Anyone here into re-wiring guitars?

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
I have a question: what does it mean when after re-wiring a guitar, the bridge humbucker is super twangy AND the vol/tone pots act as volumes, but not gradual...rather, full on or off...and off is only when the pot is turned all the way down?

I'm really confused right now, after following the schematic to a T. As far as the pickup goes, it might be screwy because it's not the original pickup (replacing a fucked up on). Both the new and old had 4-conductor wiring, the old was a DiMarzio, new I have no clue what it is. H-S-H, 5 way switching.

http://www.ibanez.com/support/wiring/2005/RG2570.gif

Well, the twangy part probably because of that you have hooked the pickup up as a singlecoil or parallel.
As goes for the vol/tone pots, I have no frikkin clue(I suck at that part.).

sometimes the colors on wires doesn't indicate the same function across companies. just a reminder.

sometimes the colors on wires doesn't indicate the same function across companies. just a reminder.

That was part of my question. Is it a matter of something being swappable? Are green/bare always grounded?

I could toy with the pickup. The deal with the pots doing what they are doing, it's beyond me.

I included the wiring diagram I used at the top, btw.

That was part of my question. Is it a matter of something being swappable? Are green/bare always grounded?

I could toy with the pickup. The deal with the pots doing what they are doing, it's beyond me.

I included the wiring diagram I used at the top, btw.

I'd have to refer to my Dan Erlewine maintenance book. There's a section on wiring. Apparently there's a TON of ways to wire up a p/up, none of which do I have memorized. I've been putting of swapping out a p/up on my Agile because I usually mess stuff like that up 5 times before getting it right. Although I don't know how to use it, a voltage meter can be used to figure out what wires are what too. Sorry I'm not more help.

One thing I have done in the past is have the ground pop off because it was hard to get it to stick to the back of the pot. It may go without saying, but if you haven't yet, check for the ground having come loose.

color_codes.jpg

I was just about about to post that same pic :)

Once I rewired my friends guitar that had Duncan designed pickups (blehh). Strangely, the wiring was not the same as in other Seymor Duncans:erk:. It was like Jackson style wiring.

They all should use the same colour coding. Red as hot, black as ground and whatever in the middle:)

Once I rewired my friends guitar that had Duncan designed pickups (blehh). Strangely, the wiring was not the same as in other Seymor Duncans:erk:. It was like Jackson style wiring.

They all should use the same colour coding. Red as hot, black as ground and whatever in the middle:)

I agree. I hated that when I was doing repair/mod work at a local shop. Somebody would bring in some brand x pickup, and I always had to reference the chart to see which wire was going to where for things like coil splits and such.

I wired a SD JB/Jazz set into my RGA121 (which I've sold already though), and the wires in the Jazz were wrong. I connected them as they were supposed to, but the neck pickup just sounded weird and spanky (like a bad singlecoil). Apparently it was out of phase. I got a tip to chance the black and white wires around, and it did the trick. Or well, almost; the 4th position was supposed to be neck pickup in parallel, but it didn't sound like that. Also, in the 2nd position, the inside coils were supposed to be on, but it made the outer coil of the neck pickup go on instead of the inner one. Apparently this is somewhat common with Duncans, as I asked for advice, some people said they'd experienced the same problem (wire colors messed up) with some Duncans.

I wired a SD JB/Jazz set into my RGA121 (which I've sold already though), and the wires in the Jazz were wrong. I connected them as they were supposed to, but the neck pickup just sounded weird and spanky (like a bad singlecoil). Apparently it was out of phase. I got a tip to chance the black and white wires around, and it did the trick. Or well, almost; the 4th position was supposed to be neck pickup in parallel, but it didn't sound like that. Also, in the 2nd position, the inside coils were supposed to be on, but it made the outer coil of the neck pickup go on instead of the inner one. Apparently this is somewhat common with Duncans, as I asked for advice, some people said they'd experienced the same problem (wire colors messed up) with some Duncans.

shit :erk:

I have usually checked the coils polarity with screwdriver and a multimeter to make sure if in doubt.

How did you like the pickups? I have the same set in my Epi les paul with coil tap on a push/pull pot. Haven't used it a lot because bought few others guitars right after that :)

the pots are probably the wrong value, so their taper is off. I assume that either the p/ups or the pots are new (or both)?

Passive pickups require pots higher value resistance...Usually pots for passive are 250K, 500K or 1 Meg pots.

Active pots are usually 25K.

shit :erk:

I have usually checked the coils polarity with screwdriver and a multimeter to make sure if in doubt.

How did you like the pickups? I have the same set in my Epi les paul with coil tap on a push/pull pot. Haven't used it a lot because bought few others guitars right after that :)

I did like them, especially the Jazz. I got a lot of note separation with those pickups (no mud), and the Jazz was super clean and bell-like. I've got a Jazz 7 in my custom too. I sold the guitar because the neck was so super thin, I just couldn't get used to it. They weren't anything special though, but they weren't exactly very expensive either. My Lundgren M7 was more expensive used than both of those pickups new :) But of course, it sounds way better too.

I did like them, especially the Jazz. I got a lot of note separation with those pickups (no mud), and the Jazz was super clean and bell-like. I've got a Jazz 7 in my custom too. I sold the guitar because the neck was so super thin, I just couldn't get used to it. They weren't anything special though, but they weren't exactly very expensive either. My Lundgren M7 was more expensive used than both of those pickups new :) But of course, it sounds way better too.

Yes, they are quite cheap, that's the main reason I bought them :lol: Actually It took more time to consider buying the push/pull pot :lol: (16e, gimme a fucking break).