Opeth fans! Do you have a sense of metal history?

hmm, other bands...
Iron Maiden
Bolt Thrower
My Dying Bride
Katatonia
Mayhem
Borknagar
Death
Naplam Death

How I got into Opeth: I was into Katatonia's 'Brave Murder Day', then I was in a cd store with someone that pointed out this band called Opeth had the same vocalist, and were pretty good, so I got MAYH, and was hooked :D

I started listening to metal in 1987, when I was 9 :D

Well those stupid cunt metal elitists deserve a good kick up the arse if you ask me. Before Opeth got popular those same people went on about how great they are, but once they get popular all of a sudden it becomes trendy to bash them and their fans. Idiots.

For the record, my 10 favourite bands are at the moment:
Opeth
Morbid Sngel
Nile
Mr. Bungle
King Crimson
Yes
Pink Floyd
Anaal Nathrakh
Emperor
Blind Guardian

Who really cares? Somebody has to make their entry into metal somehow. Even if a majority of Opeth fans were just teens that got into them fresh out of the mainstream, then how is that a bad thing? It's showing people that there IS quality music out there that's also very accessible.

Whilst that scenario doesn't apply to me, having listened to metal a number of years before being introduced to Opeth, I just felt a need to point it out.

Those idiots that go on about someone not having any knowledge of the history of metal etc. etc. who really gives a SHIT? Opeth aren't entirely metal anyhow... they lie on the borderline, yet also transcend genres. Someone doesn't HAVE to dedicate their whole solitary lives to researching the history of all great metal bands and the roots of metal in order to enjoy the music... that's only left to the more hardcore listeners/musicians that are really passionate about their thing.

Anyhow, back to your topic, here are some of my favourite bands

Opeth (above all)
Meshuggah
In Flames (old era)
Sepultura (old era)
Emperor
Children of Bodom
Stabbing Westward
Morbid Angel

etc. etc.

Other metal bands I like:
Katatonia
Daylight Dies
Danzig (old stuff)
Slayer
Strapping Young Lad
Pantera
Tool

I guess I'm kind of a new fan, I read a review of Blackwater Park in Guitarist magazine when it came out, thought it sounded interesting, heard the Drapery Falls and loved it, bought the album, then got the rest, saw them live last year and again this year. So I may be one of those newish fans elitists despise, but pah I don't really care.

Devin Townsend
Opeth
Emperor
Arcturus
Blind Guardian
Septic Flesh
Samael
Obtained Enslavement
Carcass
Agalloch
Iron Maiden
Transatlantic
Porcupine Tree
Vintersorg
Nevermore
Ark
etc..

Theres not really a lot of old-skool in those lists there is there? So here's mine, from a newbie to Opeth -

Favourite bands - AC/DC, MAiden, Motorhead, Priest, Led Zeppelin, Def Leppard, Death, Anthrax, Megadeth, Slayer, The Beatles,G N'R, older Kiss, WASP, older Metallica, Slipknot (Iowa anyway), Xentrix, Carcass. And of course the mighty Opeth.

My intro to metal was from Bon Jovi, to Def Leppard, to Guns N Roses, then AC/DC then the floodgates opened and I started to appreciate Ride The Lightning and Reign In Blood. Only discovered Opeth last December when I saw areview of Deliverance and gave them a try - now Id say they're the best band around at the moment.

The Shape said:
One thing I've noticed around the internet alot lately is that Opeth(because of thier popularity) and thier fans get steriotyped and knocked on on alot. One thing I've seen mentioned 2 or 3 times is that Opeth fans are just a bunch of teenagersWith no sense of metal history. I just saw this somewhere a couple minutes ago and thought I would make a thread about it here.

Alot of people seem to think that Opeth's fanbase is made up mostly of little teenagers that came right out of the mainstream, stumbled upon Opeth somehow and now its all they litsen to, and they have no idea of what metal is, its history and where its roots lie.

