What was the first metal album you got?

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality. I got it in 1976 when I was 5. Hooked ever since, and still have the original tape the pulls out the side.

Iron Maiden - Killers/Number of the Beast, about 14 years ago or something like that

got both on tape at the same time. Maiden were god for several years, megadeth was discovered soon after followed by sepultura, carcass and morbid angel. Coolness.

i copied a few tapes from my brother when i was about 9 or 10, some Maiden and a (cringe) DefLeppard. I confess, I also had (get this) Europe's the Final Countdown. HA! later in my freshman year of high school i found megadeth's Peace Sells, and that's when i became a 'metalhead' for life, picked up a guitar and the rest is history.

-iz

cd: The Doors : Soundtrack for the movie (about ten years ago)
lp: Entombed : Wolverine Blues (about five years ago)

Ahh, like this kind of threads, sweet nostalgia!

Well, in January 1990 a friend lended me a tape with Iron Maiden's Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son album, I then taped all his Maiden stuff, then I went on to Metallica and Slayer soon followed, I still remember hearing Reign In Blood the first time and going, what the fuck is this, I could hardly believe music like that existed! This just ain't music, the guy's just screaming!

But soon I got used to it and started getting into some Death Metal as well, Obituary, Death etc. In 1992 I bought my first CD-player and started buying my own CD's, resulting in a collection that'll reach the 1000 mark quite soon I think...

I guess it depends on what counts as metal.

I think "Astro-Creep: 2000" would have been my first. Maybe "Load". My first "real" metal album would probably have been "Master of Puppets", and I believe Hypocrisy's self-titled was the first semi-underground CD I ever purchased. Either that, or maybe "Crimson".

Dissection- Storm Of The Light's Bane or Autumn Tears- Love Poems For Dead Children ( maybe since alot of metal people i know like them)

i was around 12 or so. i listened to DCD and weird things like that

Back in 1997 Sentenced - AMOK (One the biggest speed metal cds in the history of music), after that I bought Trail Of Tears - Forclosure In Red, and after that I bought Amorphis - Elegy, from those cd's on I was on the metal wagon...

I wish you hadn't asked this question... :oops: I got into metal from a (realtively) early age, so the first album that I bought..... out of my own pocket may have been BWP :oops: :oops: :oops:

Before then I was listening to my Brothers CD's (Mainly Opeth) and he started listening to metal after dusting offf one of my Dad's LP's. So I've been surviving on seond hand music for 2-3 years, until my brother moved out (and his musical taste changed somewhat), and have had to fend for myself since.

Come to think of it though, I purchased Silverchairs 'Neon Ballroom' a while back, and a double CD 'Full Metal Racket' (Aus Radio Station Metal Compilation Album) a while before that..... Perhaps thing weren't as bad as I originally thought......

Blackwater Park...I'm pretty sure. But I suck with genres, so for all I know I had five metal albums before it. But BWP is the first one I was sure of.

The first album that was bought for me (I was about 10, give or take) was Metallica - Ride The Lightning. I was listening to Iron Maiden and Mötorhead back then too, but they were just casettes copied from friends (A pirate way back then :D ). Weird enough my dad, may he rot in peace, got the album for me, I guess mainly cos he liked it too. This was back in 84 or so.