Anyone got any obscure prog metal recommendations?

I don't know if you're mainly into the standard Dream Theater/Symphony X style prog metal, or if you like other death/black metal influenced stuff, but i'd also recommend:

Theory in Practice
Scarve
Lux Occulta
Woods of Ypres

Theory In Practice is some intense hardcore proggy goodness!! :kickass:

Mark, good to see you here. It's been a while!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you haven't listened to Lemur Voice then I highly recommend it if you can still find their CD's!

Check out a new band I just heard via Prog Palace radio......Cloakwheel. Good stuff!! If anyone wants new Prog metal to check out I recommend listening to Prog Palace. I found numerous great bands that way :headbang:

Thanks Andy, I hope you are keeping well? I will definately check out those bands you mentioned.

So I feel the genres really starting to stagnate lately, and didn't enjoy much of anything last year outside of Mystica and Suspyre.

Anyone have any obscure but must hear prog metal discs to recommend me? Check my last.fm and RYM for what I'm into, I'm looking for older stuff that really flew under the radar like Payne's Gray, Clockwork, Dali's Dilemma, etc... descriptions of the band would be much appreciated! :kickass:

Thanks bros!

Ever heard the band Lord Bane? They put out a single disc "Age of Elegance" in 1994... then pretty much broke up. I personally think the disc is pretty killer, just suffers from crappy production. Their disc is long out of print, and pretty damn difficult to find! (props to Den up at Sentinel Steel for my find!)

From a reviewer (to give you an idea):
"The music on Age of Elegance is what I would catagorize as old school progressive metal which means that some of the most obvious influences are bands like Fates Warning ( Awaken the Guardian, No Exit) and Queensrÿche ( Rage For Order, Operation: Mindcrime). I also think that I can hear a bit of Savatage here and there."

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=19712

If anyone wants to check out some of this disc, let me know.

mëtålspëd;8121552 said:
Ever heard the band Lord Bane? They put out a single disc "Age of Elegance" in 1994... then pretty much broke up. I personally think the disc is pretty killer, just suffers from crappy production. Their disc is long out of print, and pretty damn difficult to find! (props to Den up at Sentinel Steel for my find!)

From a reviewer (to give you an idea):
"The music on Age of Elegance is what I would catagorize as old school progressive metal which means that some of the most obvious influences are bands like Fates Warning ( Awaken the Guardian, No Exit) and Queensrÿche ( Rage For Order, Operation: Mindcrime). I also think that I can hear a bit of Savatage here and there."

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=19712

If anyone wants to check out some of this disc, let me know.

Ahhhh, prog metal just doesn't get much better than this album. I remember hearing the demo tape back in the day and talking to the guy from Nordic Metal (the label that ended up signing them) - we both agreed this band was awesome and he needed to sign them. So ... 15 years later and the disc still rules my world. (not to mention that I worked as manager for Shawn when he tried to do his comeback a few years ago - but that's another story) ....

c.

Ahhhh, prog metal just doesn't get much better than this album. I remember hearing the demo tape back in the day and talking to the guy from Nordic Metal (the label that ended up signing them) - we both agreed this band was awesome and he needed to sign them. So ... 15 years later and the disc still rules my world. (not to mention that I worked as manager for Shawn when he tried to do his comeback a few years ago - but that's another story) ....

c.

:headbang: . I actually have one of the Nordic copies, and not the US print. It is one of the few discs in my collection, that I cannot get enough of. When a song off this particular disc comes across my winamp, I always have to turn random off... and go start to finish on it.

mëtålspëd;8121720 said:
:headbang: . I actually have one of the Nordic copies, and not the US print. It is one of the few discs in my collection, that I cannot get enough of. When a song off this particular disc comes across my winamp, I always have to turn random off... and go start to finish on it.

There actually wasn't any official US prints. Nordic Metal had the worldwide rights. A few years ago (well, 5 or 6) Shawn and I tried to get a remix of it done, but we never got to finish it and find a label for it. I have the remixes and they sound WAY better than the album original did (horrible drum sound and very muddy overall). The Morpheous project that Shawn started was just as awesome as Lord Bane, but a bit different and even more epic.

c.

Oh, thought I read somewhere that there was a second party doing some us disty... guess not. Morpheous was one that I have wanted to hunt down, just a lack of motivation on my part I suppose.

