Dark Prog Rock

Lothlorien

Towards the Great Sky
Jan 28, 2006
so i listen quite heavily to jethro tull, camel, etc. but i just cant seem to find any 60's-70's prog rock that has more of a darker sound/feel to it. can anyone suggest some good dark prog music.

Hmmm....have you tried any SFF (Schicke Führs & Fröhling)? "Symphonic Pictures" (that's the only one that struch me as dark by them...)

I dunno...maybe Van Der Graaf Generator? (try "Pawn Hearts")

Then there's something that all I can say is "good luck fucking finding it"...a very rare little thing simply called Dark.

Uhm...can you elucidate a little more on what kind of darker feel you're looking for? As in, loads of moody mellotron versus dark fucked up folky prog, etc? Wait, let me see if I can throw something else at you:

Cathedral "Strained Glass Stories" (the american band, not the British one fronted by Lee Dorrian)

OOOH!!!

Il Balletto di Bronzo "Ys". It's Italian prog, and it's dark for damn sure. Perhaps not everybody's taste....

I'll throw out some more in a little while.

Nightsun from Germany. "Mornin"

Edit: even though it's not 60's or 70's prog, you have to get Morte Macabre "Symphonic Holocaust". It's got its roots in the 70's alright, and I'm sure everyone here who's heard it will second me here...it's a must if you want achingly beautiful, dark prog.

Dr. Z- Three Parts To My Soul. Fairly obscure album from 71, but considered one of the early dark prog rock albums. If you have trouble tracking it down let me know.

Edit: even though it's not 60's or 70's prog, you have to get Morte Macabre "Symphonic Holocaust". It's got its roots in the 70's alright, and I'm sure everyone here who's heard it will second me here...it's a must if you want achingly beautiful, dark prog.

i aint play this said:
Univers Zero is amazing. Get Uzed and Heresie.

qft. definitely get these.

Message - From Books & Dreams
Ramases - Space Hymns
Arzachel - S/T
Black Widow - The Ultimate Sacrifice
Aphrodite's Child - 666
Pentangle - Cruel Sister
Folque - S/T

Some of these might be difficult to find hard copies of. I know some are on Itunes and the others can be found on blogs all over the internet.

Message - From Books & Dreams
Ramases - Space Hymns
Arzachel - S/T
Black Widow - The Ultimate Sacrifice
Aphrodite's Child - 666
Pentangle - Cruel Sister
Folque - S/T

Some of these might be difficult to find hard copies of. I know some are on Itunes and the others can be found on blogs all over the internet.

Cheers for these...I'll slowly check em out n hunt n down :)