So I guess this is kind of an experiment of sorts.

I need you to make a post listing not all, but some of the other metal bands you listen to and how you got into Opeth.

I'll start

Heres a few of my favorite bands:
Opeth (of coarse)
Judas Priest
Dark Fortess
Iced Earth
Iron Maiden
Dream Theater There are many others I listen to, but these tend to be towards the top of my favoites list.

How I got into Opeth:
Back in 2000 I read about Opeth and someone describing thier sound. I was entrigued, so I got on Naptser downloaded a few songs, liked what I heard and then went out and bought My Arms, Your Hearse. I listened to Opeth casually for a couple years and it wasn't till about the middle of 2002 that I heavily got into them, and they became my favorite band.

Please try and participate in this little experiment, as it will show us that we are not to be stereotyped, but rather are to be viewed just a bunch of great fans of a great band in the metal scene.

Thanks. :)

You're letting the elitists get to you and trying to prove your "worthiness". Fuck what others think about your choice in music. People love to hate Opeth because they are phenomenal talents and they aren't obscure devil worshippers living in a cave in Norway recording their music on 10 year old 4-tracks. You like them and that's all that matters. 14 or 44, it doesn't change a thing. Age is irrelevant when it comes to music.

np: Iron Maiden-Powerslave

I'm 14, so no, I have no sense of metal history. Although, I do listen to such old-school bands as Black Sabbath and Judas Priest.

I got into Opeth a few months ago, having just got into extreme metal. I bought the album Blackwater Park, just on the strength of one review. Since then, I've expanded my metal knowledge widely, but I'm still quite n00bish, really. :Smug:

I find it interesting that individuals can make a claim about another's music background by what is listened to. I was one of those individuals who stumbled upon Opeth, and yes they are my favorite band, but were can one draw a line to say that that is indicative of my music history. Yes, listening to certain music predisposes an individual to listening to similar music, but honestly who cares if someone doesn't have a music history.

There are those individuals who base their musical world upon knowing the history of bands, and where metal, or anyone other genre, came from. I honor that, but in the end it comes down to this: when music hits you, any kind of music, its one of the most fulfilling events in life.

So basically knowing your musical history is just a way that music hits specific individuals. If we Opeth fans are directly from the mainstream, as The Shape has demonstrated that others think this way, who cares! We enjoy listening to Opeth and that is honestly all that should ever matter.

Besides - when did listening to music require one to go to school on the subject? Food for thought.

I went to the Opeth show at the Fox Theater in Boulder, CO back in January (29th to be precise). We got there about 20 minutes early, so we had to stand outside for a little while. I went with two of my friends (twin brothers) who were somewhat fans, and we're all 15 years old. Anyway, the group of guys behind us were constantly muttering things about how 'a bunch of fucking teenieboppers' couldn't possibly listen to Opeth. This kind of elitism in the metal community pisses me off. So I'm not going to listen all my favorite bands to see if they're 'underground' or mainstream enough, because I don't give a shit. Who cares if someone 'knows their metal history' or listens to all the classic bands? I sure as hell don't.

Hey guys, I just registered today after lurking a bit...Opeth rocks.

Anyhow, I'm 18, and I got into metal back in 1999 or so.
First band: Metallica (I originally got RtL, MoP, and AJFA all at once after hearing some Metallica songs)
I first heard "The Moor" and "Blackwater Park" around this time but never got around to getting any Opeth CD's until later.
From here, next was probably Diamond Head or Motorhead, based on Metallica's influences as stated in Garage Inc.. Great NWOBHM.
Next was Metallica's estranged brother, Megadeth. Rust in Peace is one of the greatest albums ever.
Ozzy.
Pantera.
Fucking BLACK SABBATH.
Next, my friend Jerry (RIP), also a Metallica and true metal fan, told me about Iced Earth. After getting The Dark Saga, they became my favorite band. This became more and more evident after getting Horror Show, Something Wicked This Way Comes, and the Dark Genesis box set with their remaining work remastered.
Through Iced Earth, I learned of Blind Guardian. Wow!
Through Blind Guardian's touring, I learned of Symphony X, a local band to me.
Next, I went on a big shopping spree (January 2003?), picking up some older BG stuff, some SX stuff, some rock, and, most importantly, The Number of the Beast by Iron Maiden and Still Life by Opeth.
Woah.
Since then, I've gotten Maiden's Piece of Mind and Powerslave and Opeth's Blackwater Park, Deliverance, and Damnation, as well as The Blessed Hellride by Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society.

