Why do you love Opeth?

Fredy_Brown said:
Mathematically there is no 1st number ;)
Yes there is. Mathematically and physically, zero is the "neutral" number. An object is at rest when there is net force is zero, for example. And because as humans, we're taught to count postiviely, 1 would be the 1st number, while 2 being the 2nd.

^ stop making me think. An object =/= 0. That's goofy. And first is relative to time. If you read 3 before 4, then 3 is the first number. Its just a sound (or pixels.)

ok, that sentence had too many is's in it.

BRI said:
3 is not the first number.

Yes, thats right...
BUT if you try to read the WHOLE first post in this thread
you will find that Benighted Joe has already used no:s 1 and 2.
o_O

Like the intelligent member did who continued with 3...!
:)

blimey said:
I like opeth because I want to be different so that everybody thinks im unique and respects me!
but then ghost reveries came out and all the little opeth fanboys fucked up your plan...

you're special even without opeth...you're french canadian...

I KEED I KEED:wave:

#6 They are so sincere

There's something about them that is beyond definition... I believe it is their honest attitude in music making.

Everything sounds natural and "personal". No riff to show off. A total lack of fancy costumes and such. No posing. Just pure music. Every note rings true. You can't change a thing.

It is like as if they are communicating to you directly.

RiffBoy said:
Yes, thats right...
BUT if you try to read the WHOLE first post in this thread
you will find that Benighted Joe has already used no:s 1 and 2.
o_O

Like the intelligent member did who continued with 3...!
:)

WORD! Good lookin' out RiffBoy. I try to ignore people whom are either young or incompetent but when their post has no relevance to the thread, I have a tendency to think they want a rude or malicious response.

AI said:
I won't believe it till I see it :Spin:
STILL LIFE BOOKLET! sorry if thats already been told to him i cant bebother to read all of the posts

Thank you for all sincere posts.

I know, it's hard and kinda boring to write, over and over again, what you
love about Opeth. That's why this thread was supposed to be different.
Some got that, some didn't. I know it was a hard task: trying to specify the
details.

I mean, yeah, Opeth has perfect balance, that's is a very good observation,
but tell me more. Do you guys know why you love the mellow songs? The
astoundingly advanced riffs in them, to me, make them something else. And
have you ever noticed that Mike pronounces the words surprisingly good
even in the heavy songs? I've said that before but I really appreciate it.
This might be details that are clues to their greatness. I want to believe they
are. I know they are because no other band does this so well. Bands tend to
make 2-10 well-produced, nice-sounding songs and then it's all over and
downhill from that on end. Opeth never quits believing.

And as Liquid Diamond said: they truly believe in, and love what they do. That's
why Opeth will never be sell-outs or boring. I have come to believe that if
they do another record it will be EVEN better than the other ones.

cuntface said:
STILL LIFE BOOKLET! sorry if thats already been told to him i cant bebother to read all of the posts
That doesn't count. Everyone knows that Mike's moustache was digitally removed :p

AI said:
That doesn't count. Everyone knows that Mike's moustache was digitally removed :p
what the hell was the point of that! maby it wasnt maby its all lies, and all u little opeth fanboys will belive anything.

cuntface said:
what the hell was the point of that! maby it wasnt maby its all lies, and all u little opeth fanboys will belive anything.
Dude, you're taking things way too seriously ;)

Why Do I Love Opeth?

The signals my brain receives from my ears while listening to Opeth radiates thoughout my body and back to the brain again causing euphoria, pleasure, and happiness.

Oh yeah, and their music is great too.

Benighted Joe said:
Thanks for that diagnose doc.

Next!

No problem. But for a more technical explanantion:

I find Opeth's song structure amazing. When I first heard Bleak, I was introduced to a band that to me had a style all their own. From death metal growling to clean vocals. A drummer's sound I consider the sweetest - incredible fills with a jazz feel. Long songs that don't appear long - I never get bored listening to them, and many times I don't want the songs to end even after 10 minutes.

Seeing them live strengthens my feelings for them. They are as clean and amazing live as in the studio. Their musicianship shines on stage.

There are only a handful of bands that I love practically their entire catalogue - Opeth, Led Zeppelin, Grip Inc. Other bands I may like many songs, but not with the complete feel of the aforementioned. And of the 3 bands I listed, Opeth stands tall. They are sophisticated, powerful, gripping, emotional, and amazing.

It is difficult - and sometimes impossible - to be specific when it comes to music. Because taste easily becomes so very personal.

But as I analyze what I react upon I can add (apart from my last post):

The abundance of riffs. Not only in numbers, but in quality! Both musical and "clever" riffs. Played distinctly, with a great sound.

MetalManCPA said:
No problem. But for a more technical explanantion:

I find Opeth's song structure amazing. When I first heard Bleak, I was introduced to a band that to me had a style all their own. From death metal growling to clean vocals. A drummer's sound I consider the sweetest - incredible fills with a jazz feel. Long songs that don't appear long - I never get bored listening to them, and many times I don't want the songs to end even after 10 minutes.

Seeing them live strengthens my feelings for them. They are as clean and amazing live as in the studio. Their musicianship shines on stage.

There are only a handful of bands that I love practically their entire catalogue - Opeth, Led Zeppelin, Grip Inc. Other bands I may like many songs, but not with the complete feel of the aforementioned. And of the 3 bands I listed, Opeth stands tall. They are sophisticated, powerful, gripping, emotional, and amazing.

You are absolutely right! I don't want the songs to end either!

I don't want the album to end. Especially not if I'm out listening
on my mp3.

RiffBoy said:
It is difficult - and sometimes impossible - to be specific when it comes to music. Because taste easily becomes so very personal.

But as I analyze what I react upon I can add (apart from my last post):

The abundance of riffs. Not only in numbers, but in quality! Both musical and "clever" riffs. Played distinctly, with a great sound.

YEAH! Okay, they got long songs, but they usually have at least 5 riffs.

Benighted, Excellent 10 reasons, could'nt have said it any better. For me, the concept of "Still Life" just fuckin' knocked me out. I was dealing with a situation with a former honey that was similiar to what Michael was singing about. Albeit, not as extreme as "Still Life" but I was able to relate in so many ways. That album helped me through a lot of pain. Akerfeldts guitar playing is superb: metal, jazz, folk he truly is an amazing talent. The voice is simply phenominal. I've always loved bands with a strong bottom. Mendez and Lopex are beasts. Opeth, also is about musical integrity. I can't see them ever wavering on their Art and what they are composing. If Mozart or Beethoven were metal musicians this might just be what they would be composing. I used to laugh at the "death growls." Opeth has helped me to not only like them,but to appreciate them. I don't know, but the impact that "Still Life" had on my state of mind is sublime. Therefore, I have picked it as the best Metal album of all time. Peace.

ironbeard said:
.... I was dealing with a situation ....That album helped me through a lot of pain.

For those who have known me here since 2001, I too was dealing with a situation, and Opeth and this forum helped me through some pretty heavy shit. For me, it was Blackwater Park and more especially The Drapery Falls that took me away when I needed to leave the real world for a bit.

That's another thing about Opeth - just by listening to Opeth I can close my eyes and be wisked away someplace. It's amazing coming to in an hour and realizing that even though your body was there, you weren't.