Why do Opeth Fans get a bad rap?

FUBAR said:
^ I'd listen to the man he knows his shit

well, its not even that really...its just shes trying to make me out to be some arrogant know it all...yet shes continuously trying to prove me wrong on a subject ive taken years of research and interest in, and that she obviously knows very little about...it just seems sort of silly.

Ok I must admit POS thinking of 'Prog rock' and 'Progressive Rock' as two genres is very stupid

deliverance said:
haha thanks luz, but i don't drink alchohol.so perhaps a coke? haha

...mmmm...ok, I'll buy you a Coke, and I'll have a beer (for me) :loco: (I'm sorry, but I'm kinda Alcoholic haahahahaha) At least, we'll can sit and talk about music while we listen to Opeth.
\m/

Luz.-

NineFeetUnderground said:
well, i actually understand her reason for doing so, but its not out of stupidity as much as its just out of ignorance and naivity. so be fair

Ok, Sorry Pos your not stupid..................your ignorant and naive

in theory, what youre saying about the genres could be true...
well, at least you tried. *sigh*

Progressive rock was an entire genre of its own. With literally thousands of bands over a 2 decade period, and in many cases is still a genre worldwide...who influence hundreds of hundreds more. To need a term such as "classic prog rock" seems viable for this circumstance.
yes, but we were talking about prog metal here, not prog rock. i never said that prog rock is not a firmly established genre of it's own with it's own distinct definition. i have no problem with the creation of a 'classic prog rock' genre, but you'd have to be renaming the original innovators of the prog rock genre to 'classic prog rock' and the current innovators to simply 'progressive rock' (in case you haven't noticed, this is what I do with 'prog rock' and 'progressive rock', where your 'classic prog rock' would be my 'prog rock' and progressive rock is just that. progressive rock).

However, "progressive metal" didnt even exist until the late 80s/early nineties arguably...and since what was once progressive metal in those days, is now done quite commonly, theres nothing progressive about that style...
make up your mind. is 'progressive metal' a genre/style of music or not? it's not a genre unless it has it's own set of definitions defining the sound of the music. you don't change the definition of the genre (or in this case the word 'progressive' as it applies to metal) as you go along. that defeats it's own purpose.

which is actually how it should be...bands being called progressive, when they progress and change the genre as we know it. But the point is, there isnt a need for a term "classic progressive metal" which seems to be what youre saying. i hope you see the difference.
thank you for repeating everything i said using different words. i see where your argument coincides with mine. i don't see any counterpoints. were there any?

As for the personal commentary...i dont speak as if everything i know is fact,
well i'm sorry to inform you but that's what it sounds like. you don't 'inform' you 'instruct'. perhaps this stems from you considering yourself to be a progressive music expert but i guess we'll never know.

And as for your personal attacks...it wasnt once....it was twice including telling me i need "people" skills.
the only personal attack i've made on here in recent months was actually where i told someone they were obsessed with opeth with little to know basis in fact (ie: it required alot of extrapolation from comments he'd made). i'd did so cos i was flustered. if you're going to consider me patting you on the head as and insult or a personal attack, you're a dickhead (+1 personal attack/insult) and you really don't have a sense of humour (though you insisted otherwise at the time). and if you're going to do like wise with my comment about people skills, it's only a personal attack if it's wrong (again with the not open to the possibility of being wrong) i myself of course would look at it as a little constructive criticism. it was not said out of spite. it was not said to be degrading. i would only consider it a personal attack if it had absolutely no basis in fact whatsoever. wouldn't you agree?

I dont need people skills on the internet, i have plenty in person....
well we would have never known.

....nor do i need to dignify you with kindness or such "skills" ...
you do realise that's not the kinda comment one makes unless that feel they haven't been dignifying someone with said skills in the first place, right? it's like "i've been doing what i've been saying all along, but just in case i haven't i'm still in the right anyway" regardless, if this is the case, we're back to square one aren't we? your interactions with me (in the first place) are what caused my interactions with you to progress (pun really not intended :erk: ) to this level, thus justifying your own treatment of me.

i guess we could be sitting here discussing cause and effect for the next several hours. *sigh*

...when youve realized you dont really know what youre talking about.
you're doing it again... apparently this the result of this argument is already a foregone conclusion (in your mind at least). you've made up your mind and as such seem to be dismissing large parts of my argument left right and centre. i wonder why you even keep going since you know you're right.

and as a side note...stating theres "progressive rock" and "prog rock" as two different things, certainly embeds your ignorance on the topic in cement. its people like you who have made the great divide in those two terms in the first place.
that division is necessary, whether you like it or not, or have you missed the point on what genre's are all about. speaking of which, have you ever noticed how when something becomes widely accepted enough, it is accepted as fact? like the emergent difference between 'prog rock' (call it what you want if you will, classic prog or whatever. it's the same thing under a different name) and 'progressive rock'. or the fact that messugah is becoming more and more accepted as a progressive metal (amongst other labels) band. how do you supposed languages evolve nowadays for example?

FUBAR said:
Ok, Sorry Pos your not stupid..................your ignorant and naive
FUBAR said:
^ Dont worry shes got a sense of humour.........I think :erk:
may i ask who we're insulting here? (cos trust me, no matter how you look at it you're insulting one of us one way or another. :erk: )

shes never acted like a lady towards me. my first interaction ever with her was her insulting me...my 2nd interaction was her telling me i needed people skills etc....you get the idea.
are you generalising our posts (down to rough conversations) are you neglecting several posts between these two events?

*gives 9ftunder a grain of salt*

screw this. i'm going to bed.

I dunno...I think PoS and NineFeetUnderground both bring up alot of good points (regarding music, at least), but since music is up to interpretation by the listener, you can both call music whatever you want, nobody's going to stone you (except FUBAR, the equal-oppurtunity insulter....I'm just kidding!)

BUt as for the personal attacks....I don't really believe there were any, and not that it matters much, but I wouldn't have been insulted with what either of you said.

Whatever, i think you both just have to agree to disagree on some points

Hey I just realized that there is a type of cheese out there called Madrigal...not sure if it's a type or a brand name.

More details about this will arrive when I decide to care.

^ Cool I love cheese. Imagine if Opeth made a video for Madrigal I can imagine it being very slow paced with loads of slow zooming shots of cheese.

I might try and purchase some of this cheese and sell it on ebay under the Opeth section

Oh and I wasn't trying to deliberatly insult anyone, its just my kind of offbeat sense of humour. Cuz yo know I'm crazy :loco: wayhey :loco: Man I'm just nuts, totally off the wall ;)