Anyone else digging Erik Rutan's newest productions?

CJWall

Oct 21, 2005
Southwest Florida, USA
Most recently his work with Cannibal Corpse as well as the CD he did with Into the Moat (sounds killer IMO) and his newest with Hate Eternal; I, Monarch.

Yeah, he uses basically the same drum samples for all three of these CD's (of which I'd love to get my hands on) and they aren't without their flaws, but generally I really like the vibe and overall sound of his latest productions. They seem to have this really big, saturated sound to them and are rather smooth.

anyone else kind of dig his sound?

Charlie

Way better then what he did with hate eternal's "king of all kings".. allthough that disc is brutal, i think the stuff he produces now is way better.. Canibal corpse's "kill" is the best example and it sounds great to me!

I dig his stuff. A little bit raw and a touch of polish. Very good stuff.

Torture Killer's new album 'Swarm' is mixed and mastered by Erik. It sounds very good. The music is tracked in Finland except for Chris Barnes' vocals, which are obviously tracked in the States by Erik.

You should check that band out if you haven't already. Kicks SFU's ass any given day.

I'm loving the new Cannibal Corpse, song and production wise. As mentioned by CJ Wall it is very smooth and powerful sounding. There is some seriously powerful bottom end going on in the mix too which I like. I can hearing it clipping now and again though.

i think the new corpse is rather lame...not even close to bloodthirst (my alltime DM fave)
the new kataklysm kicks it all over the place both song and production wise...imho

Rutan's work on I, Monarch was pretty sick, but I'm not a big fan of the new Corpse's sound. I much prefer the production that our very own Neil Kernon gave em.

I like his production of I,Monarch.
Would be cool if Erik Rutan produced a Morbid Angel album.

My English sucks at the moment, I know, but I played a show 20 minutes ago and my alarmer will ring in 6 hours...

StefTD said:
Would be cool if Erik Rutan produced a Morbid Angel album.

That would be a huge improvement over Heretic, that's for sure. I'd actually most like to hear Jens Borgen work with them, that'd be interesting.

The production on Kill is monster heavy, i was really suprised when i first heard it, i expected the worst after the production on king of all kings(sorry Eric great music, but the production could have been alot better on that album)
As far as Cannibal goes they have had awsome productions ever since Gallery of suicide and they have worked with some of the best producers for this type of music(Scott Burns,Colin Richardson and Neil Kernon )all did an amazing job, but with Eric Rutan they have found a guy who can take their music(brutality)one step further.
Everyone who like extreme death metal should buy this album now:headbang:

I've gotta be totally honest, while I have the utmost respect for Mr. Rutan, I'm not digging his productions that much. They are great in alot of ways, but I almost feel like the clarity and the definition of everything is sacrificed for one big lump of hugeness. I guess that is the "smoothness" that everybody talks about. The new Corpse album for example, it's huge and powerful overall, but at times it's like one big mash of noise. As far as Corpse is concerned I much prefered the production on Bloodthirst. I like the clarity and crispness of everything. Yeah, it's just an issue of taste, and I certainly can't fault him for it....I couldn't do it better or anything. :)

"As far as Corpse is concerned I much prefered the production on Bloodthirst."
best death metal production ever imho. i LOVE this album

"As far as Cannibal goes they have had awsome productions ever since Gallery of suicide and they have worked with some of the best producers for this type of music(Scott Burns,Colin Richardson and Neil Kernon )all did an amazing job, but with Eric Rutan they have found a guy who can take their music(brutality)one step further."
gore obsessed sounds like crap when put up against either the wretched or bloodthirst. gallery sounds honky imho. (still way better than their earlier records). as for the wretched vs bloodthirst imho bloodthirst is *slightly* better, it's crispier imho although the low end punch is missing in contrast to the wretched.
as for kill, the guitar sound is ok, once again not even close to bloodthirst but a really good 2nd place. however, the album seems to be slightly too loud, there's quite a lot of clipping going on at times, very noticable e.g. at the beginning of death walking terror.

Definitely man, Bloodthirst is a killlllller sounding album. I did notice the clipping on "Kill" which bugs me more than the album title itself. For a clearer instance of Rutan's work, check out Into the Moat's CD "The Design". 95% same drum sound but the production overall is clearer; I definitely prefer this "sound" over "Kill".

Charlie

Bloodthirst and The Bleeding are CC's best, with Bloodthirst taking the cake for production. Rutan is ok and all, but it seems almost like he's trying to mimic the NK stuff. For most people, it takes years and years to actually become really good in the studio. Rutan has only been doing this for a little while. I think that engineers/producers should find their own sound and take it from there. When people start saying that all records sound alike, this is a prime example of what they're talking about.

If we were still in the good 'ol days of 2'', I seriously doubt if Rutan would be making records.