you guys really pondered why? What exactly makes the songs so mighty and
hard to get tired of? Some ppl on this forum have written that they cannot
sleep if they dont hear at least one song before, other say they listen to
Opeth every day.

So, my proposal is that you try to come up with at least one unique
(in this thread) thing that make you come back to Opeth. We all know they
have long songs and that they're great musicians. Try to dig deeper and give
examples... Perhaps you like the way Mendez does his subtle, yet awesome
bass lines? Or Mike's dynamic voice? Maybe the concepts turn you on? Tell us! :Spin:

#1 Their use of acoustic guitar strumming over electric guitars.
This creates a glimmer that not everyone hear at first, but I think it is
one thing that makes you wanna hear that part again. Because when you
notice it you love it. A very obvious example is the song "When", but
there are tons of other examples, more subtle ones, like Ghost of Perdition
for instant.

#2 The lack of synthesizers and samplings.
Many bands use voice or movie samplings, synthesizers and/or keyboards.
Seems like Opeth's songs doesn't need a cool movie sampling or a
monotonous synthesizer-riff in the chorus to be good. I really appreciate that
because it makes the music more pure.

The concepts turn me on...
It's quite certain: it's oracular, what I say.
I know, and unaware how to express myself without pagan words, I'd rather be mute

Mike has one of the most unique takes on extreme vocals I've ever heard. He has such a ferocious voice, and I don't even call it death metal vocals, it's like some sort of weird middle ground between death and black metal vocals, with such more spit and roar and just, ooo, it sends shivers down my spine.

His clean singing is smooth and warm and very melodic and nice.

The drumming is tight and strong.

the bass playing is good, and actually audible which I like to hear since so many metal bands drown out their bassists.

The guitar work is beyond top-notch. Brilliant composition.

The songs are fantastic epics! Everyone is grand and majestic and epic and exciting. Opeth are a unique band that could never be replaced. And any band that qualifies as that unique is something special in my book!

I was going to come up with a really long, detailed definition of why I love them the way I do. But I don't think it's necessary.

They're the best band I've ever heard.

Little other music moves me like it.

'Nuff said!

Liquid Diamonds said:
I was going to come up with a really long, detailed definition of why I love them the way I do. But I don't think it's necessary.

They're the best band I've ever heard.

Little other music moves me like it.

'Nuff said!

Fair enough. You can get away with that since you got a way cool
sig, but the hard thing is to put into words what actually makes the music good 'cept for the great musicians Opeth consist of.

Benighted Joe said:
Fair enough. You can get away with that since you got a way cool
sig, but the hard thing is to put into words what actually makes the music good 'cept for the great musicians Opeth consist of.

Hmmm, fair enough. Perhaps a little more effort is reqired. Here goes:

10 Reasons Why I Love Opeth

1. Something that's always sruck me about Mike as a writer is that all of the influences that can be heard in his writing are drawn from what he loves. Any time Mike tries something different, it's because he's truely passionate about the idea. nothing is forced, which is why the songs flow so naturally for such long periods of time. For every note of music the man writes, he's doing something he loves to do. And it really comes across.

2. The musicianship, by all parties, is exceptional. I would say especially on the parts of Mike and Lopez. Mike draws a tone from his guitar unlike any other I've heard (at least, withing the confines of metal). He really manages to make the instrument 'sing', in a way that no other guitarist really seems able to. The emotive nature of his leads astounds me. And as for Lopez, well... the man is just a machine! He has an astonishing ability to come up with the perfect drum pattern every time. it doesn't matter where Mike is going with the structure, it doesn't matter mow simple or oddball, how heavy or gentle... Martin can give it groove. I don't think any other drummer has a mastery of playing in several varied styles like Lopez does. Definately not any that spring to my mind, that's for sure.

3. Especially with the current line-up, Opeth are tighter than any other band. I know some people that feel like they're almost 'too slick', but I disagree. Everything is done to perfection, but that is good, because perfection is the only way to justify Mike's soundscapes. They respect that, the better the production they can attain, the better the songs come over. No matter what you think of Ghost Reveries, you can't deny that the production is top-notch. If you don't like the songs, fair play to you, but you can't argue that they aren't put over in the best possible light.

4. Mike always seems to like to try something different. Damnation, as an example. I love this because, while they stay true to their fundamental sound, it makes Opeth impossible to pigeon-hole. And as a result, they never get stale.

5. Their songs are never 'obvious'. because Mike writes organically, they are, more often than not, unpredictable. Whether it be the use of syncopation (the rhythm guitars at the entrance of the growls on 'The Grand Conjuration', the end of 'Deliverance'), or use of bizzare, yet intriguing, chords and harmonies (the end of 'Closure'), there is always something forward-thinking to the way Mike writes.

6. They're cool people. I know this isn't much of a reason to like a band, but it just makes me extra fond of them. Mike is possiby the most amiable metal front man of all time. In a good way :)

7. Live, they slaughter.

8. Mikes voice is incredible. And it just gets stronger. The clean vocals appeal to me far more than any other metal vocals I can think of, and as for the growls... well, they just chew up everybody elses comparatively feeble attempts and spit them out. Seriously, I like a lot of harsh vocalists, but it never ceases to amaze me just how much better Mike is than the rest of them. It's odd... the man's just so damn gifted!!!!!

9. They pretty much got me into heavier music. I love all styles, but I probably have more metal records than anything else. That just wouldn't be the case if it weren't for Opeth. And I thank them for it. Blackwater Park genuinely did change my life.

10. They'll never sell out. Anyone who says they have can go fuck themselves. Mike, Peter, Per and the Martins' will always stay true to what they want to do. Above anything, they know that's why their fan base is the most devoted (if not the biggest). Through this perseverance, they will go from strength to strength. Give them a couple of years, and they'll be bigger than you ever imagined. And they still won't suck. I'd put money on it.

There, that's more like it. Not sure if it made total sense though :lol:
Well, I tried. thank you for the comment about my sig, btw :)

#3- Opeth embodies to me what music is all about, expression of emotion. I have never listened to music that pulled soo many heart muscles. The complimentary playing on everyone in the bands behalf makes Opeth not only
the greatest prog band ever but probably the most expressive band ever.

#4- The musicality of everyone in the band, yeah, I know Mikael writes like everything other than drums and Peters solo's , but I feel that is changing. Regardless whether they all have more of a say in the writing aspect, as Mikael has said numerous times since Deliverance/ Damnation that they will never rush a production like that again, hence showing that more input and influence will come from the other members. Wow kinda sounded like a psychologist right there, now I'm scaring myself.

#5- THEY'RE THE SICKEST BAND ON THE PLANET!

thEDrizzle said:
#3- Opeth embodies to me what music is all about, expression of emotion. I have never listened to music that pulled soo many heart muscles. The complimentary playing on everyone in the bands behalf makes Opeth not only
the greatest prog band ever but probably the most expressive band ever.

#4- The musicality of everyone in the band, yeah, I know Mikael writes like everything other than drums and Peters solo's , but I feel that is changing. Regardless whether they all have more of a say in the writing aspect, as Mikael has said numerous times since Deliverance/ Damnation that they will never rush a production like that again, hence showing that more input and influence will come from the other members. Wow kinda sounded like a psychologist right there, now I'm scaring myself.

#5- THEY'RE THE SICKEST BAND ON THE PLANET!
3 is not the first number.

Fredy_Brown said:
Mathematically there is no 1st number ;)

Serious, BRI, post something interesting, contribute! Some people are just learining how to socialize and don't understand how to reply to such an intuative piece of litterary prose.

P.S. and if there were a first number, I think it would be zero