Okay, here's my list of "obscure forgotten classics" in prog metal - I might be forgetting some right now, but this is a quick run down of the more important ones in my collection:

Australia:
Vauxdvhil (their "To Dimension Logic" is a progressive album in the true sense of the word - it doesn't sound like anyone else - epic PROG metal)

Austria:
Nothingfaith ("Sigiriya" is one of those obscure albums not many have heard of. It's a quirky kind of prog metal that takes parts from both the Fates Warning (Arch-era), Mekong Delta (the classic/orchestral parts) and Dream Theater (the prog metal flow) - loves it!)

Denmark:
Behind The Curtain (imagine Psychotic Waltz teaming up with Symphony X to create a Dream Theater styled album)
Carisma (a band who didn't know what they were doing - the guys in the band never viewed this as a metal or prog album at all, but it's a fantastic concept album that should appeal to all who likes great melodies)
Chrome Shift (Dream Theater light with some clear hard rock melodies - wonderful album)
Eidetic (if you can find the demo's you're in for a real treat. Totally obscure Danish band creating music somewhere between Fates Warning and Alice In Chains)

France:
Manigance (someone already mentioned this, so I'll just add that you NEED to try it, even if the lyrics are in French)

Germany:
Deathrow ("Deception Ignored" is a classic thrash meets prog metal album - might be an aquired taste)
Depressive Age (East German goth meets power meets prog metal - imagine Type O Negative doing prog :))
End Amen (side project with people from Deathrow and Psychotic Waltz - very original but also not an easy album to "get into")
Koyaanisqatsi (soundscore prog metal - instrumental stuff - one of the most fantastic albums that never got released)
Life's Artist (the entire band - except the vocalist - later on became the backing band for Buddy Lackey's first solo album - thrashy prog/power with a unique songwriting approach. I know a lot of people hate this disc - I love it)
Mekong Delta (CLASSIC!!! 'nuff said)
Payne's Gray (mentioned above by someone else - check it out, crazy mix of prog, power, jazz and whatever else can be thrown together)
Sunblaze ("Illuminating Heights" is a true classic mini/EP - prog metal with big orchestrations)

Greece:
Breaking Silence (Fates Warning styled prog metal)

Holland:
Elegy (perhaps not "obscure" but their first 2 discs are some of my favorite melodic prog metal albums ever)

Israel:
Mercenary (another of those albums that never got released - what a shame - with a good production and a proper release this could have gone far. Good to see Eden (the keyboardist) later on show up on Orphaned Land)

Italy:

Madsword (Dream Theater styled prog metal)
Time Machine ("Act II Galileo" will always remain as one of my favorite CDs. Epic prog metal with a ton of wonderful melodies)

Norway:
Manitou (Fates Warning worship!!! Oyvind (later in Spiral Architect) is a brilliant vocalist)
Trivial Act (Dream Theater meets Fates Warning - great stuff)

Sweden:
Abstract Algebra (progressive doom metal with Mats Leven delivering one of the best vocal performances on any album ever!)
Elsesphere (another little gem - I worked really hard on making these guys a success, but a horrible label situation just took the fun out of it for all of us - that said, this album ROCKS!)
Hexenhaus (thrashy prog with a hint of doom here and there)
Mayadome (classic Dream Theater style, done better than on most DT albums)
Veni Domine (progressive doom metal! Candlemass meets Queensryche and Fates Warning)

UK:
Quest, the (Queensryche style prog)
Siam (melodic prog metal with a bit of Queensryche style here and there, but also a good deal of hard rock influences. Tony Mills is a fantastic vocalist)

USA:
Arch, John (ex-Fates Warning vocalist delivers a great prog metal EP ... I want more than just these 2 songs ... please?)
Black Symphony, the (first 2 albums are CLASSICS!!! Ask Glenn for a description and he'll be here all day :p)
Catharsis (Fates Warning meets Psychotic Waltz style!)
Damn The Machine (heavy metal with a proggy edge - the Poland brothers are awesome
Digital Ruin (Q-ryche meets Fates Warning - good melodies, but not so good production)
Eternity X ("The Edge" is one of my ultimate favorite CDs!!! This is THE album to get)
Heir Apparent ("One Small Voice" is a classic for Q-ryche fans)
Hittman (the debut was pure Q-ryche worship, whereas the 2nd album "Vivas Machina" managed to blend in Bon Jovi style hard rock and in my opinion succeeded to create a brilliant disc)
Ice Age (someone already mentioned them - "Liberation" is a great great disc)
Last Things, the (This is some obscure stuff!!! Crazy / weird prog metal with strange percussions, bagpipes and whatnot)
Lord Bane (duh!!! See post above)
Mystic Force (Keith Menser and his band were fantastic - classic US prog / power metal)
Quiet Room, the (these guys came out of nowhere and took me by surprise first time I heard their demos. I actually worked together with Nordic Metal then trying to get them signed, but in the end they signed with another label. "Introspect" is a fantastic DT styled prog metal album and eventhough a lot of fans hate their second disc, I actually really liked that one too)
Sacred Warrior (Christian band playing some of the best Q-ryche styled prog ever)
Seventhsign (Fates Warning copy cat? Well perhaps so, but Gregg Analla sure can sing!)
Titan Force (Harry Conklin's "other band" - this doesn't remind of Jag Panzer except for his voice - this is way closer to prog than power - both "Titan Force" and "Winner/Loser" are classics!)

