Just got into Opeth.

Jun 10, 2002
Visit site
I read around a little bit before joining, and you all seem to be long time fans, so I figured a few of you might care what a new comer thinks.

First off, this might be long because its 4:30 in the morning right now and I've been bored all night. So I apologize for ranting in advance.

Second, I'd just like to tell all of you hey, as dumb as that may sound lol. Well to tell you the truth I was scared to join the board of a "death metal" band because I've been to other death metal board's before and the people weren't too intelligent, but you all seem to be cool as fuck.

Third, I might not fit in here..I just got into Opeth, and they're becoming one of my favorite bands already, but my favorite band of all time is Tool. Which is funny, because I read about "converting tool fans to opeth fans" earlier. I'm just getting into stuff like this, Soilwork, and In Flames.

Finally, I think I better just finish this before I'm labeled "the boring newbie" here. My history with Opeth is short. I've already bought Blackwater Park, and I haven't stopped listening to it this whole week. Its a masterpiece. I also have a gigantic Opeth playlist right now, which is killing my harddrive, so I'm going pick up all the other Opeth albums too as soon as I get some more money. Hopefully Warehouse Music will have them...

Anyway, nice to meet all of you in advance. My name's Scott and I'm clicking the submit button now..

welcome here!

you say that we're cool as fuck... yeah, we listen to the best music in the world!!!!!!!!

and then, don't worry, if you think you're too long or boring. have you ever checked the opeth's songs length?

hello again.

Welcome to the forum. Also I noticed that the Opeth section on Audiogalaxy is strangely not as terrible as most of them are. No coincidence I'm sure.

Thanks everyone. Haha, yea they do have really long songs, but I'm falling in love with progressive too. Bought Images and Words from Dream Theater right along side Blackwater park this week. And yes, Opeth is spreading...I actually saw an ad somewhere for Opeth when Blackwater Park was first released, and I got them mixed up with some band that sounded like Kittie lol. Its ashame really, I didn't check them out finally until 2 weeks ago.

Its kind of sad, Opeth gets a little popularity and I already see people calling them overrated in the General Discussion forum.

Sounds cool, brings back memories of me discovering the big O ;)

So your favorite band is Tool...may I go off subject just for a while? Try out Katatonia! They're a Swedish band with a brilliant vocalist worthy and reminiscent of Keenan, but they're much more melodic than Tool. Kinda based on the Swedish metal sound, but the songwriting is too accomplished to get limited by that. Their new stuff is something you'd wish to get more attention, because they have a definite mainstream appeal while never going too pop. I guess the tortured lyrics have something to do with it...

I don't recommend Opeth songs, I recommend Opeth albums. I don't think there's an Opeth song I don't really like. As far as albums go, I think Morningrise and My Arms Your Hearse and Still Life tie as their best work. Fervisson, I'm a huge Tool fan as well. Welcome.

Nothing against you Fervisson, but why is it that "newbies" to extreme metal ALWAYS start with NWOSDM and Opeth? WTF?

Originally posted by Fervisson
Third, I might not fit in here..I just got into Opeth, and they're becoming one of my favorite bands already, but my favorite band of all time is Tool. Which is funny, because I read about "converting tool fans to opeth fans" earlier. I'm just getting into stuff like this, Soilwork, and In Flames.

Tool was also my favorite band before I got into metal.. then I discovered Opeth and now they're my favorite. I still love Tool, and I'm getting into In Flames, Soilwork, Dark Tranquillity, Katatonia and Anathema,etc.. I will probably collect all cd's from those bands eventually, right now i have about one cd from each.
Also you shouldnt' just buy all 4 other Opeth cd's at once, it kinda ruins the experience. I got them all one month apart, but you can do what you want man. Welcome to the forums.