Anyone else digging Erik Rutan's newest productions?

Fragle said:
gore obsessed sounds like crap when put up against either the wretched or bloodthirst. gallery sounds honky imho. (still way better than their earlier records). as for the wretched vs bloodthirst imho bloodthirst is *slightly* better, it's crispier imho although the low end punch is missing in contrast to the wretched...

While we're on the subject...where is the kick drum on Gore Obsessed? That always really bugged me considering it is an album that I would otherwise love. I could be convinced that it was not even involved on some of those songs. :p

metalkingdom said:
Bloodthirst and The Bleeding are CC's best, with Bloodthirst taking the cake for production. Rutan is ok and all, but it seems almost like he's trying to mimic the NK stuff. For most people, it takes years and years to actually become really good in the studio. Rutan has only been doing this for a little while. I think that engineers/producers should find their own sound and take it from there. When people start saying that all records sound alike, this is a prime example of what they're talking about.

If we were still in the good 'ol days of 2'', I seriously doubt if Rutan would be making records.
no comment about any of those records, i'm just not familiar enough with them, but Rutan does use a 2".. i believe he bought one of Morrisound's old Otari MTR-90's a few years back.

James Murphy said:
no comment about any of those records, i'm just not familiar enough with them, but Rutan does use a 2".. i believe he bought one of Morrisound's old Otari MTR-90's a few years back.

Yeah he told me it was the one they used for recording the early records for bands like Deicide , Obituary and Suffocation and probbably everything else that was recorded at Morrisound at that time.:worship:

James Murphy said:

Yeah, I remember reading that somewhere. MTR-90 = poor man's Studer. Good machine. It doesn't sound like he's using it on his latest productions, though.

I'm surprised that you don't listen to CC!!! I know that you know good guitar stuff when you hear it, but you can't miss the first three songs on Bloodthirst. They truly kick major ass.

Erik Rutan and Ted Nugent - Seperated at birth:

vegas_feb42001_rutanlive1.jpg

g_ted_nugent.jpg

I should clarify something - I actually haven't heard some of his newest productions, and to be fair, I should check them out. I haven't liked his production on anything I've heard in the past. Hopefully he's improved!

cornerarea said:
Torture Killer's new album 'Swarm' is mixed and mastered by Erik. It sounds very good. The music is tracked in Finland except for Chris Barnes' vocals, which are obviously tracked in the States by Erik.

Actually the vocals were recorded by Chris Carroll at the Hit Factory, Miami. The album was mastered by Alan Douches.

I actually like Gore Obsessed a lot. A little more low end would be great, but otherwise, the sound kills! Very crisp and raw. Great guitars.
Pit of Zombies and Compelled to Lacerate are some of the heaviest songs ever recorded.

CJWall said:
Yeah, he uses basically the same drum samples for all three of these CD's (of which I'd love to get my hands on)

I have no idea...but I didn't think there was any drum sampling on I Monarch except the kick?

Still need to get Kill though, what i've heard sounds awesome.

I don't have much of a problem with the the production on King Of All Kings. The music's so intense and there's so much going on I find it hard to get a really good feel for the sounds...
Awesome album tho

t_m_h said:
I actually like Gore Obsessed a lot. A little more low end would be great, but otherwise, the sound kills! Very crisp and raw. Great guitars.
Pit of Zombies and Compelled to Lacerate are some of the heaviest songs ever recorded.

It's all about Dormant Bodies Bursting!!!!! That song builds up so well. Also, one of the grooves in Compelled to Lacerate is awesome