As mentioned above, there's a lot of bands I have forgotten here, but these were the ones that came to mind first, so give some of them a shot ...

c.

We've just uploaded a new song on our myspace player.
Mixing and mastering duties for the new album are finally concluded and the result is as you can hear by listening to "Darker Woods", which is a beautifully ambiental reverie.

Click to listen: http://www.myspace.com/obliquerain

"October Dawn" playlist and song titles will be as follows:

1 - Soaring Alone
2 - Out There
3 - Soul Circles
4 - Absent Awry
5 - Reminiscence
6 - Inanity
7 - Spiral Dreams
8 - Dawn
9 - Darker Woods

More news about artwork and release dates will follow soon.
Regards

Thanks Claus. A good list of bands to check out. Listening to Manigance's first EP right now.

Here is some obscure band from Canberra, Australia

you can d/l a copy of our ep (links below)

1.Tunnel Vision (5:31)
2.Life Goes On (4:51)
3.Lost Soul Drift (7:19)
4.Swarm (5:19)
5.Superstition (6:36)
6.Simple (7:52)

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yjydqmnq5mm/01 Tunnel Vision.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/file/iztmnn1wznm/02 Life Goes On.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/?zznmymji0ir Lost Soul Drift

http://www.mediafire.com/file/m3ojjiw002m/04 Swarm.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gmzikjjazj2/05 Superstition.mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mnkjydn2y5y/06 Simple.mp3

This is pretty good stuff dude! Everyone definitely give it a listen.

I have to add Edensong. Just got a request from their MySpace site and they blown me away, already orderd their debut album at lasercd.com (along with Tetrafusion debut).

I don't know if you are still following this thread original poster, but I have a serious suggestion that doesn't exactly fall under the "prog" umbrella. A German band called Avalon released a CD titled "Eurasia" and it is not exactly "prog" but there are enough prog elements in there to keep some proggers happy.
I don't want to sound demeaning toward other people replying because they may suggest to you stuff you like better than this release, but I couldn't be more whole hearted when I say that release is a masterpiece.

Bryant

Going through my collection:

All Too Human: I found out about these guys from the Symphony X list, since one of their members was a member on the list. I have both albums, tho I don't spin them too often.
Greyhaven: I don't remember when I got this, but it is a great album. Unfortunately, I think they only made one album.
Heaven's Cry: Definitely a bit different and may be an acquired taste. I have two albums, and I think that's it so far.
Ivory Tower: Pretty decent prog metal. I definitely like the second album better than the first.
Lord Of Mushrooms: A recommendation from Ken Golden that I've often had in my CD player.
Mayadome: Paranormal Activity was a blind buy from Ken Golden years ago at Powermad from his bargain CDs. I keep it mainly for the first song which I think kicks ass. I can't say the same about the rest of the album.
novAct: Another Ken Golden special. Pretty good band with a pretty unique lead singer.
The Quiet Room: Another Powermad band that was pretty hot for a time. Personally, they didn't do much for me, but I do have their first album still.
Soundscape: Seemingly back from the dead with a new album, they kicked butt at Powermad years ago, tho I burned out on Thorne years ago.
Sunblaze: Another Ken Golden recommendation. All they have is a 2 song EP (Illuminating Heights), but what on it is pretty good.
Under The Sun Another one album wonder from Magna Carta. The lead singer takes some getting used to, but I think it was a great album.
Vox Tempus: I picked this up from CDInzane's cheap box a few years back. Like Ice Age, another band who's lead singer sounds a lot like Dennis DeYoung. Overall, a pretty good album.

Thanks, Claus. I need to pull out that Abstract Algebra CD and give it a fresh airing...I've got it somewhere and remember liking it. (As I recall, the CD cover looks like it has Ben Stein on it. :))

Cheers for Mayadome, too. Saw them at ProgPower Europe in 1999. :headbang:
Besides, any band named after a) a Cynic song, and b) the movie Bio-Dome just has to be good. Or kinda twisted, in a good way. :lol: