Anyone else think that Carcass .....

I suppose it depends what you mean by "better".
They were a "better" grind band without him, and became a "better" death metal band with him.
When he left they got "better" at rock-ish music.

It's all a matter of opinion :)

patchie said:
I suppose it depends what you mean by "better".
They were a "better" grind band without him, and became a "better" death metal band with him.
When he left they got "better" at rock-ish music.

It's all a matter of opinion :)

Agreed. They were excellent before and after he joined. Symphonies and Necroticism are my favourite albums and he joined inbetween them.
I think Bill Steer was the main force behind Carcass and Mike Amott just gave them a little more variation.

Assuming that they would have continued on their grind-->death-->deathrock transformation with or without ammott, then yes i do believe he made them a better band. In other words, I think necroticism and heartwork would not have been nearly as good, and swansong would have been much better...

I think when Michael joined, the inspiration and music got better ...
Heartwork is espically one of the greatest death metal albums till now

BattleThrone said:
I think when Michael joined, the inspiration and music got better ...
Heartwork is espically one of the greatest death metal albums till now
This is the third time I've tried to post this so it better fucking work.
I definitely agree with you.
Personally I think that Bill is possibly a better guitarist in a technical sense, but then Amott is pretty good too, though his solos are not as fast. Having said that they do contain a bit more emotion and melody. Like, with Arch Enemy its mainly Chris that plays the sort of 'shred' solos whereas Mike likes the slower and more heart felt ones (thats not to say that Chris doesn't put a lot of emotion into his). Ah to hell with it, I suppose both put a lot of emotion into their music, but I feel that Mike is perhaps just slightly better in terms of writing songs.

It seems to me that what Mike brought to the band was a greater sense of melody and better song writing. He didn't make Carcass a better band, but focused them and made them tighter as a unit. He helped them to write better music is what I'll say.

Ultimately this is obviously just my opinion, so please don't take it too seriously or whatever.