Dark prog

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2006
What is some dark sounding prog, besides Opeth. I've been trying to find more prog besides Opeth and Liquid tension expirement...I've tried checking out stuff like Camel, porcupine tree, king crimson, rush, etc. But thing is, i'm having trouble finding anything dark. And anything with vocals that would not irritate me. I'm not a big fan of clean vocals, but i enjoy Akerfeldt's voice alot, symphony x vocals are good, soi is the DT vocalist when NOT trying to sound like metallica...But Rush for example, i'm not feeling that much due to the vocals.

So any suggestions for prog that sounds dark, with vocals i might enjoy or no vocals? Maybe specific songs, even by the stuff i listed.

Edge of sanity sounds interesting but i haven't seen anything Damnation-like from them. Well, i haven't heard much by them, so that may be why. But yeah i'm looking for something along the lines of Damnation.

rocklobster said:
What is some dark sounding prog, besides Opeth. I've been trying to find more prog besides Opeth and Liquid tension expirement...I've tried checking out stuff like Camel, porcupine tree, king crimson, rush, etc. But thing is, i'm having trouble finding anything dark. And anything with vocals that would not irritate me. I'm not a big fan of clean vocals, but i enjoy Akerfeldt's voice alot, symphony x vocals are good, soi is the DT vocalist when NOT trying to sound like metallica...But Rush for example, i'm not feeling that much due to the vocals.

So any suggestions for prog that sounds dark, with vocals i might enjoy or no vocals? Maybe specific songs, even by the stuff i listed.
lamo this post scores pretty high on the high-school-metal-fanboy-ometer

Well, it's a good thing you started this thread, since i don't think a question like this has ever been asked before. Though im stumped myself. Why would you even want anything more than symphony x and dream theater? They made prog!

NineFeetUnderground said:
you dont like prog vocals..but you like symphony x vocals.

thanks, but im going to refrain from making any helpful suggestions. get taste.

Whats wrong with Russel Allens voice? I think he has an incredible voice. One of the few vocalists in that style that actually sounds as good if not better live...

I think you might like Nevermore, or maybe Katatonia if you like more ambient gothic stuff, in which case you might want to check out Fields of the Nephilim, or maybe you are more the doom metal type in which case you might want to check out Shape of Despair, very dark stuff with very dark and heavy vocals.

Hah...funny.

But hah there's nothing wrong with liking the way certain things sound. Are you following the "100 rules of a proghead" thing when posting stuff or something? :p

what "rule" am i following? i was simply being sarcastic, and i dont consider myself a "proghead." in regards to the way certain thing sound, theres a distinct line between opinion and taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.