Why are some Opeth fans so annoying?

Every band has annoying fans, but Jerkface has a point. Opeth's fans tend to be far more vocal than the majority of other bands' fans, putting them up there in the Tool, Dream Theater, and In Flames echelon of annoyance.

Does it really make a difference if Mikael shaves his beard, or who Melinda is, or that you hear Mikael sigh in a song? No, it doesn't.

Static has a point as well. All of these newbies love to rant about how they discovered Opeth, like the band is some sort of Holy Grail of music. They then proceed to place themselves on a high-horse because supposedly listening to Opeth means you're open-minded and that it's thinking-man's music. Of course, this is total bullshit. Opeth's music is really not hard to grasp at all. Many more bands out there require an "open mind" far more than Opeth. Opeth is for beginners in extreme metal, so an open mind is hardly warranted or needed. Am I wrong? Seriously, if you wanted to expose your friend to some extreme music, I bet most of you would pick Opeth or some other happy-go-lucky Swedish metal. Your friend will hardly have an "open mind" on his first listen. That's just not going to happen. So if Opeth requires an "open mind", why would you start there? The answer is simple. I hope the pseudo-intellectuals in this forum can figure it out.

And another thing. Many bands combine softer passages with death metal. It's really nothing new. Opeth didn't invent it, nor have they perfected it.

Reactions: R.I.P.2
Dreamlord said:
Every band has annoying fans, but Jerkface has a point. Opeth's fans tend to be far more vocal than the majority of other bands' fans, putting them up there in the Tool, Dream Theater, and In Flames echelon of annoyance.

Does it really make a difference if Mikael shaves his beard, or who Melinda is, or that you hear Mikael sigh in a song? No, it doesn't.

Static has a point as well. All of these newbies love to rant about how they discovered Opeth, like the band is some sort of Holy Grail of music. They then proceed to place themselves on a high-horse because supposedly listening to Opeth means you're open-minded and that it's thinking-man's music. Of course, this is total bullshit. Opeth's music is really not hard to grasp at all. Many more bands out there require an "open mind" far more than Opeth. Opeth is for beginners in extreme metal, so an open mind is hardly warranted or needed. Am I wrong? Seriously, if you wanted to expose your friend to some extreme music, I bet most of you would pick Opeth or some other happy-go-lucky Swedish metal. Your friend will hardly have an "open mind" on his first listen. That's just not going to happen. So if Opeth requires an "open mind", why would you start there? The answer is simple. I hope the pseudo-intellectuals in this forum can figure it out.

And another thing. Many bands combine softer passages with death metal. It's really nothing new. Opeth didn't invent it, nor have they perfected it.

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better myself. This is why most Opeth fans bug the hell out of me. They think they're so damn cool and underground, but they come off really lame. And yes, Opeth is pretty easy to understand compared to many metal bands out there these days, but yet, those same Opeth fans never get to hear them because they're so focused on talking about Opeth 24/7.

jerkface - this is the most retarded thread i have seen in a while.

Have you ever thought that its not just "Hardcore opeth fans" who act like this? have you ever considered that it might just be 90 percent of ALL PEOPLE?
come on man. Every band has its share of stupid fans.

EDIT: I'd say that people who only focus their attention on a certain genre are more annoying.

Dreamlord said:

Very well said.

Or just shut the fuck up, because whining only makes you as bad as the others.

Or maybe they're just opinionated! Hooray! What I suspect you thought when you (Harvest) posted that, was that Jerkface was making way too big a deal about how people react to music (which I don't necessarily agree with), but you're doing the same thing! There is no right way to react to an artist's music. Good music lets you use it to your own advantage. Good music is "What does it do for you?" music. While Opeth can't really fit into that kind of "think for yourself, question authority" (and I'm not saying that's the only kind of music you can use for yourself *cough* Tool *cough*), everyone has the right to react to Opeth's music differently. Of course, when some kid who only listens to Slipknot finds out about Opeth and likes it, he'll probably go to school bragging about how cool he is for listening to the band and make fun of all the fans of all the mainstream rock stuff. Of course.

