Anyone able to cleverly solve this apTrigga issue?

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Can anyone think of a clever way involving gates or filters or anything that will allow me to use apTrigga to trigger random samples at different velocity levels? Currently apTrigga forces me to choose one or the other, either random multisamples at one velocity or one sample per velocity level triggered dynamically...

Can anyone think of a way where I could duplicate the snare track to like 4 tracks each with it's own instance of apTrigga that only look at the signal in a certain velocity range? So the track that's supposed to catch the quiet hits ignores the loud hits for example? I just need a clever way of setting an upper threshold that cuts out anything louder than that threshold....

One solution I did think of was to duplicate the track for each layer I wanted, run one instance of apTrigga set to dynamic mode but load blank samples into the dynamic ranges that I don't want to use and then load any percussive sound into the one layer that I DO want to trigger, then run another instance of apTrigga after that one set to random mode and load in the multisamples for that layer... It'll definitely work but it seems excessive, especially with the wasteful CPU hogging that would occur from having so many instances running where 90% of them are triggering blank samples all the time...

well seeing as you're using reaper, there is a fix i'm working on
i'll have it sorted in a while

EDIT: this is becoming a real brain twister..........i know it's possible it's just a nightmare making it work :heh:

How many different velocity levels would be enough?

I'm half way through making a reaper fx chain using native plugs that splits the audio to different channels depending on how loud it is. It works great for 2 different levels, but it gets exponentially larger and tricker as more get added

no problem!

It really had my brain tied in knots, in the end i had to draw it out on paper! All that routing in reaper can be used to great effect though

originally i had it set out as different tracks, which was easier to get my head around, but ultimately messy and space consuming. Condensing it down to one track took ages

hope it helps you!

that seems really really clever, I can't test it right now but I will, just to see how you managed to use the possibilities of reaplugs. They're really powerful when used the good way! Like maths functions, and you did it well!

actually aptrigga just does what you're asking.
I guess you didn't read the manual lol
You don't need to create 4 tracks and put 4 aptrigga to trigger different "velocities"

But it can't do random AND dynamic can it? i.e. thats where another few hundred pounds have to be forked out for drumagog

am i right?

actually aptrigga just does what you're asking.
I guess you didn't read the manual lol
You don't need to create 4 tracks and put 4 aptrigga to trigger different "velocities"

No it doesn't. I can't load 5 different hard samples, 5 medium samples and 5 soft samples and have it randomly select a sample per velocity. I'm not illiterate and I'm not an idiot. apTrigga does dynamic replacement yeah, but only ONE sample per dynamic level which results in unrealistic sounding garbage. It also does random replacement, but if I load a hard, medium and soft sample it will randomly select between all of them without any care as to the velocity of the incoming signal.

With skeksis' workaround, I can now load apTrigga on each of those tracks, set it to random mode and load in the samples for each velocity and actually get realistic sounding velocity sensitive sample replaced tracks ala using a GOG file in Drumagog.

This is why Drumagog is better for full replacement, IMO. apTrigga is tighter and waaaay cheaper, but I really only use it on kick, because of this dynamics issue.

Yeah agreed :erk: Sucks because I love apTrigga... It's not a HUGE issue for me because the idea is still to use Drumtracker to convert the hits to midi and then trigger from the Slate VSTi anyways, but I wanted to be able to record with just triggers on the drums and no mics and still be able to listen back to what was recorded with a sounds reasonably close to what it was going to end up like afterwards... Clearly I'm not gonna use Drumtracker and convert every take to midi to listen back before recording the next one... Ah fuck. Maybe I'll just load up hard hits only in random mode in apTrigga but just turn the level modulation up far enough that it's still playing back the dynamics reasonably accurately until I go on to full replacement with the VSTi later...