Anyone here like 60's and 70's Chicago ?

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I went to work several weeks back and the guys had the "shop radio" on a classic rock station and they were playing some really old Chicago. It was cool oldschool rock and roll, but with a horn section. Yeah..... I had heard it all of my life, but I thought my Dad was even to cool to listen to that stuff.
For some reason, that stuff hit me and I bought a "Greatest Hits" CD. It didn't stay in my player for three months like Christ 0 mind you, but I actually enjoyed it. THe horn stuff sounded great !! Am I getting old or has some of the symphonic prog-metal taken it's toll on me ? Ha ha ha..... probably a combination of the two.

Bryant

As a kid, I was a horn player so I really got into bands like Chicago and Tower of Power, Southside Johnny and such....still love the sound of brass.

Want a killer early Chicago album then get Chicago at Carnegie Hall. Was a 4 album release...colossal in it's day.
Past Chicago VIII, I found them getting far too poppy...crossed that line....and lost interest as they were edging back the horns too.
One of my favorites from them is on VIII ""Oh, Thank You Great Spirit".....probably their best non horn song.

It was 1974, and I was...oh let's say around 13.....my dad had to go to work in Houston due to a phone company strike for about a year. When he would come home to visit us, he always brought a present. There is only one present I remember today. .....

He knows how into music I am, so I'm dying as I see that he has pulled a record out of his bag. Who is it???? Who is it???? He hands me a copy of Chicago VII. ummmm My crest fallen face was obvious. He says they are at the top of the billboard chart!!! Oh cool. yea I've heard them on the radio some...Oh sure Dad, I love this band.

I'm thinking what a total bust of a present this is.

Fast forward to about 2-3 weeks later. I'm hooked. I'm in love. I called and begged him to get me some of their other albums. So yes, I like Chicago. :p

I think I need to call my Dad today. :)

I have yet to find a band that is named after a place that I actually like.

Asia, Chicago, Boston, Europe, etc...they all have their moments, but overall, not really all that great to me.

Being a baby boomer and growing up in the 60's with the likes of the Beatles, Stones, and Hendrix, and all of a sudden here comes this band with horns no less, and this guitar player that was really awesome, i thought WOW. The first album by them Chicago Transit Authority in my opinion was the best, and always will be. And then getting to see them live a few times was the icing on the cake, and yes live in the early 70's with CTA was an experience.

I like some of Chicago's stuff (probably the more common songs that would have been played as part of the now defunct AOR radio format), but haven't been a fan enough to collect their stuff.

John, were they forced to change their name from Chicago Transit Authority to Chicago due to CTA objecting to it, or did they change because they thought the original was too long or unwieldy?

John, were they forced to change their name from Chicago Transit Authority to Chicago due to CTA objecting to it, or did they change because they thought the original was too long or unwieldy?

I believe it was changed due to a lawsuit brought by the Chicago Transit Authority, and settled out of court with the shortening of the name to just Chicago. I think my memory serves me right, but then again my memory ain't what it used to be.....

Saw the band twice at the Las Vegas MGM Grand (2007 & 2008) and had a blast. There is a huge difference watching seasoned musicians at the top of their game versus the usual cookie cutter type bands out now.

I believe it was changed due to a lawsuit brought by the Chicago Transit Authority, and settled out of court with the shortening of the name to just Chicago. I think my memory serves me right, but then again my memory ain't what it used to be.....

I guess the City of Chicago just didn't care, then. Or maybe they liked the band's stuff. :)

Being a baby boomer and growing up in the 60's with the likes of the Beatles, Stones, and Hendrix, and all of a sudden here comes this band with horns no less, and this guitar player that was really awesome, i thought WOW. The first album by them Chicago Transit Authority in my opinion was the best, and always will be. And then getting to see them live a few times was the icing on the cake, and yes live in the early 70's with CTA was an experience.

I couldn't agree more. As a fan of brass, I have loved this band from day 1. I was devestated when they lost Terry Kath. I have the complete collection, including all my treasured vinyls-which I have since transfered to cd. Long live James Pankow.

Yeah!! I saw the original Chicago on their first tour on my birthday in 1969 when they opened for Jimi Hendrix. We didn't know who they were and they blew Hendrix off the stage - not an easy feat. Terry Kath was unparalleled. He was the only other guitarist Hendrix ever asked advice from. Listen to "Freeform Guitar" on CTA. Kath was doing things Hendrix was doing -controlled feedback and incredible wah pedal!! Most people equate Chicago with the mellow Peter Cetera shit. IMHO, the REAL Chicago was before Terry Kath died.

Chris :headbang: