/

Nov 1 (Sat)
Breakers - Signs of Dying, Lilitu, Burial Rites, 9:30-ish, $5-$7

But Orlando FL's scene is pretty cool. It runs the gammut from Power Metal (shameless plug for Ezra Stone!) to really good death metal (5 Billion Dead) and everything in between.

If anyone is in the Orlando area this weekend let me know and I'll drop you a line as to how to find our gig!

EZSTfoto.jpg

freakchylde - I have no doubt that Atlanta will soon have a store like that soon. It's still a growing city, not yet comparible to New York or Chicago. If we just hang in there we'll get the metal scene we want. :)

Aethyr said:
freakchylde - I have no doubt that Atlanta will soon have a store like that soon. It's still a growing city, not yet comparible to New York or Chicago. If we just hang in there we'll get the metal scene we want. :)

oh, i don't doubt that. and actually, i wasn't in chicago, i was in bloomington-normal, of all places, where they had the awesome music store. :)

Yeah, I second that doubt. There's just not enough people to cater to. The store would go under most likely. It's just a hard scene here as far as heavier music. I just order all of my CD's online, it's easier that way, and cheaper. But, It would be nice to walk into a music store and be able to pick up a new release while you were out.

"JP"

www.lilitu.ws

there was a small store here in marietta that had a small metal section that i used to frequent, but they went under.... i was bummed.

prime example. It will never happen. Tower is the closest thing that we have to a decent music store. I remember when I was in Paris, the Virgin Music Store was awesome, too bad we do not have one here in ATL. There's one in Orlando that had everything!

"JP"

www.lilitu.ws

rottingflesh said:
there was a small store here in marietta that had a small metal section that i used to frequent, but they went under.... i was bummed.

It wasn't that place near Mars Music was it? next to a Blockbuster?

ruinandmisery said:
prime example. It will never happen. Tower is the closest thing that we have to a decent music store. I remember when I was in Paris, the Virgin Music Store was awesome, too bad we do not have one here in ATL. There's one in Orlando that had everything!

"JP"

www.lilitu.ws

*runs screaming* corporate record stores!!!!!!

though, seriously, it would be nice to have a decent record store that was privately owned and operated. i've found that most of those stores around atlanta know more of what they're talking about than some of the bigger, chain stores. but hey, maybe i'm just asking the wrong people about the wrong type of music. who knows.

ruinandmisery said:
Yeah, I second that doubt. There's just not enough people to cater to. The store would go under most likely. It's just a hard scene here as far as heavier music. I just order all of my CD's online, it's easier that way, and cheaper. But, It would be nice to walk into a music store and be able to pick up a new release while you were out.

"JP"

www.lilitu.ws

We were saying we had NO doubt...