What bands has Opeth got you into?

I thank Opeth for opening doors to: King Crimson, E.L.P, Camel, Katatonia, Porcupine Tree and Ayreon along with other Arjen projects...

These bands are truly some of the best bands on the plane, I dig 'em all!

Directly, I think that would only be Porcupine Tree (I checked them out when BWP was released and I was wondering who this Steven Wilson character was and what his band sounded like). And I guess Katatonia because of the relationship between the two bands. I checked them out after I saw Mike mention that he and Jonas were friends.

But indirectly I would say Opeth opened me up to more extreme and challenging music than I was listening to before that. Before Opeth I mostly listened to industrial and metal bands like In Flames, Children of Bodom and Arch Enemy. So kind of like the 'easy listening' segment of the extreme metal scene. Opeth's much darker and more serious vibe was definitely something I hadn't really heard at that point and it got me interested in a ton of other bands and styles. Although not right away because I did go through the usual fanboy "Opeth is the best band ever!!!" phase but after that, yes, I would say they opened me up to a huge amount of stuff that I listen to nowadays.

Opeth has opened me up to a bit more black metal, although I liked a bit of it before I really got into them. I must admit its also increased my liking for stuff along the lines of Lacuna Coil, which I was also a fan of but I tend to feel the two have a kind of connection somehow - at least in my own mind they do.

Definitely Porcupine Tree. They kind of helped get me into Death Metal too.

Couldn't stand death metal vox until I heard Opeth. Now I've really gotten into other death metal bands and Grindcore such as Cannible Corpse, Morbid Angel, Aborted, Fuck... I'm Dead, etc. Also Porcupine Tree. Hehehe

Opeth kinda got me into At the Gates, Necrophagist, Emperor and Immortal. I had already liked Cannibal Corpse and Morbid Angel before. I have no interest in grindcore though. Other prog bands I like are King Crimson, Pink Floyd and Tool though I didn't need Opeth to get me into them either.

Just out of interest, is it true most death metal fans refuse to listen to any other metal or popular music because of its relative simplicity or is this just an urban myth? It just seems silly.

I liked many metal bands before discovering Opeth, like morbid angel, Death, Dream theater, Camel, Rush, Emperor, COF etc etc....
After listening Opeth I got even more interested & focused on this kind of music, So, this may have been their influence.

Porcupine tree...I don't know that guys...Maybe should check It out!