anyone else in here who just "likes" Opeth?

I've only known Opeth for a year or so.. and they're certainly my number one group at the time.. just because there is no point further than that..

tenebrose r u serious about that. ten bands better than opeth. it sounds unbelivable.plesa write some of those bands over here and let us know...
share this treasure with us...

freak over here...
:cool:

subjectivity is the keyword here. I prefer a lot of bands over Opeth for several reasons that may not be related at all with musicianship. as for now, I like these bands better:

Moonspell
Anathema
Radiohead
Autumn Tears
Ulver
In the Woods...
Dream Theater
Lacrimosa
Pink Floyd
Placebo
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Björk
Blind Guardian
Diamanda Galas
Les Luthiers
Solefad
Theatre of Tragedy
Tristania
The 3rd and the Mortal

Claire's horror
i have great respect to anyone's thoughts about music coz musc is so global and so personal.
and also you are right; being objective is too hard, especially to a group you like.
But here's my thougths.Ý'm not a great fan of opeth coz i have been listening them for only one year but i know half of the groups you said and i think that some of them can make an album with the melodies of a song in any album of opeth...
i believe that opeth is so special coz i cannot find any similar group or any similar melodies to them. i cannot categorize their music....
your list have both hardrock, rock, heavy but come on do you really think that placebo is better than opeth?i dont know them well but i'm sure tahat i can choose only one song from opeth against to all their albums..

this is my feelings my friend..

Placebo plays a kind of simple but unique alternative rock with quite a lot of influences, from David Bowie to King Crimson to Faith No More. I find them pretty creative, though of Molko's peculiar vocals and their simplistic song structures at times, but still their sound doesn't fit a category (that's why it is labeled as "alternative rock") and their themes can get pretty emotional. I think of it as a great band.

and again, Opeth and Placebo cannot be compared by any means. both are arty, but it's like trying to say "apples taste better than bananas." they're two different sounds, and I indentify myself more with Placebo.

i really understood you.but it sounds weird to me. placebo is only just an example.
for example i really like radiohead. they are really different.bein' popular and bein' different and doing original things is really hard and they don't care about anything.they do their music.. like the metal bands... but i think opeth cannot be compared to any group...
anyways.. as you said being objective is really hard..but this is my truth.. opeth is the one of the greatest and maybe the best...

opeth's da best in my eyes. the music is so dynamic and original, the songs are long and progressive, the lyrics are deep and poetic, and i still haven't found a vocalist who can growl any better than akerfeldt. no other band has connected with me in the way opeth has. if people haven't had the same experience, with opeth, thats alright, i just hope they have a band that means as much to them as opeth does to me.

My musical obsessions are more along the lines of Chuck Schuldiner and Jeff Loomis' works.

Let's all bow our heads and pay our respects to Chuck Schuldiner, the master of Death, for when I found out about his untimely demise, my heart broke and I cried and cried....

Alright, because everyone here has proven to have great taste in music (despite some occasional lapses, see the Staind thread),

That was a low blow, cheap shots suck! I still love Staind! :lol: :lol:

hey all you "casual" opeth fans... Ever tried listening through Moringrise with all the lights off at 2 AM when you are kinda sleepy? FUCK MAN i was a casual opeth fan until that little incident.... FUCKED ME RIGHT UP!!! NOW I AM AN OBSESSED FREAK!! Seriously... try it :)