What got you into prog music Mike?

Mikael Åkerfeldt;6195893 said:
An old friend (well, I don't really know him anymore) that was in a punk band (!) played Yes to me thinking I might like it. He was right, I started looking for any odd stuff in the 2nd hand record stores pretty much immediately. This was in 1991 I believe and that's when the sound of Opeth started to change.

I still like Yes as well!
Cheers
Mike

u know they were big dicks to ure mentor ...Steve...when PT toured with them.....heck they shortened PT;s opening set from 45 to 15 min opening slot.....maybe fear of being overshadowed....also stories about no sound cheks....and out of tune instrumetns...!!!!...did u hear about that......but then again....soemtiems good msucins have insane egos.....hahahha......!!!.....keep rockin.....PEAC EOUT

I'm listening to Yes' Close to the Edge right now. Great album.

Changes is a beautufl track........if u wanna go on a hunt.....check out this pakistani pop band called..."VITAL SIGNS"....and thier song..AJNABI......u will see teh similarities.....hahhaa........PEAC EOUT

Changes is a beautufl track........if u wanna go on a hunt.....check out this pakistani pop band called..."VITAL SIGNS"....and thier song..AJNABI......u will see teh similarities.....hahhaa........PEAC EOUT

Wilco. Will check em out. Wait, Paki?

:p

Changes is bootiful yes.

I can't remember what my first 'prog band' was...probably Tool.

Mike, I had no idea your introduction to prog was so (relatively) late! You were, what, 17 or something? But given that you were a metalhead kid, I guess that makes sense.

My dad was into Tull and my stepmother was into Floyd. So I was listening to that stuff around 1980 or so... Then a college friend introduced me to Peter Gabriel era Genesis, and I fell in love. Foxtrot in particular really did it for me. Still does.

my dad had me listening to the Beatles and pink floyd since i can remember, before i knew what "prog rock" was. i think as far as prog-metal goes Master of Puppets was the one that started it for me, then Images and Words, then Still Life.

My first prog album/song was Symphony X-The Odyssey...it was the first 20+ minute song I ever heard and I loved it, so I discovered some more prog. metal bands and found Opeth's Black Rose Immortal, which I loved and went ahead and bought Morningrise, my first prog. metal/Opeth cd.