Before Metallica, I was getting into some classic rock (first with the Eagles, and later everything from AC/DC to the Who, including Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Guns N' Roses, the Doors, Aerosmith, and Bruce Springsteen.) I love it all, and especially enjoy the classic rock influence on Damnation.

edit: my metal collection is viewable here .

Started to listen to Opeth 1995, and metal 1991 or something. A bunch of favorite artists:

Absu
Accept
Amorphis
Anathema
Anthrax
Arcturus
Arch Enemy
At The Gates
Atheist
Bad Religion
Bathory
Beach Boys
Beatles
Chuck Berry
Biohazard
Black Sabbath
Blind Guardian
Bob hund
Borknagar
Burnt By The Sun
Camel
Candlemass
Cannibal Corpse
Control Denied
Cradle Of Filth
Crown
Cryptopsy
Cult Of Luna
Cynic
Dark Funeral
Darkane
Darkthrone
Dead Kennedys
Death
Deep Purple
Deicide
Dia Psalma
Dimmu Borgir
Dio
Dismember
Dissection
The Doors
Dream Theater
Dropkick Murphys
Dying Fetus
Edge Of Sanity
Emperor
Entombed
Eucharist
Evergrey
Faith No More
Fates Warning
Halford
Haunted
Hellacopters
Helloween
Immortal
Impaled Northern Moon Forest
In Flames
Iron Maiden
Isis
Judas Priest
Katatonia
King Diamond
Christian Kjellvander
Kreator
Kyuss
Limbonic Art
Macabre
Machine Head
Malevolent Creation
Manowar
Mastodon
Mayhem
Megadeth
Merciless
Mercyful Fate
Meshuggah
Metallica
Mithotyn
Morbid Angel
Mortiis
Motörhead
My Dying Bride
Mötley Crüe
Naglfar
Necrophobic
Neurosis
Nevermore
Nightingale
Nile
Nirvana
Nocturnus
Onkel Kånkel
Opeth
Ozzy Osbourne
Pantera
Paradise Lost
Pearl Jam
Pestilence
Philemon Arthur & the Dung
Pink Floyd
Queensrÿche
Rolling Stones
Rotting Christ
Satyricon
Sepultura
Sick Of It All
Slayer
S.O.D.
Soilent Green
Soilwork
Sportlov
Bruce Springsteen
Strapping Young Lad
Summoning
Symphony X
System Of A Down
Taake
Testament
The Kristet Utseende
Therion
Tiamat
Tool
Turbonegro
Twisted Sister
Type O Negative
Ulver
Unanimated
Vader
Vintersorg
Vrävarna
W.A.S.P.
The Who
Winds

Many of those who make generalisations about Opeth fans are just old and sentimental about the exciting classic metal days of Iron Maiden.

I've even heard and old guy say "Iron Maiden were the most progressive metal band ever. Opeth and Aghora however, are doing nothing original." Idiot.

My metal listening history:

Led Zeppelin - 1970 : I began to stray from the norm at the wee age of 10. For me, Led Zeppelin is the roots of my metal listening experience. I liked Judas Priest, but was not too fond of Black Sabbath. I never liked Ozzies voice, and only when Dio took over did I even give Black Sabbath a listen.

I've followed Metallica since their beginnings. Also liked bands such as Exodus, Slayer, Anthrax, Metal Church, Mercyful Fate, and many many others in the early 80's. I still think Possessed was my first taste of Death metal.

