Help Get Me Started On Some Prog!

Draehl

Lurker
May 31, 2004
Atlanta 'burbs
This is my first post on the forum so a big hello to everyone. :wave:

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with gettin into some more prog bands? Ever since I started listening to heavy music fans of one band have lead me to another. Korn > Metallica > Black Label Society > Opeth. So I thought it would be very appropriate for Opeth fans to help me out on this one. I already listen to Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater. I love Pt to death and DT to a lesser degree. I was thinking of maybe trying out some older stuff? I hear Camel was a big influence on Opeth so I'll definitely check them out.

What else should I experiment with? Also if you wanna post any info on prog music in general I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm a prog n00b =)

Thank you.

Well, DT is instrumental masturbation, and Porcupine Tree has some pretty good stuff, but I dont think either can touch the finest of the 70's!!

If you want some more bands like PT, check out:
Katatonia
Anekdoten

And if you want to get into tRoO prog, start with the most popular stuff like Jethro Tull, Yes, King Crimson, Pink Floyd, etc, and that will give you an idea of what kind of bands to explore further.

Rather than re-iterate the 20 posts of mine from it...please just check out the "70s prog" thread on this same forum...youll have plenty of great bands to check out mentioned in there. and if you have anymore questions on the genre, id be happy to help you with them on there.

It sounds like you wanna here some more classic prog. Check out Genesis, Rush, Yes, and Pink Floyd. If you want prog metal, check out Symphony X, Queensryche, Fates Warning, Evergrey and Pain of Salvation. It also wouldnt hurt to look into the Dream Theater side projects (Liquid Tension Experiment, OSI, ect...)

As I write this, I am listeining to Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. I would strongly recommend this album if you want to hear some good prog. I only got it a couple weeks ago but I think I have listened to it at least 10 times (and it is 2 discs). Parts of it, especially the keyboards, really remind me of Damnation, although there is very little use of acoustic guitar. Also, it has some of the best lyrics I think I have ever heard. Foxtrot is another great Genesis album, the only other one by them that I have. It has the 20 plus minute Supper's Ready, which really has the epic feel of the longer Opeth songs. Can Utility and the Coastliners really sounds a lot like Closure off Damnation, to me, by the way.

PS - I saw Rush this past weekend in Virginia Beach. Excellent show. Check them out if you haven't yet. Grace Under Pressure is really underrated. I got to hear them play Between the Wheels and Red Sector A live, so that was pretty good.

One of my favorite "prog" bands are the Beatles, I think they are so popular, that people overlook their great music, but I love it, and I do think that they are very progressive on many of the older albums.

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
Well, DT is instrumental masturbation,

whats wrong with masturbating??? :p

i like DT, but 70's prog is the shit, listen to Floyd, Tull, Yes, King Crimson, Sebastian Hardie, Camel

some interesting stuff i consider progressive nowadays is The Mars Volta, very good, umm what else is there

Agalloch are a band you might like, not necessarly sp? prog but great Dark and moody Acousitc Metal,

Pain Of Salvation are good too

Arcturus i think are progressive BlackMetal/Industrial/Mike Patton, they are fucking good if you want something a bit different
(that reminds me*puts on Arcturus*)

PT are awesome
Katatonia are even better

people...please post these comments on "70s prog" thread.

and yes...without the beatles there wouldnt be progressive/experimental/psych music as we know it today. i wouldnt say theyre underappreciated, but theyre certainly overlooked as a "prog" band as a broad generalization...many mainly know them for the "please please me" or "help" material...which i still enjoy, but obviously is only bubble gum pop blending american rythm/blues with european melodies...which was also pretty innovative at the time.