Why must Opeth fans be such bitches?

them][nstrel

Flying Finn
Jan 26, 2003
Sweden
www.voxhouse.net
Many of you made poor examples out there at the shows, I have heard it all over the place how Paradise Lost was received by you with calls of "you suck" etc. I think this kind of behavior is lame, I mean you had to wait what, 45 min - 1 hour for them? Big fuckin' deal, if you don't like them at least have some decency so it can be enjoyable to the others that came to see PL, and maybe just maybe PL could remember the tour with Opeth as a favorable one, instead they probably will want nothing to do with the band after this. Don't get me wrong, I like Opeth ok but some of you kids are fucking morons. Paradise Lost influenced a lot of your favorite bands and deserve respect. Not only that, their new material is actually quite good.

Please spare us from your generalisations. Some people here are genuine PL fans, and were genuinely not impressed with their performance. While of course that doesn't call for calls of 'you suck', that hardly means that all of us here at the Opeth forum are guilty of that. By the way, if you look through some of the topics around here, you'll find a person that thought PL sucked, yet felt sorry for them when the calls came.

I said "many of you". And the title was not "Why must ALL Opeth fans be bitches".. but the fact remains, it was Opeth's audience doing the catcalling. It's also a well known fact many seem to regard them as metal gods of some kind.. thus it is not out of the ordinary for them to regard other bands as inferior or a nuisance of some kind. So, a generalization must be made, since I cannot address specific people. Basically, this thread is to whoever was doing it and whoever thinks that way.. you should be ashamed to call yourself a metalhead.. True metal fans are more intelligent and respectful, the rest are just bandwagon hoppers.....

I think the "you suck" people were fucking idiots, but that's ok, it's not their fault that they are young and/or stupid.

They were a very small minority by the way.

I noticed that there was a lot more idiots at last night's show than at their previous shows. I guess that happens when a band starts getting popular and selling out shows like that.

Satori

Yeah, that's atrocious, not right at all... Although if Opeth end up touring here and get Blooduster as support, I think I'll be doin the same. That band just suck royal dick and I don't really want to pay a couple of dollars extra for them to waste my time with their set.

Oh for fuck's sake them][nstrel, who gives a fuck? Seriously, who does? I mean, come on, imagine if PL had been opening for Slayer. I could easily say there would have been more than 'you suck' coming from the audience. Heckling is a sad reality for support bands, its always been that way and it always will be. If they can't take it, then they should stop playing live and just piss off. A band that can deal with hecklers gets instant respect from me, definitely more than a band that storms off the stage in protest.

It's such a shitty thing to be whining about, i'll bet PL themselves dont give a fuck about it (and are probably pretty used to it these days seeing as how shit they are) anyway. Support bands have to be ready to take this kind of shit.

I do hate when people heckle bands. If they don't like them, keep their mouths shut. I did not like PL, so I just zoned out for 45 minutes.

if the band REALLY sucks that bad (like all the opening bands at lamour in NY), who cares if people yell shit out.... but signed bands like paradise lost should not have to deal with that. yes im sure they are used to it, and can deal with it, but they shouldn't have to.

Yeah, although Paradise Lost put on possibly the most boring performance I've ever witnessed... I too was disappointed in the heckling. Not cool.

I can't name a single band I listen to that was influenced by PL.

I, as does everyone, like Draconian Times. Incredibly solid album. I do not in the least like any of the stuff from the past 5 or 6 years. I didn't heckle them until they did their whole "We're playing our last song" and continued to play the two songs they had scheduled as an encore after noone cheered or anything. "We're going to..." "JESUS CHRIST STOP PLAYING ALREADY!" And he looked at me. I'm sorry, I'm usually really good about it but an hour is TOO LONG for them to be playing. The first half hour I somewhat enjoyed, theyw ere not a band meant to play for an hour though, especially to the Opeth crowd with their new material. At Jaxx people seemed relatively good about it, for TTV as well. Got nicer people here I guess. Not really anyone liked them (I didn't mind TTV, sounded almsot ambient) btu we had the decency to keep our mouthes shut.

Of course, why do we have to? I mean, we're free to like or dislike, and shlow our like or dislike, whenever we feel. Especially to bands who are snobby, Paradise Lost falling neatly into that category. They were elitist and stuck on themselves, one of the reasons I felt I should say soemthing. That and the boredom was becoming unbearable.

Originally posted by poptartofdeath
I can't name a single band I listen to that was influenced by PL.

Mikael is a PL fan.

Originally posted by poptartofdeath

Of course, why do we have to? I mean, we're free to like or dislike, and shlow our like or dislike, whenever we feel.

Well, that shows some lack of decency there.

It's tough performing in front of a crowd that might not like your music, and you try your best to win over a few new people each night, and when the crowd gives off a negative energy, if effects the bands overall performance, and it sucks. We had great outings with Opeth, and thankfully, the crowd loved us, but as someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Paradise Lost has influenced almost every band in this genre, and most of the newer Opeth fans, may be too young to fully understand that. Most of these people name Draconion Times as paradise Lost. Guess what, they did a little CD years before that called Gothic, which was one of the most original sounding CDs of it's kind at the time, and 90% of your "Melodic" death or doom bands has borrowed from it in one way or another.

It doesn't change the fact that when I saw them at Irving Plaza, every friggin' song sounded exactly the same. It actually made me disappointed that I arrived during the end of TTV's set.