It doesn't make you a "trend fag" to talk alot about the band. Opeth's music is so good I can hardly shut up about them once someone gets me started. That's how alot of people react to their music. They want to tell others about it. Sort of pseudo-religious. When you go to an Opeth concert, you can look around and see what kinds of people are there. You can see the people who are going there to check out a new band that sounded cool / the people who are into lots of metal, might do reviews for a website or a magazine, who stand there and smoke while talking to a buddy, or something. They don't make that big a deal about it, or get into it as much. And that's not always the case, after all, I'm stereotyping. And then you can see the types of people who are there for Opeth. They're huge fans of the band, aren't ashamed of not liking that much other metal, and they're really getting into the concert. Now, who there is wrong? If I had the money, I'd go to a concert for the fun of checking out the band. If I was into lots of metal, and Opeth happened to be a band that I hadn't heard of or didn't know much about (that's pretty much impossible, now), I'd probably just observe more than headbang, or something. That is, unless I was at a Deliverance show. And if I was a die-hard fan of Opeth, I'd get way into the show. And I am a die-hard fan of Opeth. And there are other reasons someone would go to an Opeth concert. Any concert, for that matter.

How I receive Jerkface's comments has nothing to do Opeth. It's more of his not liking when people talk about a band alot. That's how I see it. =|

KennonKun said:
While Opeth can't really fit into that kind of "think for yourself, question authority" (and I'm not saying that's the only kind of music you can use for yourself *cough* Tool *cough*)

:lol: "think for yourself, question authority"
Timothy Leary was an idiot. Its a good thing Richard Alpert realized this.

i concur!

this board is full of over analytical and over sensitive people, how you guys can spend so much time just talking about opeth is beyond me, i fucking love opeth,but i dont want to talk about them all the fucking time. this board is boring as fuck anyway, thats why i only post here about twice a week.

most of the topics are gay as fuck, like that other dude said, about mikeals hair or his clothes or if your mom likes opeth or whatever.

the end

"concur" and "gay as fuck" don't mix too well in a post.

but i see what your saying. you should also note that the people who made those weird posts were joking... unless you have a sence of humor?
I usually dont go to this board to talk about opeth, but to check out some other cool bands that others post about.

KennonKun said:
Or maybe they're just opinionated! Hooray! What I suspect you thought when you (Harvest) posted that, was that Jerkface was making way too big a deal about how people react to music (which I don't necessarily agree with), but you're doing the same thing! There is no right way to react to an artist's music. Good music lets you use it to your own advantage. Good music is "What does it do for you?" music. While Opeth can't really fit into that kind of "think for yourself, question authority" (and I'm not saying that's the only kind of music you can use for yourself *cough* Tool *cough*), everyone has the right to react to Opeth's music differently. Of course, when some kid who only listens to Slipknot finds out about Opeth and likes it, he'll probably go to school bragging about how cool he is for listening to the band and make fun of all the fans of all the mainstream rock stuff. Of course.

It doesn't make you a "trend fag" to talk alot about the band. Opeth's music is so good I can hardly shut up about them once someone gets me started. That's how alot of people react to their music. They want to tell others about it. Sort of pseudo-religious. When you go to an Opeth concert, you can look around and see what kinds of people are there. You can see the people who are going there to check out a new band that sounded cool / the people who are into lots of metal, might do reviews for a website or a magazine, who stand there and smoke while talking to a buddy, or something. They don't make that big a deal about it, or get into it as much. And that's not always the case, after all, I'm stereotyping. And then you can see the types of people who are there for Opeth. They're huge fans of the band, aren't ashamed of not liking that much other metal, and they're really getting into the concert. Now, who there is wrong? If I had the money, I'd go to a concert for the fun of checking out the band. If I was into lots of metal, and Opeth happened to be a band that I hadn't heard of or didn't know much about (that's pretty much impossible, now), I'd probably just observe more than headbang, or something. That is, unless I was at a Deliverance show. And if I was a die-hard fan of Opeth, I'd get way into the show. And I am a die-hard fan of Opeth. And there are other reasons someone would go to an Opeth concert. Any concert, for that matter.

How I receive Jerkface's comments has nothing to do Opeth. It's more of his not liking when people talk about a band alot. That's how I see it. =|

If you ever tried talking to me about Opeth I'd probably punch you in the face. You're annoying.

I dunno about you guys, but I just listen to Opeth cause they fucking rock...I mean...isn't that why most people listen to music they like? I listen to fucking Coldplay and the Flaming Lips too, I mean, why can't people just listen to music they enjoy, instead of what is tr00? Bullshit, anyways, to the hypocrites who talk shit about "obsessive Opeth fans" I'd say you yourselves fall into that catagory somewhat if you regularly read an Opeth board, let alone post there and get angry about the sad state of posts. Not to start a flame war or anything, but honestly.

jester00 said:
why is this thread so gay
Because it likes threads of the same gender! :p

Funnily enough, I used to be one of those guys who would rant and rave about Opeth every chance I got but I settled into things and now I just listen to the music and show up at their shows when they hit NYC... Oh, and the only memorabilia I own of the band are their official studio albums. :)