Camel / 60 - 70's

warsofwinter

In memory of Chuck
May 2, 2001
Corner Brook Canada
www.warsofwinter.cjb.net
I've heard good things about this band. Whats some good songs to start with

Also .. Im starting to listen to more and more music from the 60's and 70's ... some bands I've gotten into so far are :
Jethro Tull
The Doors
Pink Floyd
The beatles
and that's pretty much it .. I love much of the music I hear that was produce in that day.. what's some good bands/songs from then that I should probably check out .. and could some jethro tull fan tell me some songs by them as well I only have a few

Yes, you will like Camel.

Start with songs like: Ice, Lady Fantasy, Stationary Traveller, Slow Yourself Down, Nimrodel, Song Within A Song... argh WAY to much.

If you want the best albums, then:

Camel
Mirage
Snow Goose
Moonmadness
Rajaz.

uh, I don't know a lot about Camel, other than that their CDs are damn hard to find. I'm gonna try eBay once I get some more cash.

check out Mystic Queen and Stationary Traveller, those are both pretty solid songs. (they also comprise 2/3 of what I've heard from the band..)

and, what Pink Floyd have you gotten into? Get Animals if you don't have it already, that album's fucking perfect even though it doesn't have the "radio hits" that some of the other albums have. Or maybe that's why it's so perfect.. long winded songs and angry lyrics, yeah \m/

damn, I saw Meddle in the used bin last time I was at the cd shop.. shoulda picked it up

jeanreno said:
Used Bin? Where do you live? Here I can't even pick it up hardly.

Im gonna go for a hunt for animals soon, Dark side and WYWH are my favorites also however i'm not too fond of The Wall myself or Roger Waters... thanks for the reccomendations .... I can't wait to get into camel a bit more i've heard they are awesome,
I've just downloaded the whole mirage album . I think it's pretty awesome so far..

ha... I'm in Baltimore. There are a few cool record stores around here with a nice used selection. I picked up Moonspell's Irreligious, Grip Inc's Nemesis, and Paradise Lost's Draconian Times for like $4 a piece one day. That was a good haul :D

Camel is my favorite non-metal band of all time.. It used to be Pink Floyd before I heard Camel. I love nearly everything they have done, but their 80's material wasn't the best. Everything from the 70's and everything from the 90's are suprime! Start of with Moonmadness, Mirage, Self titled, Snow Goose, Rain Dances.. then the 90's stuff, especially Rajaz,.. then Harbour of Tears, Dust into Dreams, then the new one A Nod and a Wink.. then if you are really into camel like me you will get all the 80's stuff, just cause it's camel and they rule. Nuff said.

@Warsofwinter:

Piper At The Gates of Dawn is my favorite Floyd record. Syd Barret's genius is exquisitely displayed on this album. It remains one of my all time favorites. Meddle and Animals are also excellent, and so are the "popular ones".

I still haven't heard Ummagumma, and I've heard very mixed points of view on it. It sounds REALLY experimental though, and that's always an attraction ;)

The White Album, Revolver and Sgt.Pepper's are the best Beatles albums, in my opinion.

As for The Doors, well I feel as if this is a band that lacked a "perfect" album that defines them. the closest one would be the self titled. That's my personal favorite, other great ones are Strange Days, Morrison Hotel and L.A. Woman. Be warned, out of all the bands you've asked about, The Doors are probably the less accessible (not that they're really complex or anything) or at least that has been my experience. I still love them though, despite all the crap they've taken :)

Ummagumma is really cool.. very little actual music on it, mostly weird sounds and other things.. I like it :) Very expiremental and obvisouly drug influenced.

I used to be super into Darkside of the Moon and The Wall, but it seems like those are the only two Floyd albums that get any attention and I kinda got burnt out on them. I think they have a lot of other wonderful material that a lot of people overlook. The Radio only likes Darkside and the Wall.. but fuck the radio anyway.