I listened to Death (R.I.P. Chuck), Fates Warning, Armored Saint, Celtic Frost, Venom, Megadeth. I liked the late 80's hair metal - Motley Crue, Winger, and others.

Jag Panzer, Leatherwolf, Tokyo Blade, Dark Angel - just a few more.

Opeth is now my favorite band. First song I ever heard was Bleak. I won an autographed Blackwater Park CD, and that album quickly became my favorite. I have since purchased the Opeth catalogue, and I find their music the most amazing.

I still listen to other metal bands - Meshuggah, Finntroll, Immolation, Dimmu Borgir, Strapping Young Lad, etc etc etc.

The list of bands I listen to is just too long, mainly becasue I've been listening to metal for 33 years. So I'd say, at least from my perspective, that this Opeth fan has a storied metal listening career, and I have many many bands to measure Opeth against - so to name them my #1 band is saying a lot.

I agree, questioning the credibility of Opeth's fanbase is reactionary bullshit...familiarity with related types of music shouldn't be a prerequisite for enjoying theirs, although it does help to understand Opeth's influences and ignorance should always be avoided.

Honestly, I started with Otep, some Godsmack, Rage, and Disturbed. I had about one song from each band and I was like "Yeah hardcore man!" and I was 13 back then.

So my first ever metal band was Opeth, and from then I felt devoted to listen to more metal bands. Some of my other favorite metal bands are small, obsure, underground bands. :) Sigh (not very small or obscure but yeah...), Hortus Animae, Thyrfing, Negura Bunget, Anorexia Nervosa, etc. Oh yeah, those are all black metal 'cept for Thyrfing, but Viking metal is basically black metal at its core. :)

I also like although rarely ever listen to

Ozzy Osbourne
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Van Halen (actually I love him)
Thin Lizzy

Morbid Angel
Death
Cannibal Corpse
Tristania

Katatonia
My Dying Bride
Electric Wizard
dISEMBOWELMENT

Emperor
Bathory
Mayhem
Burzum

I like to dip into all of metal's roots. :)

metalmancpa said:
My metal listening history:

Led Zeppelin - 1970 : I began to stray from the norm at the wee age of 10. For me, Led Zeppelin is the roots of my metal listening experience. I liked Judas Priest, but was not too fond of Black Sabbath. I never liked Ozzies voice, and only when Dio took over did I even give Black Sabbath a listen.

I've followed Metallica since their beginnings. Also liked bands such as Exodus, Slayer, Anthrax, Metal Church, Mercyful Fate, and many many others in the early 80's. I still think Possessed was my first taste of Death metal.

I listened to Death (R.I.P. Chuck), Fates Warning, Armored Saint, Celtic Frost, Venom, Megadeth. I liked the late 80's hair metal - Motley Crue, Winger, and others.

Jag Panzer, Leatherwolf, Tokyo Blade, Dark Angel - just a few more.

Opeth is now my favorite band. First song I ever heard was Bleak. I won an autographed Blackwater Park CD, and that album quickly became my favorite. I have since purchased the Opeth catalogue, and I find their music the most amazing.

I still listen to other metal bands - Meshuggah, Finntroll, Immolation, Dimmu Borgir, Strapping Young Lad, etc etc etc.

The list of bands I listen to is just too long, mainly becasue I've been listening to metal for 33 years. So I'd say, at least from my perspective, that this Opeth fan has a storied metal listening career, and I have many many bands to measure Opeth against - so to name them my #1 band is saying a lot.

Cool post. I have a question, were you listening to Jag Panzer in the 80's? Have you heard Ample Destruction?

The Shape said:
Cool post. I have a question, were you listening to Jag Panzer in the 80's? Have you heard Ample Destruction?

Of course I have - I've got the CD. Harder Than Steel and The Crucifix are my 2 favorites off the album. I also like their newer stuff - I love the song Take To The Sky.